Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why hasn't Lexus bankrupted BMW and Mercedes yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 10:05 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenty
drive a BMW then drive a Lexus and you'll understand from a drivers standpoint why BMW is still king. Simple as that.
It depends on what kind of BMW and Lexus. Drove a M5 and go back and drive a RX330? Of course you will take a BMW. But btw 330i and IS350? umm i am not so sure (look at my signature for a hint) Magazines may say 3 series is the king and blah blah blah, but for me 306 hps is pretty hard to resist. . every single time I put my foot on the accelerator, it makes me SMILE, no it makes me laugh even! I will never get used to that!
Old 12-30-05, 10:22 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenty
drive a BMW then drive a Lexus and you'll understand from a drivers standpoint why BMW is still king. Simple as that.
I've driven BMWs and I've driven Lexi. They are both very different cars.

But the question is, "WHICH DO YOU PREFER?" For myself, I like the comfort and luxury of Lexus, no matter how well a comprable BMW handles.

From a driver's standpoint (mine, that is), BMW is not always the king...
Old 12-30-05, 10:25 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
From a driver's standpoint (mine, that is), BMW is not always the king...

I am with you and i see you have IS350 as well
Old 12-31-05, 01:38 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on what you mean by " get " to drive. If I wanted a BMW 6-series enough I would have one too....I can afford one ( marginally ). I simply don't care for them. However, you are correct that it is nice that genearch can afford to drive the car he really wants....something to be thankful for. Lots of people can't.
Well, that comment was more for those that see nothing other than Lexus. It should be a given that all of us Lexus owners here share at least some degree of bias toward Lexus for one reason or another, or we wouldn't be owners. With that said, you at least recognize the diffrerence between the different brands out there and what their weakness and stregths are. The comment wasn't about the cost of the car but moreso in jest toward those that don't appreciate anything other than Lexus.
Old 12-31-05, 01:53 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also, many own both. There are those that want a nice cushy ride when they take their wife and kids out to dinner and take the Lexus out. Or, take the BMW or other car out on the weekend. Then take yet another car out to the track. Then go cruise once a month in a 60s muscle car with the local car club. I personally think it is fun to experience different types off cars.
Old 12-31-05, 03:07 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

One point that hasn't been mentioned yet is that BMWs and MBs are designed to be driven safely at max speed all day long. Europeans will never equate Lexus ( or any japanese car) with their MBs and BMWs simply for that reason. While we in the US might not get to drive our cars faster than 75mph to appreciate this,european engineers spend countless hours perfecting their suspensions ,steering systems and brakes for such speeds . A harsh German suspension at 45mph should be great at a 155mph.

If I lived in Germany and could drive on the Autobahn my first ,second and third choice would be a German car and I would probably never consider a Lexus. I truly believe that Lexus became such a success by focusing their engineering to meet the driving environment in this country and offer a luxurious and reliable car intended for the American consumer at a lower price than the germans. For us consumers the more choices we have the better.

Last edited by cantsleepnk; 12-31-05 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-31-05, 06:08 AM
jhenty
Pole Position

the new is350 is awesome. Frankly I would buy it before a 330i anyday and I grew up driving lexus' and bmws so I know both cars very well. But I still cant deny that lexus may never achieve the BMW feel and drive, but theres nothing wrong with that, Lexus has its own car and BMW has theres. From a pure drivers standpoint BMW will win 90% of the time. But its always an opinion and in the end what the buyer feels fits them the best. The new is350 gets my vote for that car segment easily because I know its gorgeous, fast, handles well, and most importantly reliable. The BMWs that I've owned have been completely reliable, but that doesnt mean they will go 200,000 miles as easily as a lexus.
Old 12-31-05, 08:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

In Mexico, Lexus has not even made inroads (just Toyota and just since 2002). In Central America and very few places in South America one can find Lexus, though Toyota is common. Most friends with luxury cars have either Audi (huge down here), BMW or Mercedes...period. Acura is here but has yet to make great strides and Infiniti was an absolute bust due to poor model selection.

Another thing, there is a wide misconception (among several of my friends) that BMW and Mercedes are the best quality cars in the world. They were startled when I showed them Consumer Reports and J.D. Power and claimed it was a lie. However, when I ask them why they are always shelling out cash at the dealer for parts or repairs...they got the point...price isn't everything.
Old 12-31-05, 09:43 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Another thing, there is a wide misconception (among several of my friends) that BMW and Mercedes are the best quality cars in the world. They were startled when I showed them Consumer Reports and J.D. Power and claimed it was a lie.

It's true,
Much of the general public has no idea what cars rate in quality. A lot go by what it was like in the past. If you tell someone that a new Mercedes or BMW will have a good amount more problems than a new Hyundai, they'd laugh. However it is completely true.

I have told people that nothing beats Lexus in quality and they're suprised. They have no idea.
Lexus is #1 in luxury sales now. Imagine if EVERYONE knew they were consistantly the highest in quality.

Old 12-31-05, 11:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sometimes it's hard, though, to determine just what the "facts" are in auto reliability. Different companies and organizations often differ ( sometimes markedly ) in their conclusions and listings. I notice you posted J.D. Power data here. That is one company that does not impress me much even thought I myself am one of their regular focus panelists.
Consumer Reports, from both my experience and that of others, seems to do the best job in general of determining auto reliability. They have a very wide sample, a lot of input, and good accounting methods. They also don't take any kind of advertising at all.

However, there is one thing that DOES seem to be pretty much a given, no matter whose list you read. Most of them agree.....Lexus is almost always either at the top or within one or two notches of it.
Old 12-31-05, 12:58 PM
LexFather

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...threadid=39489

The same thread?

Old 12-31-05, 05:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Certainly is. Good find Sick!

Wow, just read the entire thread at 6speedonline.
Almost everyone is a Lexus hater. Amazing.

I like Clublexus because we are open minded and talk nice to each other.
These other forums are just ridiculous.

"If it's not a BMW, it sucks" This seems to be a common mentality.

So many Lexus = Toyota comments too. Uneducated fools.