Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Bose Suspension System (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-06, 03:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

if toyota actually takes it, it would mean that the system is top notch and very reliable. If it passes Toyota tests, I would not worry about reliability.
Old 02-16-06, 08:17 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id give them a chance if they were looking for another test car
Old 12-09-06, 11:55 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

what's the update on this?
Old 12-10-06, 12:06 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

wow, just saw that video, wierd to see the car's cabin hardly move over those bumps, compared to tradtional suspensions where the car is being rocked like as if by a riot.
Old 12-10-06, 12:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, Toyota has the money...
Old 12-10-06, 08:12 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Well, what's likely the case is that the bose suspension just doesn't make for a good enough business case either due to complex reliability issues, or high cost. With Delphi's magneride and a bunch of other semi-active suspension systems on the market, while this Bose system may sound even better, it may, in reality, just not be good enough to substantiate the additional cost or complexity...

Though if I did see an OEM like Toyota take on their technology I'd certainly be all over it because I'd assume they made a justifiable case for it and were willing to stand behind it.
Old 12-10-06, 08:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Wow, well a quick google search later, I may have definitely found my answer:

20 grand.

Yeah that's the estimated cost of the bose suspension system. Pair that will unknown reliability and amazingly high cost of repairs and short of possibly finding this on a maybach, I doubt we'll be seeing this system on any standard production vehicle anytime soon.
Old 12-10-06, 09:03 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
Wow, well a quick google search later, I may have definitely found my answer:

20 grand.

Yeah that's the estimated cost of the bose suspension system. Pair that will unknown reliability and amazingly high cost of repairs and short of possibly finding this on a maybach, I doubt we'll be seeing this system on any standard production vehicle anytime soon.
It costs that much only because it does not come as an OEM option. Volume is the key to lower cost. If the Bose suspension can get backing from a major car manufacturer and become a factory option of a few models, I guarantee the price will come down to no more than 2 grands or so.

Alas, it'll probably remain as a chicken-and-egg thing.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-10-06 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-10-06, 11:06 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

New BMW X5 with sport package comes with something like this but only faster system with flex ray technology, I think.
Old 08-31-07, 09:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Seems like Ford is debuting a system very similar to the Bose system on the Euro only Mondeo.

Ford to debut active suspension system on Mondeo

August 29, 2007 Ford is set to make a major production milestone with the launch of an active suspension system on the new Ford Mondeo. Available as a UKP650 option in the UK, that not only provides a comfortable ride but combines this with sportiness and safety. Ironically, sound pioneer Amar Bose was the first to devise a suspension system designed to do exactly what it should do rather than approximating it with springs and dampers, but Ford looks set to be the first to offer it on a regular production car. Called Interactive Vehicle Dynamic Control (IVDC), the system offers near constant suspension adjustment to match desired ride with road conditions and driving style

The IVDC system offers sports, comfort and regular suspension settings and effectively eliminates the trade off engineers have to make between ride and handling with conventional suspension set ups.

Once selected, the settings determine how the suspension reacts, providing rapid, imperceptible adjustments in line with the car's behaviour and prevailing road conditions.

Broadly, the firmer sports setting will optimise the car's responses on twisty B-roads while the comfort setting would be for a relaxing long distance motorway journey. Driver selection provides an extra element of sophistication to the new Mondeo, which is acknowledged as the best-handling car in its class.

Once the choice is made, the active suspension technology adjusts the car's dampers more than 10 times a second to provide the best possible handling characteristics, by matching the driver's selection with road conditions and the demands being made by the driver in terms of acceleration, braking, cornering speed etc. This provides more precise responses than the fixed settings of a conventional suspension system.

The responses of IVDC are based on inputs from seven sensors: one acting on each wheel and three others positioned to measure acceleration, pitch and roll. Information from the sensors is fed into a control unit that triggers electronic valves in the dampers, adjusting them at a rapid rate that matches the information being fed into the system. The system has been tuned to match precisely the specific weights and tracking of the new Mondeo. Ford vehicle dynamics manager Norbert Kessing explains: “New Mondeo's ability to monitor its handling interactively with the driver improves safety and comfort. An active suspension system makes particular sense in larger cars like the new Mondeo. It enhances dynamic stability, particularly under critical driving conditions, and works with the car's other safety systems to reduce braking distances by up to 10 per cent on rough roads.”
http://www.gizmag.com/go/7905/
Old 09-02-07, 10:42 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

good stuff
and $1300 USD is a good price for this set of suspension IMO if the reliability isnt an issue

but seriously it wouldnt matter to us because ford just wont bring the friggin mondeo over....
Old 09-02-07, 10:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

While it may sound similar to the Bose system, the technical capabilities of both systems are different and the Bose system is more sophisticated and reacts faster than this Ford system.
Old 09-22-07, 06:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default VIDEO: Bose suspension in action (with Lexus LS400)

Video shows the system in action, and compares it with a conventionally suspended LS400 with split-screen footage.

Click : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSi6J-QK1lw
Old 09-22-07, 07:43 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

repost , theres a video of this in the vip section i think. but its still pretty cool, must cost a fortune though.
Old 09-22-07, 07:52 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I've been seeing this LS400 bose suspension demo for what seems like almost a decade now. Nothing has ever come of it - at least not from Bose anyway...

Quick Reply: The Bose Suspension System (merged threads)