Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 JAGUAR XK8 (UPDATED- Why Does it Have a Ford Tauraus Nose ? )

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-05, 05:08 PM
LexFather

PRESS RELEASE

Jaguar is proud to announce a new era in its sports car lineage – the all-new XK. Like all great Jaguar sports cars, the focus of the all-new XK is firmly on the future, while acknowledging the marque’s rich history. It heralds a new era for Jaguar in terms of both design and engineering, and it is the most technically advanced Jaguar ever built.

The all-new XK continues the Jaguar tradition of beautiful, powerful, ground-breaking sports cars, but behind its stunning looks, it bristles with practical, intuitive, modern technology, clearly focussed on enhancing the driving experience. It delivers significant improvements in performance, dynamics, safety, exterior and interior design and equipment, and product quality. When it is launched in early 2006, this first of the next generation of Jaguars will become the sporting flagship of the Jaguar brand.

By starting with a blank canvas, Jaguar was able to make use of the latest aerospace technologies alongside more traditional Jaguar skills to create a luxurious, powerful, highly advanced sports car. A major key to the all-new XK’s character is Jaguar’s industry-leading aluminium monocoque body structure, introduced with the latest XJ saloons.

With this unique high-tech construction method, the all-new XK’s bodyshell is
31 per cent stiffer than the previous XK’s and significantly offers a 10 per cent improvement in power to weight ratio. The all-new XK is up to 90 per cent stiffer and 180kg lighter than key rivals, with a kerb weight of just 1595kg.

In the words of Jaguar's Chief Engineer Mike Cross, in charge of the all-new XK’s vehicle dynamics, "What the team has looked to engineer is a sports car with true all-round ability. That means it must be fast, outstandingly agile, and truly exciting to drive. It has to go quickly, stop quickly, and do everything in between in the way a Jaguar should. Yet it’s also a rational choice – the all-new XK will deliver a balance of superb driving dynamics and comfort that is the epitome of sophisticated sporting luxury."

Old 08-27-05, 05:08 PM
LexFather

All-new Jaguar XK at a glance:

- All-new Jaguar XK 2+2 sports car

- First of a new generation of beautiful, fast Jaguars

- The most technically and technologically advanced Jaguar ever

- Succeeds the Jaguar XK range introduced in 1996

- All-aluminium construction forms a lightweight, incredibly stiff, strong car

- All-new XK lighter than its predecessor and key rivals, at 1595kg kerb weight

- Delivers a balance of superb performance, driving dynamics and Jaguar sophistication

- Intuitive controls and driver-focussed technologies – such as keyless entry, push button start and active lighting – enhance driver enjoyment

- Spacious, elegant sports car cabin exemplifies Jaguar craftsmanship, luxury and quality

- Launched with latest generation naturally aspirated 4.2-litre Jaguar AJ-V8 engine, developing 300bhp (224kW) SAE / 298PS (219kW) EEC

- New Jaguar Sequential Shift 6-speed automatic transmission system incorporates steering wheel-mounted paddles for manual gear changes

- Reaches 60mph from standstill in 5.9 seconds and completes quarter mile sprint in 14.4 seconds – less than half a second off the pace of the previous 400bhp supercharged model*

- Top speed of 155mph (electronically limited)

- On sale from early 2006, with prices announced at the beginning of the year.

- Convertible model will also be available – details will be announced later this year

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/uk/en/vehic.../the_new_xk.htm

Old 08-27-05, 05:10 PM
LexFather

Hmm, like the GS 430, the new Xk is an all new car with the same engines. They DROPPED the ball here. The 650 has what, 350hp? The 911 325 or 355? Hell the SC 430 has 300hp.

This is a big disapointment. THis is a new COUPE, it needs POWER. Otherwise, give me a sedan.

Hell the G35 has 298hp as a coupe (manual). The new IS has MORE power than this car.

This is a SPORTS CAR. Its NEEDS more power. IMMEDIATELY.

Old 08-27-05, 05:11 PM
LexFather

Old 08-27-05, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

We've had a couple of threads on this car before....when the first pictures came out.
An good-looking car...not quite as good as the last XK, mainly because of the fish-out-of-water grille.

One BIG problem inside, though. What's with the black-and silver interior without wood? A Jaguar without WOOD? That's blasphemy. Next they'll take out the Connally leather...another Jaguar tradition.
I notice the tan interior DOES have wood.
Old 08-27-05, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I notice a lot of comments here about the similiarity to Astons.

That is no accident, guys. It is very real....and intended to be that way. The Jaguar XK series has shared bodies and basic platforms with Aston Martin for some years now ( though the engines are somewhat different ). In fact, that is one of the reasons that Aston Martin sales in the U.S. are so low......much lower than that of Jaguar. The XK, with some minor differences, is essentially an Aston for about half the price.......roughly $70,000 versus $140,000.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-27-05 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-27-05, 06:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I hope the seats are more comfy & the interior less confining than the last one . . . & they're going to have a XKR too right ? I hope the front will look better with the mesh grille . . .
Old 08-27-05, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Ithey're going to have a XKR too right ? .
Since the 4.2 L V8 has had a lot of modifications for this new car, it may take some time to get the supercharged R version certified with the EPA. Then, when you're done with Federal EPA certification, you have to deal with California and CARB....which is even more restrictive.

I'm not necessarily against Jag spending the extra time and money into doing a new supercharged XKR....as long as it is within reason and not absurd like some of the power ratings on the top-level M-B AMG's.....but Jag, IMO, would be wise to put more of its resources into quality control and engineering. They took a big step forward for several years after Ford bought them out in 1989 and they tossed out the old Lucas electronics , but lately, like M-B, have retrogressed badly in the area of reliability. Consumer Reports now ranks them as one of the worst overall nameplates.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-27-05 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-28-05, 07:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We've had a couple of threads on this car before....when the first pictures came out.
An good-looking car...not quite as good as the last XK, mainly because of the fish-out-of-water grille.

One BIG problem inside, though. What's with the black-and silver interior without wood? A Jaguar without WOOD? That's blasphemy. Next they'll take out the Connally leather...another Jaguar tradition.
I notice the tan interior DOES have wood.
GOod point about the wood, I didn't think of that.
As for the ugly front, most all new cars sold in Europe may have uglier front ends, as they have new laws in pedestrian safety. So cars have to have higher hoods to protect people getting hit by cars.

Ian Callum designed this Jag as well as was help with the Astons.

I hope they really get the electronic kinks worked out.

Old 08-28-05, 08:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I' ve seen even the Bentley Arnage T interior with no wood trim at all, with carbon fibre/aluminium instead. I suppose Jag offer it as the "sporty" trim. Whether one likes it or not is a matter of taste.
Old 08-28-05, 08:47 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a few complaints...

1) underpowered
2) doesnt come in a true manual
3) its a jag/ford
4)probably unreliable
5) i agree the grill is a bit ugly.. still i could live with it if the above was fixed.
Old 08-28-05, 09:59 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
a few complaints...

1) underpowered
2) doesnt come in a true manual
3) its a jag/ford
4)probably unreliable
5) i agree the grill is a bit ugly.. still i could live with it if the above was fixed.
I imagine they're using the same strategy as Lexus with the 2GS430 --> 3GS430 --> 3GS460.

Except for BMW, no one makes manuals in GT coupes/convertibles at this price point. I agree it'd be nice to have, but I don't think the typical Jag-yoo-ah customer will opt for that option.

The grill pays homage to the E-type, one of the most revered Jag nameplates.

Old 08-28-05, 10:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I imagine they're using the same strategy as Lexus with the 2GS430 --> 3GS430 --> 3GS460.

Except for BMW, no one makes manuals in GT coupes/convertibles at this price point. I agree it'd be nice to have, but I don't think the typical Jag-yoo-ah customer will opt for that option.

The grill pays homage to the E-type, one of the most revered Jag nameplates.

Old 08-31-05, 07:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

If you like this car, tons of large size WALLPAPERS HERE
Old 08-31-05, 07:43 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Damn, I love this car, and every other Jag as well(except that horrible X-type). Sexy and classy designs as always. This car looks outstanding. Cant wait to see the convertible.

Quick Reply: 2007 JAGUAR XK8 (UPDATED- Why Does it Have a Ford Tauraus Nose ? )