Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Video: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the CLS55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-05, 01:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Enough of this dribble; I have to check to see that my cars have not broken.

Lou K
2004 LS 430
Several Mercedes Benz's
I see exactly what you mean You pluralized car's and only one lexus.
Old 08-21-05, 05:23 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I see exactly what you mean You pluralized car's and only one lexus.

My Dear Friend MR. Flex Additive ( that is the correct spelling just so you will know in the future), after my daughter left I pulled my MB's in the same light as my wife's car (that Lexus thingy) and you'll never guess what ------ the paint matches on the plastic panels and the metal panels. I guess the Lexus got too much heat or the plastic is devouring the paint.

I said no more dribble but I just could not resist. I don't care if they put peanut butter in the paint, the least they can do is match the dam thing.

Have to run now because I will be taking the SL55 to my office tomorrow and I'd better go over it with a fine toothed comb just to make sure that it will get me there.

This somewhat reminds me of when I was a kid and we would argue constantly about which was better; Chevy, Mopar or Ford. Somehow I managed to survive that and I probably will survive the weight of the embarrassment that I must constantly carry on my shoulders.

Last edited by lkirchner; 08-21-05 at 05:24 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-21-05, 05:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

You typed all that over a little ribbing? I must resist, it's getting too easy.

I knew you'd run play spellchecker. It's a quality of the over pretentious MB owner it seems. Nothing more to argue with I suppose.

Get this thread back on topic.
Old 08-21-05, 06:07 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lkirchner
the paint matches on the plastic panels and the metal panels.
The SL55 uses metal for the fender fins, or is it plastic?
Old 08-21-05, 07:47 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

MB could use a little L-finesse

MB's paint is better quality, that would explain the huge price difference, and so-so interiors.

Old 08-21-05, 10:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The overall experience of the world says 80% of Mercedes owners are plagued with SEVERE problems, recalls, and issues.
That sounds wrong. Your source?

Anyway, all this bashing of Mercedes in general is ridiculous. We all know the ML was a disaster initially. The C and E class though? Seem pretty solid from everything I've read. The S class has had bad software problems with the 'COMAND' system which is apparently better now, but clearly MB is suffering from poor software - they admitted recently it was outsourced but they're going to be scrutinizing it a lot more closely from now on. But then I can make my Lexus navigation crash if I want to but I know what to avoid.

My 2nd gen GS had the sunroof issues that most everyone has had. It had broken speed sensors over and over, caused by inept dealer service work. It had mush brakes. Right now it's fine but it's hardly been perfect. In contrast, my 2004 F-150 truck (first year production I might add) has been great except for one dash creak we had after romping around off road in rough terrain and which the dealership fixed in a short visit.

But I'm not here to bash Lexus. They excellent. But I don't think MB is a bad across the board as you say. If it was there would probably be class action suits.
Old 08-21-05, 10:16 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm getting sick of this bickering back and forth.

Both are good companies and both bite from one another. Big deal. All companies copy each other, it's just the nature of the auto industry.

Also, all this over pretentious MB owner stuff is as bad as over cocky Lexus owners about reliabilty. To be honest, they're all nice cars. You can't really go wrong with either choice. If you can buy an expensive car, you better make enough to afford to maintain it.

I know the problems with benzes and i've been lucky enough to never have one. I buy them for their safety and the way they drive on the freeway. I love my ES300 because it's a wonderful car to park in a parking lot at the 99 ranch mall off valley blvd.

People take a lot of pride in their cars. It's only natural for a car owner to praise their own choices. BMW owners think their car is better on a BMW forum. Lexus will think the same about theirs. MB, Acura, Honda, etc etc.

Just stop the bickering.

By they way, the CLS drives like a 300C sometimes but it's still really nice.
Old 08-21-05, 10:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

After watching the video I see that despite Clarkson's concerns about quality problems and a bad JD Power rating on SERVICE he still rated the car as 'phenominal'. Or, rather, a 'thug in a silk dressing gown' - LMAO
Old 08-22-05, 10:12 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusLuver
The SL55 uses metal for the fender fins, or is it plastic?
I'm not sure if they are plastic or aluminum. I know the door handle inserts are aluminum; so it is posssible that the fins on the fenders and hood are the same.
Old 08-22-05, 02:44 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texan629
Exactly. Fans of thier favorite car company will always bash the competition. Just look on a cadillac forum and type the word lexus in their search engine and you'll come back with "rice burner", remember pearl harbor, and bland styling /boring to drive sentiment.
The only reason we're bashing Mercedes is because they're extremely overpriced vehicles that have absolutely horrid build quality, especially for the money. Lexus's CEO hasn't gotten busted taking 100,000 out to buy his wife a house in Peru, either.
Old 08-22-05, 03:16 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheRupp
The only reason we're bashing Mercedes is because they're extremely overpriced vehicles that have absolutely horrid build quality, especially for the money. Lexus's CEO hasn't gotten busted taking 100,000 out to buy his wife a house in Peru, either.
This has now gone from the rediculous, to absurd and finally sublime.
Old 08-22-05, 04:19 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRupp
well you know what? i'm sure if you buy a mercedes you EXPECT something like that. If you can afford a mercedes i'm sure you can afford the repairs.
Old 08-22-05, 04:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok, this thread has gone OT enough, please drop all the OT talk and back on topic on the video of cls55 amg
Old 08-22-05, 05:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by rominl
ok, this thread has gone OT enough, please drop all the OT talk and back on topic on the video of cls55 amg
NO i already asked ONCE.