Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2002 - 2005 Toyota Camry review!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 10:05 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool 2002 - 2005 Toyota Camry review!

For those intrested, here is an excellent used car review of the 2002 - 2005 Toyota Camry...Enjoy!

From Canadian Driver.com

December 1, 2005

Used Vehicle Review:
Toyota Camry, 2002-2005
By Chris Chase
Photos by Grant Yoxon

Automotive writers are a funny bunch. We go ga-ga over the latest performance car or sport sedan and gush about 0-100 sprints and quarter-mile times and cornering grip. But what you'll rarely see us gush about when reviewing the latest speed machine is reliability. While it's an important consideration for many new car buyers, reliability's boring to a lot of enthusiasts.

So it's quite fitting that one of the most reliable cars on the road – the Toyota Camry – is also largely considered one of the most soulless, dull cars money can buy. Is that a bad thing? Car nuts may not drool over them, but the millions of drivers who have bought Camrys since its debut in 1983 will praise these cars all day long for their durability.

While early versions were very utilitarian-looking, the Camry's looks went a little more upscale with every redesign. It's hard to believe the latest, fifth-generation Camry has anything in common with those first early-80s cars. When generation five was launched in 2002, base models were equipped with a 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine producing 157 horsepower – more than the first V6-equipped Camry (in 1988), which boasted just 153 horsepower. And the 3.3-litre, 220-horsepower V6 that's been available since 2004 is a far cry from the 92-horsepower motor that powered those first cars.

But while a lot about the Camry has changed since the model's debut almost a quarter-century ago, the fifth-generation car is still a benchmark for longevity. With an all-new Camry set to arrive for the 2007 model year, let's take a look at the car that has represented Toyota in the mid-size sedan market for the past few years.

Let's get the obvious out of the way first: yes, this latest iteration of the Camry is as reliable as every Camry before it has been. Consumer Reports magazine gives 2002-2005 models its recommended used car rating and notes no trouble spots. As well, recalls are few: two have to do with airbags and the third deals with an inaccurate label.

If crash safety is a priority for you (it likely is for many Camry owners who use their car as a family shuttle) then you'll want to avoid the base LE model. Without the side airbags that were standard equipment on XLE and SE models, the Camry's side impact crash test results are poor.

While the Camry has earned at least four stars from the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for frontal impact protection in every model year from 2002 to 2006, 2002 models earned just two stars for front seat occupant protection in side impacts, and five stars for rear seat occupant protection in 2002 and 2003. Front seat occupant protection improved to four stars by 2004, but rear seat occupant protection dropped to three stars. Likewise, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated the 2002-2006 Camry as a "best pick" in its frontal offset crash test, but cars without side airbags got a "poor" rating in side impacts, while cars with the optional side curtain airbags eared a "good" rating.

Fuel economy is a Toyota strength, and the Camry benefits from that with fuel consumption ratings of about 10 L/100 km city and 6.7 L/100 km highway for four-cylinder cars, while V6-equipped Camrys use 11.6 L/100 km city and 7.7 L/100 km highway.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a more reliable used car than a Camry, and likewise, it'd be tough to find a more expensive mid-size sedan. Go back to 2002 and you'll find that a range-topping Camry XLE V6 is worth $20,200 according to Canadian Red Book, or almost two-thirds of its M.S.R.P. of $32,570. A similarly-equipped and similarly-reliable Honda Accord will be similarly priced, thanks to that company's similar reputation for quality. If a lower price is important, check out a Mitsubishi Galant (available here since 2003) or Mazda 626 (to 2002 – the Mazda6, introduced in 2003, has suffered from some reliability issues). The 2002 and newer Altima offers available V6 power and stand-out looks at attractive prices, but reliability has been below average. The 2002 and newer Hyundai Sonata offers decent reliability at typically bargain-basement resale values. If a domestic car would suit your needs, the Buick Regal is the only one that stands out in terms of dependability, and like the Sonata, is available at rock-bottom prices.

If you want a car with reliability you can brag about after owning it for 10 years and racking up hundreds of thousands of kilometres, you won't find many that will outdo a Camry. Just don't expect to be able to brag about the price.

Pricing

Red Book Pricing (avg. retail) January 2005: Year Model Price today Price new
2005 Camry LE V6 $25,325 $27,475
2004 Camry LE V6 $22,875 $27,070
2003 Camry LE V6 $20,375 $27,070
2002 Camry LE V6 $17,900 $27,585

Online Resources

www.toyotanation.com - This Toronto-based website boasts 35,000 members. The Camry section is the busiest in the forums (surprising, considering the Camry's status as the ultimate road-going appliance), so there's lots of useful information here. This is one of the best Toyota websites out there, and registration is free. Threads started by Canadian members are even identified with a little maple leaf flag. How cool is that?

Recalls

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2004240; Units affected: 1,112
2002-2004: On certain vehicles equipped with the Curtain Shield airbag system, the curtain airbag may be twisted near the inflator due to improper assembly. In this condition, the gas supplied by the inflator may be inadequate for proper inflation of the bag, causing incomplete inflation of the curtain in the event of a collision. Correction: Dealers will inspect, and replace the curtain airbag if necessary.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2001282; Units affected: 805
2002: Certain passenger vehicles equipped with a three-spoke style steering wheel. During air bag deployment, it is possible that the bottom seam of the front driver's side air bag module cover (horn pad) could be torn away allowing the bottom portion of the cover to completely detach from the air bag module. If this should occur, there is a possibility that the detached bottom portion may strike the driver causing personal injury. Correction: dealers will replace the driver's side air bag module.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2004042; Units affected: 2,943
2004: On certain vehicles, the compliance label does not meet the requirements of CMVSS 120. The label was printed with incorrect Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and Gross Axle Weight Rating data. The incorrect GVWR / GAWR data is 2,380 kg / 1,300 kg. The correct GVWR is 1,900-2,015 kg and the GAWR is 1,035-1,210 kg. Correction: Dealer will replace the compliance label.
Old 11-30-05, 10:53 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reliable?
According to MSNauto, these problems don't seem like minor problems to me.

1996-2002

Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Engine and the Canister Closed Vacuum Switching Valve or Pressure Sensor Vacuum Switching Valve. Failure of the Engine is caused because the engine oil gels. Engine oil gelling will also cause excessive engine oil usage. When proper maintenance schedules for oil changes are followed, oil gelling should not occur. Toyota has issued an 8 year unlimited mileage goodwill repair for this condition. Failure of the Canister Closed Vacuum Switching Valve or the Pressure Sensor Vacuum Switching Valve will cause the check engine light to illuminate. The cost to repair the Engine is estimated at $4,500.00 for parts and $1,384.50 for labor. The cost to repair the Canister Closed Vacuum Switching Valve is estimated at $44.18 for parts and $45.50 for labor. The cost to repair the Pressure Sensor Vacuum Switching Valve is estimated at $75.68 for parts and $65.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

2002-2003

Occasional problems on this vehicle are failure of the Air Fuel Ratio Sensors,3.0L engine only, the Evaporative Canister Closed Valve and the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor. Failure of the Air Fuel Ratio Sensors or the MAF Sensor will cause a drivability problem or the check engine light to illuminate. Failure of the Evaporative Canister Closed Valve will cause the check engine light to illuminate. The cost to repair the Air Fuel Ratio Sensors is estimated at $316.84 each for parts and $52.00 for labor. The cost to repair the Evaporative Canister Closed Valve is estimated at $44.71 for parts and $39.00 for labor. The cost to repair the MAF Sensor is estimated at $140.74 for parts and $19.50 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

I suspect that the 02-05 eventually wil have the same oil gell problem.

Last edited by newr; 11-30-05 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 04:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The oil-gelling problem on the 3.0L V6 generally does not happen if you keep the oil changed every 3-5 months and 3000-5000 miles like you should.

I always thought...and still do today......that the third-generation Camrys ( 1992-1996 ) were the best. Starting in 1997, the body sheet metal and trim got noticibly thinner and more lightweight and the dash and interior trim looked and felt like it lost some solidity and quality.

Same thing at Honda. The early 1990-1994 model Accords seemed to me to have been the most solidly-built ones.....with a noticeably different look and feel after that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-05 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 10:43 AM
coachRX300
Driver School Candidate

I agree that the 3rd gen camry's are the best looking. I used to have a 2nd gen (1988) also.

Currently my daily driver is a 1993 Toyota Camry V6 XLE with about 96k miles on it. It runs great. It has every feature available, so its very closely related to an es300 i guess.

Old 12-01-05, 12:48 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

It's clearly a major design flaw and I am not sure if Toyota and Honda have done anything to fix the problems beside extending the warranty. The gell problem reappears year after year and Honda auto tranny continues to fail at around 70-80K year after year.

I know oil is cheap and BTW I do change my oil every 5K as a habit. However, WHY SHOULD I have to change my oil every 3-5K miles when oil today can last much longer than that? Which other cars out there that do not change oil every 3-5K have this gell problem and lead to total engine failure?

I am speaking from personal experience on both the Camry and the Accord. I am not bashing Toyota or Honda. They still make good, affordable and reliable cars. However, I do not consider the 3.0L V6 Camry, the Accord with auto tranny or other vehicles that share the same 3.0L V6 and the Accord auto tranny reliable at all. These vehicles are ranging from the Lexus 300, Siena, Highlander, Camry, Accord, TL, Odyssey.. etc. I got rid my vehicles after experienced the problems and I will never consider buying these vehicles again in the near future until I know for sure the problems have been fixed.
Old 12-01-05, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by newr
It's clearly a major design flaw and I am not sure if Toyota and Honda have done anything to fix the problems beside extending the warranty. The gell problem reappears year after year and Honda auto tranny continues to fail at around 70-80K year after year.

I know oil is cheap and BTW I do change my oil every 5K as a habit. However, WHY SHOULD I have to change my oil every 3-5K miles when oil today can last much longer than that? Which other cars out there that do not change oil every 3-5K have this gell problem and lead to total engine failure?

I .
WHY do you need to change your oil at these intervals? Simple.
For most drivers today, under most conditions, 3-5 months and 3000-5000 miles is best. We have a lot of congestion today, a lot of stop-and-go driving, a lot of A/C use, and oil simply deteriorates with hard use.....especially at very high or low temperatures. The oil itself doesn't actually wear out, but its viscosity can break down at high temperatures, and the detergent, anti-oxidant, and other additives in it DO wear out. In addition, engines are built today with extremely close tolerances, which also tax oil in several ways. So no matter how you look at it, in most cases 3-5K intervals are best.....using strictly the factory-recommended SAE-grade and weight oil......most cars today require SM-grade and 5W-20, 5W-30, or 10W-30. Even Toyota tells its dealerships to do routine changes at 3750 miles, and most manufacturers today recommend 3750 miles for " severe " use.....which covers most of the driving we do. Oil in SOME cases can go longer than 5000 miles but only under the most ideal conditions....and companies that use the extended-drain interval computers in their cars which calculate drain intervals based on daily use have found that a lot of engine problems are occuring as a result....not necessarily ruined engines but accelerated wear.
Now.......some engines are indeed more forgiving of extended drain intervals than others. The Toyota / Lexus 3.0L V6 is one of those that is NOT forgiving....you MUST keep it changed. If you DON'T want to change the oil at this interval ( and you don't want to use longer-lasting synthetic )then I would suggest getting a vehicle with a more forgiving engine....like the 3.0 straight -six in the Lexus GS300 / IS300. But even then 3-5K is still best.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-05 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coachRX300
I agree that the 3rd gen camry's are the best looking. I used to have a 2nd gen (1988) also.

Currently my daily driver is a 1993 Toyota Camry V6 XLE with about 96k miles on it. It runs great. It has every feature available, so its very closely related to an es300 i guess.

I wasn't referring to the 3rd-Gen's looks so much as its build quality and, especially, the solid-feeling interior. The 4th and 5th gen's kept the build quality, but IMO just did not have the same solid feel as the 1992-1996 models.