ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Can I get some XKR opinions? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/177516-can-i-get-some-xkr-opinions.html)

Lex Luthor 09-04-05 10:03 PM

Can I get some XKR opinions?

Just wanted to hear the thoughts of others. Sold my modded '91 NSX, after finding nothing I liked I decided to pick up a '97 NSX-T. Thing is though, i've always loved the styling of Jaguar's XK. I found an R model coupe (kinda rare) that i'm interested in picking up, an '02 Blk-Blk....hard to argue with 370hp and 387lbft of tq with nice ride, good handling, and class, not to mention nav, htd seats, rain-sensing wipers and all the other little gadgets. I understand that the car will not be as dead reliable as the NSX...but i'm looking for a daily driver that has a little more luxury and i'm willing to give up some handling as a trade-off. Performance is not an issue, MT tested the car at 5.0 sec 0-60 and 13.50 in the quarter, which is quicker than an NA1 NSX and just behind an NA2. Intake, exhaust, and blower pulley will net over 400hp. Driving an automatic will definitely be less fun, but the car has other virtues. I know you guys are obviously pro-Lexus and I understand that an XKR is very different, but i'm strongly considering this. As for reliability, the Nikasil blocks, trans and timing tensioner issues were dealt with in the early years, yet i've heard of a couple other things, i.e. the front wheel bearings last 30-35k, front bottom ball joints last 30-35k, drop links are weak, front calipers can seize, and water pumps and thermostats are a problem. I would purchase additional warranty coverage for peace of mind, but I have to admit that I find some of these issues rediculous. LMK what you guys think or if you 've had some experience with these cars.

- Jon

TheRupp 09-04-05 10:57 PM

I honestly would say stay as far away from Jaguar as you can get when looking for a daily driver. They're such nice, well-designed cars, but their Ford counterparts definitely bring them down hard. :thumbdn:

If you're looking for a toy, then go for it.

UDel 09-04-05 11:25 PM

It is funny I was just looking for used XK coupes in my area today on autotrader. I too love the design and they have very nice interiors too. The vast majority of XK out there are convertables which kind of sucks since I only want a coupe. I have seen some pretty good deals for these cars, several in the 20-26K range. I like the design and interior of the XK more then the 2nd Gen Lexus GS that I am looking for but the whole Jaguar reliability thing will keep me from buying one as a daily driver. I have heard of alot of problems with Jaguar sedans but I do not know too much about the XK coupe, I was actually going to post a question about the reliability of these cars. Another used car I would like to have is a BMW 8 series coupe and there are some good deals to be had but the reliability and extreme cost of maintaining and getting it repaired keep me from seriously considering one as a daily driver. It is ashame because these 2 coupes are very nice and highly desireable to me but I'll stick with Lexus/Acura reliability and build quality over those 2 somewhat nicer cars that might end up costing a fortune to fix and maintain.

I think if you want the car strictly as a daily driver and are on somewhat of a limited budget or do not want to spend a bunch on possible repairs then you might want to stay away from the Jaguar. Jaguars also do not hold their value very well which is another reason you can get a good deal on a used XK. I would definitely get a extended warranty and have a Jaguar dealership and a trusted mechanic look the car over if you decide to purchase. As for a second car or if you can use something as a beater for everyday driving then the XK may look a little better and would be a great weekend,vacation, and special occasion driver. It is certainly a beautiful design and it has a nice interior in my opinion. Your NSX is a totally different car and the Jaguar will not come close to it in handling and driver communication but does offer more room and a softer more luxurous ride and interior. The XK is a pretty rare car and unfortunately I do not know anybody who has owned one to give any kind of info on reliability and trouble spots. A new model is right around the corner and if you wait for it to be released you can probrably get an even better deal.

GeorgeGS4 09-05-05 06:17 AM

reliability is awful with the amount of gadgets and such...very similar to a cadillac. American cars can't do technology as well as Japanese cars. I'd stay away from it, it's just an overpriced Ford.

Nice pick up on the NSX though! :woot:

mmarshall 09-05-05 11:14 AM

I disagree with GeorgeGS4's statement that the XKR is just an overpriced Ford...it is indeed a Jag through and through, but I would not recommend it either for other reasons, primarily the reliability issue and the expense of Jaguar parts. Jag reliability improved somewhat for several years after Ford took them over in 1989 and they got rid of those awful British Lucas electronics, but has recently taken a nose-dive, especially with the X-series.
This is also a personal cosmetic preference and something you may or may not agree with, but I think Jaguar made a mistake using the dark-gray wood trim on the R-series cars...including the XKR.....instead of the beautiful lighter-color brown wood it uses on the rest of its line. That dark wood Jag uses on the R trim, IMO, is UGLY. :thumbdn: ..it doesn't even LOOK like wood. The new XK doesn't even have wood AT ALL...an even worse design.

Anyhow, the NSX in some ways would be a better choice, especially in reliability. But keep one thing important in mind with an NSX.....its all-aluminum structure, if damaged in an accident, will call for special work and techniques that that are not available at most body shops. You will have to find one that has the equipment and skills to work with aluminum rather than plastic and sheet steel. I don't know if Honda / Acura has a list of shops that can handle this type of work, but I know that Audi has a list of factory-approved shops for its all-aluminum A8 that could probably handle any bodywork should you need it. It probably goes without saying, too, that insurance for an NSX is likely to be expensive....repair costs will be very high.

GQD_GS4 09-05-05 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I honestly would say stay as far away from Jaguar as you can get when looking for a daily driver. They're such nice, well-designed cars, but their Ford counterparts definitely bring them down hard. :thumbdn:

If you're looking for a toy, then go for it.

i gotta agree with what he said...

Richie 09-05-05 11:25 AM

I used to like them, but now they look a bit dated to me.
However if you like them and can get a good deal on one. Get it!!!

Gojirra99 09-05-05 12:16 PM

The XkR is a gorgeous looking car. I' ve also looked at the coupe version when I was shopping for my SC. It's a wonderful car car but I don't find it very comfortable inside, plus with Jag.'s reliability reputation, I decided to go with Lexus.

jacques 09-05-05 12:50 PM

I love XK's. Sleek classy styling and some of the best interiors of any car but alas their quality sucks. With owning a jag expect alot of problems, but owning a supercharged jag.... :( It's not worth the trouble unless you get a very good warranty for cheap.

RobSoVIP 09-05-05 04:35 PM

1) For those that simply state that Jags are nothing more than over-priced Fords: Sit in a new XJ or XK and take a ride, then come back here and tell me the same.

2) Jags are awesome cars, but its a shame that they have their issues and that their issues are not cheapt to fix.

3) Its clear who hear knows cars, and who here just relays rumors and internet chatter.

Rob

GFerg 09-05-05 06:17 PM

This particular Jag is a model that I love. I'm usually a guy that looks for quality and long lasting cars that wont give me a headache. But sometimes, their are exceptions. The XKR is definitely one of them. I feel that if I love the looks of the car and how it drives so much, I would purchase the car despite certain quality problems. Buy whatever makes you happy.

Off the top of my head I dont remember the exact Quality ratings of Jags, but I'm pretty sure they are no better or worse than the next European car in the same catagory. I think this quality bashing is starting to get a little out of hand these days. The latest Quality ratings released from JD Power has Jaguar WAY up in the ratings. They are obviously improving nad been improving ever since Ford took over Jaguar(although its been kinda slow up until this year). Its not like Ford took over and THEN Jags quality went down.

If you're very concerned about the Jag, then make sure you check the car out properly before purchasing. Get as much background info as you can and take it to a trusted mechanic. I'm sure they also have Certified Pre-Owned Jaguars.

Its a very beautiful, mature, classy car with outstanding performance for that specific model year. Heck, they can still beat a majority of the newer cars out today. With the added sport supension, the handling is nicely improved for the size and class car it is in.

mmarshall 09-05-05 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by magneto112
Off the top of my head I dont remember the exact Quality ratings of Jags, but I'm pretty sure they are no better or worse than the next European car in the same catagory. I think this quality bashing is starting to get a little out of hand these days. The latest Quality ratings released from JD Power has Jaguar WAY up in the ratings. They are obviously improving nad been improving ever since Ford took over Jaguar(although its been kinda slow up until this year). Its not like Ford took over and THEN Jags quality went down.

Yes and no. As I stated in my previous post, Jag reliability went up substantially after Ford's takeover in 1989...partly due to the dumping of the awful British Lucas electronics. Then it dropped with the introduction of the S-series in 2000 and dropped much more with the X-series a few years ago. The flagship XJ / XJR and XK / XKR coupe / roadster have also dropped in reliability recently. You don't have to take our word for it......you can check Consumer Reports, which has a MUCH more comprehensive auto reliability database than J.D. Power does. I know...I am a regular J.D Power panelist myself. I have taken part in many of their auto focus groups and get surveys every month. They are good in some things, but their auto reliability system does not impress me at all.

Now..as far as their LOOKS...you won't get any arguements from me at all. Jag always has and still does make beautiful cars to look at...although the people who designed the new XK had better come up with some good answers why the interior doesn't have wood.....a longstanding Jaguar tradition.

Gojirra99 09-05-05 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:thumbup: :cool:

UDel 09-05-05 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. As I stated in my previous post, Jag reliability went up substantially after Ford's takeover in 1989...partly due to the dumping of the awful British Lucas electronics. Then it dropped with the introduction of the S-series in 2000 and dropped much more with the X-series a few years ago. The flagship XJ / XJR and XK / XKR coupe / roadster have also dropped in reliability recently. You don't have to take our word for it......you can check Consumer Reports, which has a MUCH more comprehensive auto reliability database than J.D. Power does. I know...I am a regular J.D Power panelist myself. I have taken part in many of their auto focus groups and get surveys every month. They are good in some things, but their auto reliability system does not impress me at all.

Now..as far as their LOOKS...you won't get any arguements from me at all. Jag always has and still does make beautiful cars to look at...although the people who designed the new XK had better come up with some good answers why the interior doesn't have wood.....a longstanding Jaguar tradition.

I agree with mmarshall that Jags used to be known for horrible reliability especially in the 80's but after Ford took over their reliability has went up a good deal. An XK is probrably not going to be as bad as alot of people are saying but I simply do not know enough about the reliability of the XK to really say anything about its reliability.

As for the new model using wood I have seen interior shots of it with a wood interior which looks very good on the internet and in the Oct. Motor Trend they say it will be available with Walnut and poplar wood. They also say in the Oct. Road and Track it will still have a wood option but Jaguar is trying to push its aluminum and nickel accented interior.

Lex Luthor 09-05-05 08:32 PM

Nice to see some informed opinions from you guys, much appreciated. I would of course get a thorough pre-purchase inspection by Jaguar, and additional warranty coverage once the factory warranty expires. I've done some heavy research the past couple of days...apparently any issues with the XK were remedied around '00 (Nikasil, timing tensioners), though they do have short life expectancy of the front wheel bearings and control arm bushings. For those that claim it's an overpriced Ford..well that's obviously not the case, the car is designed by Jag and built in Coventry, yes with Ford's money...I don't personally care who pays the bills :) . By the way, J.D. Power's '99 Initial Quality Study 2 had Jaguar at number one, surpassing Lexus, reporting 16% fewer problems per one hundred vehicles. IMO it's come down from that standing because of the X-Type, which IS an overpriced Ford. The XK and XJ seem quite good for the last few years. mmarshall, it's got the Brown wood (burl walnut).
AmethySC...now that's what i'm talkin' about...for me, one look at that pic and the decision is easy. I'm definitely leaning towards the XKR over another NSX or anything else at that price point. Would love to hear from someone on CL who's had one.

- Jon