Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Avalon Spied in camo

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 06:05 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by ktiger
GS4fun
Also I noticed that you have a 2002 BMW 745Li. I hear a lot of complaints about that model year, are you having any problems with yours?
Yes...lots...it really hasn't been worth the aggravation. I am looking for a seller but its always difficult because whenever i show the car to someone another alarm on the driver's console always shows up. You wouldn't believe the problems. It is just a matter of time before this thing is gone.....i'm gonna have to make room for the new AWD GS by next March so that's kind of my target date.
Old 10-01-04, 08:38 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GS4fun
Yes...lots...it really hasn't been worth the aggravation. I am looking for a seller but its always difficult because whenever i show the car to someone another alarm on the driver's console always shows up. You wouldn't believe the problems.
Wow...I was so close to buying that car. Some people dislike the styling but I love it. It's been tough waiting but I'm glad I did. I have no plans to buy a GS but I will wait to see what Lexus does with the LS. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-04, 09:09 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Car looks pretty nice...

I think you guys (flipside909, MPLexus30, Longo) are just a little sensitive about info from Lexus OR Toyota dealers...both these parties do not get their info until the last moment...when HQ is ready to release it, because they know it WILL be shared with the public.

Anybody here work for TMS/TFS? That would be the best source of info...I have IT contacts there, but unless they are on a Supplychain/Manufacturing or Financial project, you really don't have the ability to get info on the future cars/platforms/specs...

...and it is totally plausable that toyota could open a plant somewhere in the US because of:

1) tax breaks (local & federal)
2) USA product line
3) regional focus of products, etc...it all comes down to money and preception

This does not mean that they will...

For example, Nissan does build cars/trucks/minivans today with it's plant in Smyrna, Tenn. and new plant in Mississippi...

...and yes I worked at NNA for a while and dealt directly with Japan and all of North America (19 subsidiaries in North America, Canada, and Mexico)...so my info on Nissan is credible

Just a reminder that this is a forum where lot's of speculation occurs...no need to get down on somebody because of it...and it doesn't mean a sales rep from Longo Lexus is MORE credible then another sales rep...take it with a grain of salt until the model is released and shows up on showroom floors
Old 10-01-04, 10:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally posted by KVA
...take it with a grain of salt until the model is released and shows up on showroom floors
I certainly hope those specs. we' ve heard so far of the new GS aren't accurate . . . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-01-04 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-01-04, 11:28 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Toyota is infamous for keeping secrets...we'll have to wait and see.

Honda is also very secretive...a friend of mine leases some building space to them across the street from their National HQ campus because they didn't want their own people (not associated with the projects) to see their projects...my friend can't even get inside and he own the building...lol...and he had to sign NDA's up the ying yang...
Old 10-01-04, 02:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally posted by MPLexus301
I don't actually work for a dealership, I work for SET. The information from last year dealt with the vehicles from that point, all the way to the next product meeting which is at the middle of next month. They showed us the new Avalon, told us it would be powered by a 3.5L V6, and some minor, vague details about the next Tundra. This october, we should see the prototypes for the next Tundra as well as the Camry and Highlander, and the production Avalon.
Michael,

You are very insightful and knowledgeable about Toyota / Lexus in many of your posts. However, I want to be very clear about a few things. Its very unfair to mispresent your position and state absolute knowledge about new model details to other members when discussing 'what's next'. Unless you're a whiz kid on an executive track at Toyota corporate, you are a Lexus / Toyota enthuiast like the rest of us. Perhaps with a job or close relative that works within the JM Family Enterprises. In this thread just two months ago you posted you were 17 years old.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...17#post1010117

I don't normally come out and question the credentials of our members, but I want to request that you and other members respect the information that is coming to us from our ClubLexus vendors such as Longo Lexus as it trickles through the official channels of Lexus. Everything else is third hand, rumor, conjecture or speculation. I'm afraid we won't know 'the final answer' until we see these new models - either Lexus or Toyota - hit the showroom
Old 10-01-04, 04:14 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Michael,

You are very insightful and knowledgeable about Toyota / Lexus in many of your posts. However, I want to be very clear about a few things. Its very unfair to mispresent your position and state absolute knowledge about new model details to other members when discussing 'what's next'. Unless you're a whiz kid on an executive track at Toyota corporate, you are a Lexus / Toyota enthuiast like the rest of us. Perhaps with a job or close relative that works within the JM Family Enterprises. In this thread just two months ago you posted you were 17 years old.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...17#post1010117

I don't normally come out and question the credentials of our members, but I want to request that you and other members respect the information that is coming to us from our ClubLexus vendors such as Longo Lexus as it trickles through the official channels of Lexus. Everything else is third hand, rumor, conjecture or speculation. I'm afraid we won't know 'the final answer' until we see these new models - either Lexus or Toyota - hit the showroom
Dave-

I can account for the post about "working for SET". I had typed a reply, then asked my dad (who works for SET) to come up and look over it to see what information was and was not correct. He deleted my entire first paragraph, retyped his own, and then left the sentence under that as well as the "-Michael-" at the bottom. I, the sole person under this username, am 17 years old and work at a Toyota dealership, not SET.

I would like to say a few other things about your above posts. When it comes to the "future" at Toyota and Lexus, my knowlege on Toyota products will probably be more factual, more absolute, and more dependable than many of the members here because of my dad's position within SouthEast Toyota. While certain members such as flipside909 would like to degrade SET as a company, my dad is fortunate enough to see inside concept cars and get inside knowlege more than a year or so before the public. Last September I noted that the new Avalon was going to have a 3.5L 270HP V6, and at the time, no one believed me. Now, a year later, the rumors ARE leaking out about such an engine with 270HP. The year before that, they showed the new Solara at a product meeting and I told everyone that the rear end was going to look much like the SC430, there would be a new 3.3L V6 with sequential shift, ect. It's great being an automotive enthusiast and having a family member who sees production models a year and a half before they even hit a turn table at an autoshow, but I'm not going to continue to share my knowlege with this forum when members rudely question the validity of my comments and my credibility as a person.

My knowlege of Lexus products is more limited than that of Toyotas, but still more than the average joe here at CL. The product meetings that my father attends are geared 90% towards Toyota, but they also do breifing on upcoming Lexus models. I don't think that my comments towards Longo Lexus were unapproproate, they simply went against some of the things I have heard, which is why I questioned them. My Toyota information is just as secondary as Longo's, who receives it from a manager who goes to these product meetings. It was never a matter of disrespecting Longo or the information he/she gave, just questiong and debating it which is EXACTLY what these internet forums are about. Some of the things he/she posted such as 265HP from a N/A 2.5L V6 or a 200+MPH LS coupe seem way too outrageous to be true, especially when you take common sense into account. Do you really think that the next entry level model of the IS is going to have 20 more HP than the brand new GS300? Let's also consider the fact that there are only 3 cars under $100,000 that make 100Hp/Liter, and the thought of Lexus getting more than 100HP/L in the entry level IS? Considering the first and second "opinions" of mine, I choose not to believe that. Right now the LS430 is governed at 131MPH, and Lexus fastest model, the GS430, tops out at 149HP. I have a problem believing that a LS based coupe is capable of 70MPH faster than the sedan it's based off. At this point, Lexus has been hesitant to use forced induction on any model, so that's another reason I question the original statement. It's not just my personal opinion, but considering the history of Lexus and how they usually do things, I have a problem believing a 2.5L V6 with 265HP or a 200MPH+ LS coupe.

I definitely agree about the fact that the only serious, 100% factual information we will get is from Toyota/Lexus press releases.

-Michael-

Last edited by MPLexus301; 10-01-04 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-01-04, 04:41 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Like Dave mentions above, I don't feel the intention is to single out members and question their sources of info, but rather that members be more forth coming in stating that what they are saying is not factual until the actual release of info from Toyota (or you have a high-level executive contact that can validate any statements made).

You sound like a very mature 17 year-old and I commend you on your approach to resolving this issue and understanding all points. This is what makes this such a great site.

So, before anyone jumps to conclusions or makes statements of fact (but can't back it up), simply state your opinion, where you got the info, and identify it simply as speculation.

For most of us, we are going to believe someone from the Lexus side over someone from the Toyota side (at the dealer level), but if your from TMS, then what you say may be more credible. At the end of the day, it's what shows up on the showroom floor that will override what anyone states here on this forum.

So, keep the info coming...just make sure to state your disclaimer.
Old 10-01-04, 05:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Dave-

I can account for the post about "working for SET". I had typed a reply, then asked my dad (who works for SET) to come up and look over it to see what information was and was not correct. He deleted my entire first paragraph, retyped his own, and then left the sentence under that as well as the "-Michael-" at the bottom. I, the sole person under this username, am 17 years old and work at a Toyota dealership, not SET.

I would like to say a few other things about your above posts. When it comes to the "future" at Toyota and Lexus, my knowlege on Toyota products will probably be more factual, more absolute, and more dependable than many of the members here because of my dad's position within SouthEast Toyota. While certain members such as flipside909 would like to degrade SET as a company, my dad is fortunate enough to see inside concept cars and get inside knowlege more than a year or so before the public. Last September I noted that the new Avalon was going to have a 3.5L 270HP V6, and at the time, no one believed me. Now, a year later, the rumors ARE leaking out about such an engine with 270HP. The year before that, they showed the new Solara at a product meeting and I told everyone that the rear end was going to look much like the SC430, there would be a new 3.3L V6 with sequential shift, ect. It's great being an automotive enthusiast and having a family member who sees production models a year and a half before they even hit a turn table at an autoshow, but I'm not going to continue to share my knowlege with this forum when members rudely question the validity of my comments and my credibility as a person.

My knowlege of Lexus products is more limited than that of Toyotas, but still more than the average joe here at CL. The product meetings that my father attends are geared 90% towards Toyota, but they also do breifing on upcoming Lexus models. I don't think that my comments towards Longo Lexus were unapproproate, they simply went against some of the things I have heard, which is why I questioned them. My Toyota information is just as secondary as Longo's, who receives it from a manager who goes to these product meetings. It was never a matter of disrespecting Longo or the information he/she gave, just questiong and debating it which is EXACTLY what these internet forums are about. Some of the things he/she posted such as 265HP from a N/A 2.5L V6 or a 200+MPH LS coupe seem way too outrageous to be true, especially when you take common sense into account. Do you really think that the next entry level model of the IS is going to have 20 more HP than the brand new GS300? Let's also consider the fact that there are only 3 cars under $100,000 that make 100Hp/Liter, and the thought of Lexus getting more than 100HP/L in the entry level IS? Considering the first and second "opinions" of mine, I choose not to believe that. Right now the LS430 is governed at 131MPH, and Lexus fastest model, the GS430, tops out at 149HP. I have a problem believing that a LS based coupe is capable of 70MPH faster than the sedan it's based off. At this point, Lexus has been hesitant to use forced induction on any model, so that's another reason I question the original statement. It's not just my personal opinion, but considering the history of Lexus and how they usually do things, I have a problem believing a 2.5L V6 with 265HP or a 200MPH+ LS coupe.

I definitely agree about the fact that the only serious, 100% factual information we will get is from Toyota/Lexus press releases.

-Michael-
Michael,

That makes a little more sense, but I definitely don't advise continuing to have multiple people posting using the same ID, especially when establishing credentials. It's not only confusing, but it calls many items into question when conflicting details are presented - which is why I posted.

Part of the issue that caused me to write the above is your approach to posting... often a very definitive "this is the way it is going to be". Just like you said, the information you get is third hand and is open for debate and question. If you can't state the source as being a Lexus document or a vehicle sitting in a showroom, you should couch it with 'this is what I heard from my dad' or "this is what he saw" or something more vague if you need to protect the source. But it is not definitive.

We have a lot of Lexus professionals on this site, many in dealerships and several in HQ positions. They can make many of the same claims and posts, but you don't see that type of approach from them. If you choose to stop sharing your knowledge that's your choice, but I hope you don't. I've read a lot of your posts before making this request and all I'm asking for is a little more disclosure on the source if you are going to post items you have written that read as 'facts'.

Any further discussion on this we can take to PM if you like and not continue to derail the thread.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-01-04 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-01-04, 05:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by KVA
Like Dave mentions above, I don't feel the intention is to single out members and question their sources of info, but rather that members be more forth coming in stating that what they are saying is not factual until the actual release of info from Toyota (or you have a high-level executive contact that can validate any statements made).

You sound like a very mature 17 year-old and I commend you on your approach to resolving this issue and understanding all points. This is what makes this such a great site.

So, before anyone jumps to conclusions or makes statements of fact (but can't back it up), simply state your opinion, where you got the info, and identify it simply as speculation.

For most of us, we are going to believe someone from the Lexus side over someone from the Toyota side (at the dealer level), but if your from TMS, then what you say may be more credible. At the end of the day, it's what shows up on the showroom floor that will override what anyone states here on this forum.

So, keep the info coming...just make sure to state your disclaimer.
Exactly, well said.
Old 10-02-04, 08:38 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Let's also consider the fact that there are only 3 cars under $100,000 that make 100Hp/Liter, and the thought of Lexus getting more than 100HP/L in the entry level IS?
-Michael-
honda S200,ACURA RSX-S, mitshu EVO,subie WRX, Subie WRX STi, Celica XRS and so on and so on?
Old 10-03-04, 01:11 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

If the 3.5L will only work on fwd applications, then the 3.0L is for rwd/awd applications?

That is a lousy move for Lexus, if they plan on using a 3.0L 245hp V6 in the upcoming GS300 and IS300 Lexus seriously deserves to lose sales. But then again a 3.0L I6 works well for BMW....Lexus should have kept and reworked an alumminum block 3.0L I6, instead of dealing w/a 3.0L V6.

I could see the market accept that 3.0L V6 for the GS300, but dont see the engine acceptable in the IS. Anything short of a 3.2L 275hp engine won't work anymore. Even the 3.6L Caddys make more power.

Old 10-03-04, 01:20 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Do you really think that Lexus would let their ES, a more expensive, more prestigeous car, fodder on into it's next generation with 45 less HP than the Avalon? The ES may not get all of 270HP, but I think it's realistic to expect at least 260, and I'd also expect the car to use the new 3.5L V6.

Common sense would hint that Lexus will switch to the 3.5L V6, the best 6 cylinder Toyota will offer, while Toyota will use a mix of the 3.3L and 3.5L V6 in their products.

-Michael-
I don't see the next ES350??? and Avalon walking away from the GS300 and IS300 in terms off acceleration. How does Toyota plan to control all that torque in the next Avalon anyways, something just doesn't quite add up here.