Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1,000 hp WAR!!! Viper Coupe is official to battle Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 05:22 PM
LexFather

Default 1,000 hp WAR!!! Viper Coupe is official to battle Z06

With the unveiling of an anticipated 500-hp, Viper-challenging Corvette ZO6 at the Detroit show the worst kept secret in town, DaimlerChrysler is rushing to head ’em off at the pass. Unveiled at the Los Angeles show is the 2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe.

“Rushing” might be overstating things—we’ve anticipated this car ever since Dodge’s first concept car for the second-generation Viper, which was not the convertible, but a coupe. The open-top car debuted first, though.

Why repeat the Viper Coupe? (Note that it’s not a “GTS” anymore, Dodge having dropped out of that class of competition, for now at least). Because the “Viper Nation” wants it, says Chrysler, citing requests from customers ever since the second-generation convertible came to market in 2003. Chrysler primed the pump a little more last fall when it gave Viper owners at a club meet in Texas an early peek at what was billed as a concept Viper Coupe (AW, Sept. 20, 2004).

“There’s been a lot of demand for this car,” says Dan Knott, director of Chrysler’s Street and Racing Technology (SRT) operation. “Racers, especially, prefer a coupe for structure and aerodynamics.”

Front fascia and fenders, hood and doors are the same as those on the convertible. Design of the coupe started, says Chrysler design vice president Trevor Creed, with a mannequin wearing a helmet, and that drove the return of the “double bubble” roofline.

From there back to the wraparound taillights, hidden from the airflow so effectively by the new rear quarter-panels that the company had to add a separate rear side-marker lamp, the car resembles the original Viper GTS in form, though the details differ.

Mechanically, there are no surprises here, with the Viper line’s 500-cid V10 generating 500 horsepower and 525 lb-ft of torque providing the motivation. The company is claiming 0-60 mph in less than 4.0 seconds, and 0-100 mph in 12 seconds, aided by braking performance that brings everything to a halt from 60 mph in less than 100 feet, which is astounding in any car, let alone one that tips the scales at more than 3400 pounds. A Cd of 0.39 is more an asset to the braking side than it is to the acceleration component of that 0-to-100-to-0 performance—the aerodynamic work focuses on downforce and high-speed stability. When we saw the car previewed in early December, Creed said that wind tunnel work was “likely” to result in a more extended rear roofline line reaching farther back on the car, and an even more exaggerated ducktail rear spoiler than is seen in these photos.

Note the deep cut line for the decklid back there, giving the new Coupe a low lift-over height for cargo. The move to a fixed roof also delivered expanded storage space: Still meager at 6.25 cubic feet, it is nonetheless a 4 cubic-foot improvement on the convertible’s trunk.

Viper Coupe production should begin late this year.
2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Engine: 8.3-liter V-10
Horsepower: 500
Height: 48.6 inches
Width: 75.2 inches
Length: 175.6 inches
Curb weight: 3,410 pounds
What the automaker says: "Dodge Viper SRT10 is about uncompromising performance and stunning looks."
What you should know: The "double bubble" in the roof is there to create headroom for drivers wearing safety helmets while racing the car.
Production possibility: Production begins this summer

Old 01-05-05, 05:32 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that car looks like it's packed with muscles. so sexy. and no, it's not sex on wheels.
Old 01-05-05, 05:37 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

See, this is what I love. Without the Vette releasing this Z06 the Viper would remain and have no competition. Challenges force other companies to step up and make better products; kill or be killed. I don't expect this to perform TOO much differently than the drop top so I'm gonna assume it's gonna remain a step behind the Vette in terms of daily driveability (honestly, how many Vipers and Z06s are gonna actually see the track?). They should be about equal performers but I'm guessing the Viper will cost more. IMO both have awesome styling, performance, most likely handling, and, best of all, aftermarket. This should be interesting.

Bring it Mopar, GM's ready *

*Man, that green side of me is whispering that with this much hp our environment is gonna take a hit...maybe it's not so right in the real world...?

James
Old 01-05-05, 05:41 PM
LexFather

I agree. This car will not be called the GTS b/c the Viper is not being used in competition right now. I hope it sparks sales. The Viper is selling slow and would hate for Dodge to kill this due to slow sales.
I think the coupe works much better than the convert Viper. But I may lean towards the Z06. I could not say that last time these 2 fought.

Old 01-05-05, 05:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

The vette will still OWN the viper. Primarily because it doesn't have to brake as hard in the corners.
Old 01-05-05, 07:17 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Corvettes are only winning because Dodge pulled out of FIA for now, and they pulled out to develop this car. Corvette can't consistently beat Ferrari, so how can they beat the teams that bent the FIA and world enduro over a chair and had it's way with them for almost a decade (yes the viper is old). When a corvette places podium next to prototype class cars at Le Mans we can talk.
Old 01-05-05, 07:44 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

That is biggest POS looking 2nd gen car I think I have ever seen!

This is what it should have looked like.
Attached Thumbnails 1,000 hp WAR!!! Viper Coupe is official to battle Z06-gtsrconcept.jpg  
Old 01-05-05, 07:47 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I'm not trying to challenge you because, well, I don't know jack about LeMans. But I was under the impression that the C5R was quite the racer and that it was beating the Porsches, Ferraris, and Vipers in the GT class I think it was. Am I on the entire wrong race series or is there some type of truth in what I'm speaking?

James
Old 01-05-05, 08:03 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The vette will still OWN the viper. Primarily because it doesn't have to brake as hard in the corners.
Do I spy some subjectivity here?

I wouldn't count the Viper out just yet ...

I must say though, that based on that interior photo - I'd probably spring for the new c6 'vette if I had to spend any amount of time in the car.

C6:

Viper:

M.
Old 01-05-05, 08:03 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Found this on a Corvette site. It's an intro to an article about the Z06. It's really long but I can post it if anyone wants me to. But this is what I was talking about in regards to the C5-R's racing heritage...

DETROIT – By winning every race in the 2004 season, the Corvette C5-R racing team wrapped up the most successful era in Corvette’s 50-year racing history. In its five years, the C5-R racing program took 35 victories in 55 races, four American Le Mans Series championships and three double victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans .
James
Old 01-05-05, 08:29 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jet864
Found this on a Corvette site. It's an intro to an article about the Z06. It's really long but I can post it if anyone wants me to. But this is what I was talking about in regards to the C5-R's racing heritage...

James
The Viper GTS-R earned five international GT championships including the 1999 and 2000 American Le Mans Series GTS class titles and the 1997-1999 FIA GT Championships. The Viper finished 1-2 in the GTS class in three consecutive years –1998-2000 – and an overall win at the 2000 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona (that's international) unchallenged, the first for an American production-based car.
http://www.fiagt.com/stats.php
FIA is the series the Yellow c5r's compete in. Right now they are unchallenged by anybody except the 575 Ferrari's, and the odd modena or so. To paraphrase it took GM 5 years to do what a Viper did in one.
Old 01-05-05, 08:33 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

man who cares who wins, both are BADASS AMERICAN IRON!!! I have never been a fan of American cars in anyway, but over the last few years there has been some great products brought to market.

If the Z06 can be kept to a sub 70k price tag (as most rags speculate) it will truly be a monster!! Aluminum structure, factory widebody (and not tacked on fender flares either, 14" brakes, 500hp, etc etc etc. I have to be honest man, maybe in a few years this could be a strong contender for a weekend toy!!! I can see the staggered 20s, and lowered stance now! LOL

0-60 est of 3.6seconds!!!!
Old 01-05-05, 08:35 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

That Viper needs a pickup truck style drop 2" front / 3" rear!!!
Old 01-05-05, 11:52 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT

Now that you mention it - it is really bad ...

Did the previous generation sport that dumpy a stance?

M.
Old 01-06-05, 04:37 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
LMAO!! thats the exact thing that came to my mind lol

Quick Reply: 1,000 hp WAR!!! Viper Coupe is official to battle Z06