Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future Lincoln models fwd/awd

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-04, 01:50 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Lincoln models fwd/awd

Lincoln sees no need to go exotic
Published August 18, 2004
Ford division has a $139,000 GT sports car.

Cadillac, the chief rival of Lincoln division, has a $76,200 XLR sports car.

So it seemed only logical to ask Phil Martens, group vice president of product creation for Ford Motor Co., whether Lincoln might call on Ford to provide it with a derivative of the exotic GT to compete against the Cadillac XLR?

"Lincoln can focus on $30,000-to-$50,000 vehicles because we have Aston Martin, Jaguar and Land Rover to handle the upper end of the market," Martens replied.

"The best sellers in the luxury segment are in the $30,000 to $50,000 range. Above $50,000, sales start to trickle off. Over $60,000, and you reach rarefied air," he added.

"There's no reason for us to have a Lincoln GT. A Lincoln GT need not be made," he replied.

Turning to Cadillac again, this fall it brings out the STS sedan. What about a rival from Lincoln that promises rear-wheel-/all-wheel-drive? Lincoln is promising the midsize Zephyr for 2006 that will offer front-wheel-/all-wheel-drive.

"Long term, Lincoln doesn't need a rear-drive sedan. Everyone is converging on all-wheel-drive. It took the population some time to become sophisticated to front-drive and now the public has become very sophisticated with all-wheel-drive," he said.

That fits with reports (Business, July 21) that Lincoln plans to replace the LS with a larger AWD/FWD derivative of the Ford Five Hundred in '08 and replace the Town Car with an AWD/FWD derivative of the Five Hundred in '09.
Lincoln = Acura
Jaguar = Lexus

???
Old 08-21-04, 02:46 PM
LexFather

When I die, I won't need a Lincoln. My hearse will be a LEXUS!!! Needless to say, Lincoln is in an identity crisis and needs to get it together as Plymouth and Oldsmobile needs company...

Old 08-21-04, 02:50 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I think I'm going to end myself. When I see a company like Lincoln, a company built on RWD, saying they have no long-term need for RWD, I want to vomit.

Just read that! It's like they're say, "Well, everyone else is jumping off the bridge, so we will too."

I can't imagine the next LS and TownCar being FWD-bias AWD, but that's where it seems to be going. The next Lincolns will probably be built on the Ford 500, which itself is derived from the Volvo XC90. That's right kids, the TownCar will have its roots in a Swedish front-bias AWD SUV platform.

The auto industry has gotten a serious case of mental retardation, and looks like they're taking the express to hell because of it.

Shoot

me

now.

Having said that, however, I could really care less about Lincoln. However, this seems to be the beginning of a disturbing trend that will probably spread to many other makes.

Last edited by SecPole14; 08-21-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-21-04, 03:55 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

What the hell does this mean:

"Long term, Lincoln doesn't need a rear-drive sedan. Everyone is converging on all-wheel-drive. It took the population some time to become sophisticated to front-drive and now the public has become very sophisticated with all-wheel-drive," he said.

????????????????????

How is FWD "sophisticated"?

That's a Chris Bangle argument.

They say ... and I hear:

"Well, it took the retarded luxury car-buying public a few decades to succumb to our trying to save a couple bucks on a cheaper drive-line on account of our poor corporate structure, sloppy engineering, and bland designs. We're pretty much in the begining of a new cycle of that. So eat it car buying public and make sure to check our incentives before you walk over to the Lexus dealership - you won't find 2,000 dollars cash-in-hand over there!"

M.
Old 08-21-04, 04:43 PM
LexFather

sigh
Attached Thumbnails Future Lincoln models fwd/awd-trike.jpg  

Old 08-21-04, 05:19 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
sigh

LOL thats cute! haha and the truth

~ Stella
Old 08-21-04, 05:42 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

sigh
That's sooooo awesome. I know I can always count on you for great pics...I'll be sure to put this one to good use!!
Old 08-21-04, 06:27 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
That's sooooo awesome. I know I can always count on you for great pics...I'll be sure to put this one to good use!!
FUnny thing is driving my FWD ES right now=

Old 08-21-04, 07:11 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

FUnny thing is driving my FWD ES right now=
At least it's stick, right?

ES is a cool FWD, especially in the rarified manual-transmission form.
Old 08-23-04, 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

To say that FWD s - - - is being way overly simplistic.
FWD, RWD...and, especially, AWD, all have advantages and disadvantages. These have all been discussed quite throughly in these forums, so there is no need to re-hash them here again.