Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your first Glimpse at the new Bmw 3 series Hardtop convertible!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 12:40 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your first Glimpse at the new Bmw 3 series Hardtop convertible!

Please Lexus I hope you make something like this for the IS . Here is a little bit of info courtesy of detroit news and a picture showing the new 3 series cabrio doing hot laps on the Ring. I really hope to god Lexus is paying attention even though Mr Fukusato recently said there are no plans for an IS coupe convertible.

'08 Beemer 3-Series cabriolet to sport retractable hardtop

"BMW engineers are testing a new cabriolet edition of the compact 3-Series, with the first retractable hardtop in the range. The three-piece folding hardtop replaces the canvas top on the previous model.
BMW expects to formally introduce the new cabrio at the Paris Auto Show next fall, about when the new 3-Series coupe goes on sale in North America. U.S. sales of the cabrio should begin by spring 2007, as a 2008 model.
The automaker is said to be working on a high-performance M3 cabrio which should come to market in 2008-09. "

-- Paul Lienert

Old 11-10-05, 01:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice find.

I will be really pissed if Lexus doesnt come out with a coupe or convertible version of the IS-series. For some reason, I dont think its going to happen.
Old 11-10-05, 02:32 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is old actually, though I'm not sure if it's been posted here in CL.
Here's the full spy video:
http://www.e90post.com/goodiesforyou/e92spyvideo1.mpg

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-10-05 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-10-05, 02:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Yes, I think it's a repost from a while ago too.
Magneto, I hope you're not right about Lexus not producing a hardtop convertible IS, it'd be too bad, why would they even bother to make that LF-C concept with that 3 stage roof mechanism ? They never indicated that'd be a next SC neither
Old 11-29-05, 02:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Few more pics to add.

BMW 3 Series Convertible Spied Up Close
We've been a little overloaded with BMW news lately, but we couldn't pass on these choice spy photos of the BMW 3 Series Convertible. These up close and personal shots show off the three-piece, retractable hardtop and how seamless it looks in the up position. Sources say the coupe version will debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2006 with the convertible to follow sometime in 2007. Why does BMW take so long to launch one of its most popular models?

Also expect the same engines available in the current sedan line-up and an M variant too. Supposedly, the disguised front and rear ends here will be different from the coupe and sedans to offer a "sportier" look.

For comparison, here is a spy shot of the coupe