ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   SC400 or Jaguar xk8? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/146402-sc400-or-jaguar-xk8.html)

mungrin 01-08-05 08:56 AM

SC400 or Jaguar xk8?

My Dad wants to get a sports car and has narrowed it down to these cars which are similar in price.

95 Jaguar XK8

98-00 Lexus SC400

He drove both and says he is undecided and will need a week to think about which to get.Has anyone ever driven and XK8 and how does an SC compare to them.I want to convince my dad to get a 2000 SC.

sourcemine 01-08-05 09:41 AM

I love XK's but I'd only buy an R edition... black wood, coupe...

Ice350 01-08-05 10:27 AM

which?

I haven't driven one but I've been in an xk8. They are very nice but...doubt if I'd get one unless it comes with a good warranty. I believe a 95 model was before Ford took over. That's even worse in terms of reliability. I've been around mechanics when they were cursing at the car trying to fix them. A 98 sc is going to give better overall service. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Carbon J 01-08-05 01:41 PM

Unless he gets a newer Jag, go for the SC more reliable.

sweetsc400 01-08-05 03:10 PM

There's just one teensy weensy problem here. . . Jaguar didn't make the XK8 until 1997. And, ironically, J.D. Power and Associates gave it a perfect score for initial quality (better than SC3/4, although it was 1 tiny little point away from a perfect score), tied with the SC coupes for Midterm ratings, and barely lost to them for longterm ratings. Personally, I find this hard to believe having grown up with Jags. Those things are money pits from hell.

mungrin 01-08-05 03:13 PM

yeah i just found that out to my dad made a mistake its a 97

sweetsc400 01-08-05 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by mungrin
yeah i just found that out to my dad made a mistake its a 97

It's all good. I can't blame the guy for liking the XK8, it's a beautiful car.

southernsc 01-08-05 03:51 PM

if you get the jag make sure you have some extra money to fix it. i would take the sc400 anyday of the week though.

techsc400 01-08-05 05:00 PM

Simple compare

Just check couple of parts price for the Jaguar and SC.
I bet almost every parts price will be higher for the Jag.
Personally, I've seen many Jaguars in the shop but I haven't seen many SCs.

Just my two cents.

SC4Hundred 01-08-05 11:40 PM

98+ SC4, rare and reliable

twizt2 01-11-05 05:57 AM

I thought I was the only person to see a striking similarity between these two premium luxury coupes. A concern that wasn't covered already was the fact that the xk's from 97-99 used a nikasil liner on the engines internals that eventuallly wears off and contributes to a very high engine failure rate in xk's. They stopped using it but you always need to be on the look out for those nikasil cars. That's why some of those early model xk are so cheap to buy. What's not cheap is replacing a jaguar engine. :thumbdn:

Can't beat it though for that "Bond, James Bond", secret agent mojo. :bigok:

http://members.jorsm.com/~jpanfil/jaguar.JPG
http://members.jorsm.com/~jpanfil/jaguar2.JPG

T0ked 01-12-05 02:40 PM

Has your dad driven each one? If he's a big guy, (6ft+) he's not gonna like it much. I remember test driving the XK8 at a Lexus test drive session about 5-6 years ago. The front seats do not move back enough to give me adequate leg room nor did it recline enough to give me enough head room. I'm 6'2" and I fit comfortably in my SC. The radio and temp control were just awkward. And I was obviously biased because of an uncomfortable driving position, but the SC4 and the CLK430 was much more fun to drive than the XK8. If I were deciding between cars, I'd be comparing the SC and the CLK. And I agree with others, the late model SC4's were great cars with powerful (290hp) engines.

DIrEctQL 01-12-05 06:54 PM

Lets see. Choose between one of the most reliabile cars in the world or one of the most unreliabile cars in the world.

I say get the SC. WIth the extra money you would spend fixing the Jag you can make the SC little faster.

Chris

blkonblk 01-18-05 08:47 PM

The XK8 hands-down...

mooretorque 01-19-05 02:08 AM

Well, I'm probably old enough to be your dad (50), so maybe my perspective might help. The Jag is gorgeous and certainly considerably more reliable these days compared to the pre-Ford era. (And no, I don't think Ford's influence has diluted the brand.) The XK8 is a very nice modern take on the wonderful XKE. I'd be very tempted if we were talking about an XK8R and the decision, in that case, would be tougher.

But I've had 2 SCs (a 92 400 and a 93 300 5spd) and loved 'em both, so much so that I considered trying to find a late model SC400 when I decided to sell the SC300. I personally think that this, too, will be a classic body style in the same sense as the original XKE. Plus, as other posters have indicated, the SC is an excellent performer in its intended role as a GT, is more reliable, and actually is more practical if you look at front seat room, rear seat room, and trunk space (probably a wash on this last one).

So my vote goes to Lexus tho the Jag makes it a hard choice. In the end, though, he should buy the one that makes him happiest............I already made my choice! Good luck!