Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I'm not a VW Fan but. . .power and AWD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 04:25 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm not a VW Fan but. . .power and AWD!

Volkswagen has publicly confirmed plans to build an upscale Passat with sleek coupe-like styling, but there's no need to wait for the 2008 models to see one - we have an artist's interpretation right here.

Volkswagen is planning to jump right in and take advantage of the popularity of the Mercedes CLS styling, and will offer their own German-built four-door coupe/sedan, codenamed "CC" at a far lower price.

The Passat Coupe isn't expected to be shown until the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show, but details are already trickling out. Sources are telling us that the base engine on the coupe will be a four-cylinder with 150 horsepower; the top-of-the-line offerings will include a 280-horsepower 3.6-liter VR6 engine, and a 400-horsepower R36 turbocharged version. Hybrid versions are expected to follow shortly after the initial introduction.

The Passat coupe will be available with front-wheel drive or with the 4Motion all-wheel-drive system.

Source: Thecarconnection.com
Old 01-23-06, 05:18 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by upbull340
Volkswagen has publicly confirmed plans to build an upscale Passat with sleek coupe-like styling, but there's no need to wait for the 2008 models to see one - we have an artist's interpretation right here.

Volkswagen is planning to jump right in and take advantage of the popularity of the Mercedes CLS styling, and will offer their own German-built four-door coupe/sedan, codenamed "CC" at a far lower price.

The Passat Coupe isn't expected to be shown until the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show, but details are already trickling out. Sources are telling us that the base engine on the coupe will be a four-cylinder with 150 horsepower; the top-of-the-line offerings will include a 280-horsepower 3.6-liter VR6 engine, and a 400-horsepower R36 turbocharged version. Hybrid versions are expected to follow shortly after the initial introduction.

The Passat coupe will be available with front-wheel drive or with the 4Motion all-wheel-drive system.

Source: Thecarconnection.com
--> Car Chat

Very cool indeed. Although I'm a little worried that we're going to see another Phaeton: a terrible execution of a great idea.

I'm a big fan of the Volkswagen Eos concept:

Old 01-23-06, 05:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

If its going to be more expensive than the Passat, then I think low 40K range will be fine as long as it has the looks to back it up. It might sell great at that price point. Thats what they should have done from the get go. Gradually build up to a higher price point, not jump right into it with the Phaeton. I still believe they should leave this market for Audi.
Old 01-23-06, 05:35 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 01-23-06, 05:42 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

It honestly looks like a facelifted Phaeton.

And oh, by the way: it's DAMN sexy
Old 01-24-06, 04:59 AM
krs71
Rookie

the biggest problem is price points with VW......they should leave it to the luxury brand to sell high end vehicles, and stick the to the competitive market that they sell themselves to. A 40K Passat better have some serious stuff other than just looks......
Old 01-24-06, 05:20 AM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

i love the new CLS. it has very sleek styling
Old 01-24-06, 07:17 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luv Da Lex
i love the new CLS. it has very sleek styling
Ya but that back seat has got to be tight!
Old 01-24-06, 08:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Down here in Mexico, VW is king of everything. I am sure when we get that car down here, I can take it for a test drive and most of the time certain VW models never make it to the states.
Old 01-24-06, 11:32 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Down here in Mexico, VW is king of everything. I am sure when we get that car down here, I can take it for a test drive and most of the time certain VW models never make it to the states.
Beetles, Jetta's, and Golf/GTI's are made down there, aren't they?

I'm interested to see this car. I'll grab a test drive once they're available. If they price it correctly it won't flop like the Phaeton did. VW's about features for your buck, and having an $80,000 vehicle isn't really living up to the name.
Old 01-24-06, 02:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Beetles, Jetta's, and Golf/GTI's are made down there, aren't they?

I'm interested to see this car. I'll grab a test drive once they're available. If they price it correctly it won't flop like the Phaeton did. VW's about features for your buck, and having an $80,000 vehicle isn't really living up to the name.
Phaeton never got down here and it would compete against the A8. I have noticed we don't get the range we do in the states with some companies or the highpowered models in some cases as they would compete on prices against other model ranges.

This is our model range down here, http://mx.autos.yahoo.com/newcars/vo...e_overview.php

(conversion is about 10 pesos to 1 dollar)

I think the cars you mentioned are all made at the plant over in Puebla.
Old 01-24-06, 05:40 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Looks good!
Old 01-24-06, 05:49 PM
LexFather

VW, get this through your think heads.
We dont' want 30k Jettas.
We don't want 40k Passats.
We don't want 80k Phaetons
We don't want 50-60k Passat Coupes.

Even the Beetle can get in the over 20k range.

For those prices, I won't even step in the VW dealership. And clearly, the rest of AMERICA feels the same way.

There is nothing really wrong with the cars, but nothing just smashing about them either. Add poor reliablity and Japanese styling, with the Audi grill(I LOVED THE OLD BOX LOOK) and well, what are they?

Old 01-24-06, 05:52 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
VW, get this through your think heads.
We dont' want 30k Jettas.
We don't want 40k Passats.
We don't want 80k Phaetons
We don't want 50-60k Passat Coupes.

Even the Beetle can get in the over 20k range.

For those prices, I won't even step in the VW dealership. And clearly, the rest of AMERICA feels the same way.

There is nothing really wrong with the cars, but nothing just smashing about them either. Add poor reliablity and Japanese styling, with the Audi grill(I LOVED THE OLD BOX LOOK) and well, what are they?
As much as I agree with you, the Phaeton's are a popular car in Tampa... the W12's are all over the place around here. I see more of them than I do the V8.
Old 01-24-06, 11:38 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diablo1
Ya but that back seat has got to be tight!
not really...

Quick Reply: I'm not a VW Fan but. . .power and AWD!