Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$5k fine for no Air bag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 07:26 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $5k fine for no Air bag?

I was just searching through some old posts about changing steering wheels with non air bag ones and read that you could be fined up to 5k$ if you remove an air bag... Is this true? Any SC owners with no airbag and aftermarket wheel? PIcs? I've just been entertaing the idea of this but would like to see some of the results.. Thanks in advance guys...
Old 01-24-05, 07:30 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bryan858
I was just searching through some old posts about changing steering wheels with non air bag ones and read that you could be fined up to 5k$ if you remove an air bag... Is this true? Any SC owners with no airbag and aftermarket wheel? PIcs? I've just been entertaing the idea of this but would like to see some of the results.. Thanks in advance guys...
I'm about to put a Nardi wheel on my car. The is a pic in the for sale section of a soarer w/ nardi wheel under Soarer for sale.

I dunno bout a 5k fine.. then again i'm not removing an airbag my car didn't come with any
Old 01-24-05, 07:31 PM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have heard the same thing, but don't have any first hand knowledge of it actually happening to somebody.
Old 01-24-05, 07:33 PM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

I bought my car out of the salvage yard with both bags blown, and I just had them sealed. I was told at the DMV that they were only required for cars 1999 and up.
Old 01-24-05, 07:35 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

how would u get fined. even if u get pulled over the cops not going to check for the bag right?
Old 01-24-05, 09:32 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default In California....

Ahahaha, yes the cops do check... Actually they just look for any reason to hassel you with.. I've seen stock cars pulled over and the cop ask to see under the hood etc etc... If you check your vin on your dash there is probably some note indicating an airbag... Aside from the vin on the dash I was planning on getting an aftermarket Steering wheel so it will definetly stand out if ever there was a cop looking in my car..

Kakaroto, That is very interesting... Did the DMV do a complete inspection before registering your car? Where are you located? I've actually heard that the DMV won't register/re-register cars if they have been in an accident and not repaired with the factory safety equipment or equivelant.

Jzz30tt, What year is your sc? I have a 92 and it has one... I figured all SC's had atleast the steering wheel airbag.. Has yours been removed prior to you getting it? Or do u have a Soarer without an airbag? Do you have any Air bag lights on your dash? I'm just curious how to disable the whole system if I do get a different steering wheel...

Kid, where did you hear about it? Hope it was also on the threads here and not in the news or something...

Thanks agian for the replies and info guys...
Old 01-24-05, 09:35 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many go with aftermarket "non" airbag setups for all types of cars...
The fines already levied were against aftermarket "custom" shops
purposely replacing stock steering wheels with airbags with non
airbag type wheels and I even read with Tv screens in the wheel.

Although there may be vague motor vehicle laws in place that are simply
unenforceable at this point, its more of a matter regarding personal safety
and the safety of any who may drive your car other than yourself.....
Old 01-24-05, 10:07 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny how you guys in the US get a driver and front passenger airbags (along with stock leather seats, TRC and motorised power steering column ) while the JDM Soarers (twin turbos and 3.0L mostly) don't come with either Mine was optioned with a driver's airbag though (1993 model).
Old 01-25-05, 06:20 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

I believe the fine is against custom shops replacing your airbag. If you do it yourself I don't believe that fines can be imposed. Personally in a car with a roll cage and 5 point harness I feel safer with the airbag gone. The last 2 accidents I have been in I would have been fine had the airbag not deployed and burnt my arms and face (side impact crash).
Old 01-25-05, 07:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Although some manufacturers were installing them earlier, and some only driver's side, dual airbags were not actually required in the U.S. until the 1995 model year. After that there was no choice....they MUST be on the car.
If this is a 1994 or earlier car you are asking about, you can replace the stock steering wheel with a non-airbag Nardi if you want. Airbags by law are required to function for 10 years....hence the gold-plated connectors to ward off corrosion and the expense of replacing them. But a 1994 car is now 11 years old....past the mandated function time.

If this a 1995 or later car, I would definitely NOT recommend it.....for both safety and legal reasons. Not only are you giving up crash protection you paid good money for, but, as you note, there is a good chance you could be fined for it. Even if you cannot be fined in your state, the car will not pass inspection in many states without it and therefore cannot be registered. And if you are not very careful and follow the exact de-activation procedure when you remove the steering wheel, the bag could go off in your face and injure you. This happens fairly often in service shops with careless technicians.
So, in the end, removing an air-bag equipped wheel on a 1995 or later vehicle can only work against you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-25-05 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-03-05, 02:02 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Thanks for the replies guys..

This is definetly great info... I have a 92 so now I can start looking at all the different Steering wheels...
Old 02-03-05, 10:25 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although some manufacturers were installing them earlier, and some only driver's side, dual airbags were not actually required in the U.S. until the 1995 model year. After that there was no choice....they MUST be on the car.
If this is a 1994 or earlier car you are asking about, you can replace the stock steering wheel with a non-airbag Nardi if you want. Airbags by law are required to function for 10 years....hence the gold-plated connectors to ward off corrosion and the expense of replacing them. But a 1994 car is now 11 years old....past the mandated function time.

If this a 1995 or later car, I would definitely NOT recommend it.....for both safety and legal reasons. Not only are you giving up crash protection you paid good money for, but, as you note, there is a good chance you could be fined for it. Even if you cannot be fined in your state, the car will not pass inspection in many states without it and therefore cannot be registered. And if you are not very careful and follow the exact de-activation procedure when you remove the steering wheel, the bag could go off in your face and injure you. This happens fairly often in service shops with careless technicians.
So, in the end, removing an air-bag equipped wheel on a 1995 or later vehicle can only work against you.
Mmarshall, good post but I think the dual airbag was not made a requirement until 1996. Our 1995 Suburban only has one and I remember some complaining about the 1996 losing the cup holder ( ) with the second airbag.

Personally I'd say get another wheel like other Lexus or Toyota wheel that looks better AND has an airbag.

James
Old 02-04-05, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
Mmarshall, good post but I think the dual airbag was not made a requirement until 1996.
James
You may be right, Jim. I remember 1995 but it might not have been till the fall of the year...which of course would be the 1996 models.