Canada For events in Canada.

Carbon Build-up Issues in Canada - Any Success w/ Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 05:39 PM
czar
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I have a 07 IS250, and have been getting the P0302 errors. I took it into the dealership and they mentioned TSB #2804 (which mentions a "Top Engine Clean"). Unfortunately I'm out of warranty so I had to pay $700+ for this to be performed (along with a $150 diagnostics fee).

I mentioned WAB2068 (Extended warranty for this issue), but they said I had to do the "Top Engine Clean" before they would warranty any of the work.

Does this sound right? If I had been in warranty, then the "Top Engine Clean" would have been included, but since I'm not, I have to (essentially) pay to help them diagnose this issue. Since I don't use my car that much (< 80,000k) it seems I may not see these errors again until after the 9 year warranty is up!
Old 12-18-14, 12:09 PM
jmanng
Driver School Candidate

That sounds like highway robbery, especially since they do have a CSP program in the USA recognizing the issue - at best it only put's the issue off again. make no sense.
Old 12-18-14, 12:15 PM
jmanng
Driver School Candidate

I have faxed a letter to the President 14-12-15 regarding the situation and the fact that there is a CSP in the south, the double standard and our insufficient Canadian status. so far the letter has gone un-acknowledged. I will be following with filing a complaint with the Ministry of Transportation - I don't think someone should first have to die in a car accident when the engine dies on you and leaves you in a vulnerable situation because of this issue as I had happen.

More Canadians need to get vocal, and if the Canadian Prez won't take action, then maybe global will step in after this gets more attention... maybe a job for Goldhawk ctv (or todays equivalent).
Old 12-28-14, 08:32 PM
supags
Driver

any update on this? my car is getting misfire and i think it's due to carbon build up.
Old 12-29-14, 06:22 AM
jmanng
Driver School Candidate

So far no response to my faxed letter (transmitted successfully) - looks like common courtesy or a simple acknowledgement is not even required when dealing with crappy Canadian customers - who needs complaining customers anyway!

Maybe the Canadian solution to this issue is to move temporarily to the states and get the issue fixed there?? It will make my morning commute somewhat longer though

All those people who have had their engine cut-out on them while driving, we need to file complaints with Transport Canada to see if we can get them involved as it presents a serious/dangerous issue to us (no one should first have to die in an accident) and that will force Lexus into a recall situation since they don't want to follow the US lead.
Old 12-30-14, 10:44 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Took my car in to get spark plug changed and the tech told me my carbon build up is worst than his old Corolla.

Seems like there's nothing we Canadians can do for now but just use fuel cleaning addictive ><. What the hell Lexus I really don't know what car manufacturer to trust anymore
Old 01-25-15, 02:57 PM
autox250
Driver

JManng it'll never get to a recall.. It will be at most another voluntary campaign.. TSB or CSP
Old 01-25-15, 03:47 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 139 Posts

it is not just lexus... direct injection is known for bad carbon build up and it also causes other problems too... D4-S technically should fix the problem but somehow didn't on the IS250's 4GR-FSE... the 2GR-FSE on the is350 have no problems with carbon build up...
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...injection.html
Old 01-25-15, 04:53 PM
autox250
Driver

That's because the 2GR on the 350 also uses port injectors preventing long term build up on the valves. all 4GR, 2GR and 1UR FSEs had a valve spring campaign to increase valve seating pressure (some springs even broke). They got taller thicker springs.
The 4GR has too much blowby because of the rings, w no port injection the valves build up carbon until they don't close properly. you can tell with a scan tool how bad the combustion chamber is too.. You can see the "spark advance" and the "learned value" (how much timing it takes off to keep it from pinging).
The fix was the springs, higher tension rings & redesigned pistons. So far none of the newer ISs with the redesigned PCV baffles and updated parts + 0w20 oil has had ANY issues...
I think Toyota finally found a way
Old 01-26-15, 08:50 AM
S2KIS250
Driver School Candidate

posted this up in the normal CSP thread, but thought i'd post it here for you guys too...

quite the interesting day for me, but here goes.

IN CANADA!!

2007 IS250 AWD, 119K KM, owner for the last 2.5 years.

When we first purchased the car from the last owners, within a few months i had a CEL and the stutter. At the time we shut the car off and restarted, and by the time i got it on my scanner nothing showed up. Lexus also had said that nothing was showing either (was still under powertrain i believe). I read about this carbon build up issue and always kept it in the back of my mind that it would return.

Fast forward to this morning. I take the car out from work to go and grab a coffee down the block. I'm waiting at a stop light when i notice that if i slightly ease off the brake, the car was very jumpy/boggy like a bad driver with a manual transmission. I let it do it for a couple seconds then to my surprise, CEL pops on flashing and check VSC etc etc. i think awesome i'm just down the block from lexus, i'll take it right there and wont shut it off. At the same time however, i have a bad pit in my stomach knowing that in canada, it has been very hit or miss (mostly miss) when it comes to the carbon build-up issue and that i could be looking at paying lots of fees, but decide to take the risk. Keep in mind my wife is currently on maternity leave, so $$$ aren't easily come by these days.

I drop it off with service and tell them its still running outside, i suspect that it could be the carbon build up issue. Of course our SA's here have basically no idea what that means, and just say the tech's will need to look at it all.

I get a lift back to work from the shuttle, and in about 30 minutes get a call from the SA. she says the tech had an hour to look at it ($149), and couldn't pinpoint what was wrong exactly, and it could be 1 of 3 things, "wiring", "ECM", or something else. Shockingly i respond and ask to know if it had thrown any misfiring codes (since the car performance was exactly as a misfire would show), and she said nope. She requested that the tech wanted another hour to diagnose a bit deeper. I said i was very wary of any more diagnosis as $$ were short, so tried to request more information about what was found already. She said she would need to speak to the tech and call me back. A little later she then says, we're going to hold your fees at 1hr, but now the shop foreman and the tech are digging into this and wanting to know exactly whats up so we'll figure it out. At this point i'm already preparing myself for the worst, $149 diag fee, and the recommendation for a top end cleaning or worse, piston replacement or even something completely unrelated to the carbon, since they were citing wiring and ECM before.

another 1.5 hours pass by, and i finally get a call back. She then says she wont be charging us any diag fees or anything today, because they decided to order new pistons and rings under "warranty" at no charge (she used the word warranty although i'm WELL outside it). The parts are on order and when they come in will need to leave the car for about 4 days for the repair which seems in line with the CSP you're all getting done down south.

I'm so so SO thankful that this was the outcome, both for the health of my lexus, and my wallet when we really didn't have the funds to do any extensive maintenance like that right now. That being said, i guess not all hope is lost for us canucks when it comes to the carbon issue. Hopefully others can start to receive the same treatment!!!
Old 01-26-15, 10:01 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Will I be charged diagnostic fee if I bring this issue to Lexus to have them take a look at it ? I am out of the powertrain warranty, but I've been seeing a TSB around the internet regarding this issue to be covered for 9 years with unlimited mileage.
Old 01-26-15, 09:54 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 139 Posts

i never did my valve springs recall and still no problem on my 350 but should i go and do the valve springs recall... people telling me don't do it unless your engine is having problem...
Old 01-28-15, 11:04 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

A friend had his IS250 done at a Lexus dealership (I think it was Lexus on the park, or something?)
It was done all through warranty, plus he got an ES loaner for the time period.
He got his engine taken out/apart, cleaned up, and new pistons, etc.
I'm thinking of taking mine in as well.
Old 04-06-15, 04:45 AM
jmanng
Driver School Candidate

It's back... went to start the car this morning (frosty out) and engine stumbled. VSC (blinking) & check engine light. turned it back off and restarted. stumbling stopped and just have solid lights. get the obd reader out tonight when I get the codes (see attachment).

I'll have to send another letter to el-president (of the banditos) once tax season is over.

Jaime
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Build-up Issues in Canada - Any Success w/ Lexus?-screenshot_2015-04-06-19-48-31.png  

Last edited by jmanng; 04-08-15 at 01:23 PM. Reason: add obd readout - only 3 cyls this time
Old 07-21-15, 10:46 AM
jmanng
Driver School Candidate

car sat for the week, so it's happen again.

I did feel it stumble on start and a couple of times when coming to a stop in the last couple of days (didn't though). So I decided to check obd monitor before taking it to get emissions test done today and was surprised to find that it had registered multiple mis-fires & a pending code (see graphic) since the service engine light didn't go on. I think it might still pass since the light is off but think I will wait, or maybe clear to get the ready monitors all set again so I can get the test done.

The problem that I have right now is, is that I'm not using the car daily so this is going to be an ongoing problem and I've got less than two months to get the test completed (which was why I was trying to do it early so I don't get caught in the last week or two).

So I have to say thank you to Lexus Canada, and to the President since they have yet to acknowledge the fax letter I sent them about the issue (wish we had a lexus dealership around here)... what a pita

well I need to get off of my duff and register the previous dangerous vehicle stall with transport Canada and also fire off another letter to lexus Canada and also track down the global president for lexus to send him the info as well... atleast I have a little bit of time right now to dedicate to the issue (try and take care of both in next two weeks).

2008 Lexus IS250

Quick Reply: Carbon Build-up Issues in Canada - Any Success w/ Lexus?