LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Wiring harness restoration tape

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-19, 09:50 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Wiring harness restoration tape

Anyone performing repairs or restoration to their wiring harnesses have probably noticed aftermarket electrical tape is not durable for use in the engine compartment...humidity, temperature cycling and heat soak will unravel aftermarket tape in short order.

Since the original engine wiring harness tape proved to be so durable, decided to investigate whether Toyota offered it.

After great difficulty, was able to acquire a roll of Yazakii VTAX tape..THIS is the correct stuff.

High tack..just placing my fingers on the side of the roll I can feel real surface energy.(very strong adhesive strength)

It is so correct that it cost me $35. delivered.

Having a valid Toyota part number and actually obtaining it are two different things.

If not in the North American parts database, then it becomes difficult or you must source in another Country.

Toyota and Mercedes differ on their attitude towards global parts support

Tape, Wiring Harness P.N is 82997-12010

Yazaki VTAX"

Last edited by YODAONE; 06-29-19 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 05:25 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 295 Likes on 243 Posts

I like TESA cloth harness tape a lot better. You can get it for like five bucks a roll and its good to 300 F. OEM for BMW, etc.
Old 08-12-19, 08:16 AM
SoCalUCF20
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
I like TESA cloth harness tape a lot better. You can get it for like five bucks a roll and its good to 300 F. OEM for BMW, etc.
+1

I use their fleece tape for interior wiring harness work and the high temp stuff for under the hood stuff.

https://www.eu-bay.de/media/pdf/1e/f...harnessing.pdf
Old 09-11-22, 11:29 PM
kingtron
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Anyone performing repairs or restoration to their wiring harnesses have probably noticed aftermarket electrical tape is not durable for use in the engine compartment...humidity, temperature cycling and heat soak will unravel aftermarket tape in short order.

Since the original engine wiring harness tape proved to be so durable, decided to investigate whether Toyota offered it.

After great difficulty, was able to acquire a roll of Yazakii VTAX tape..THIS is the correct stuff.

High tack..just placing my fingers on the side of the roll I can feel real surface energy.(very strong adhesive strength)

It is so correct that it cost me $35. delivered.

Having a valid Toyota part number and actually obtaining it are two different things.

If not in the North American parts database, then it becomes difficult or you must source in another Country.

Toyota and Mercedes differ on their attitude towards global parts support

Tape, Wiring Harness P.N is 82997-12010
Yazaki VTAX"
So I'm reviving this useful thread, I've ordered the same part from Japan, but it seems that TOYOTA changed the tape manufacture, the new one is Made in Taiwan, Nitto 2119TVH
I just hope that it has the same quality as the Yazaki VTAX