GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 GS 300 AWD swap to 350 motor how much work is involved?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-18, 02:43 PM
anomale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 GS 300 AWD swap to 350 motor how much work is involved?

Hey guys, So my 06 300 AWD is burning through about a qt of oil per tank of gas. Still runs great, has no leaks but I think what happened was some carbon broke off the valves and scored the cylinders causing excessive blow by. Anyways, Instead of trying to tear the engine apart and fix it (still an option) I was thinking of getting a used 350 motor from Japan and swap it in there. The main reason for that is that they use multi port injection which eliminates the carbon buildup issue on the valves. Has anyone done this or know of a writeup that talks about what all is needed? Is it as simple as swapping the ECU and thats it or is there much more work involved?
Old 10-09-18, 02:40 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by anomale
Hey guys, So my 06 300 AWD is burning through about a qt of oil per tank of gas. Still runs great, has no leaks but I think what happened was some carbon broke off the valves and scored the cylinders causing excessive blow by. Anyways, Instead of trying to tear the engine apart and fix it (still an option) I was thinking of getting a used 350 motor from Japan and swap it in there. The main reason for that is that they use multi port injection which eliminates the carbon buildup issue on the valves. Has anyone done this or know of a writeup that talks about what all is needed? Is it as simple as swapping the ECU and thats it or is there much more work involved?
should be pretty straight forward, might need to add a wire or two for the port injection. I believe the 4GR swap is really easy, may not even require ecu to be changed.. but your engine is prolly still good just needs some new seals and rings. any mechanic can inspect your cylinder walls with a mini camera, if the cylinders don't look scored you can measure compression and if it's good put some new rings seals, gaskets in the engine, clean it up, and it will be good to go.

I plan to minimize carbon build up by installing a catch can between PCV valve and IM as well as running the engine under load to burn off the gunk.

Last edited by potatomon; 10-09-18 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 03:06 PM
anomale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by potatomon
should be pretty straight forward, might need to add a wire or two for the port injection. I believe the 4GR swap is really easy, may not even require ecu to be changed.. but your engine is prolly still good just needs some new seals and rings. any mechanic can inspect your cylinder walls with a mini camera, if the cylinders don't look scored you can measure compression and if it's good put some new rings seals, gaskets in the engine, clean it up, and it will be good to go.

I plan to minimize carbon build up by installing a catch can between PCV valve and IM as well as running the engine under load to burn off the gunk.
yeah I thought about new rings and seals but even if I fix it the buildup will be back eventually. I have been walnut blasting the valves every 30k and it helps but its just a lot of time and effort and the car still shakes after the first couple oil changes. I also thought about the catch can but if im burning 1 qt per tank of gas ill have to drain it daily lol. Smashing on the gas pedal helps but the shaking still comes back pretty quick. I'd rather just swap it for the multi port and be done with it.
Old 10-10-18, 03:10 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Would it not be cheaper to just buy a new car?
Old 10-10-18, 03:32 PM
anomale
Driver School Candidate

Much cheaper to swap it out. you can find one for around $1600 with 60k miles or there is one on ebay right now with 100k miles for $800. I'll install it myself so no labor charges just a 30 pack of beer, couple days, and a few bad words when things get complicated. I would consider getting a new car but I love this car and mine is still in very good condition aside from the current oil burning and carbon buildup.
Old 10-12-18, 04:41 AM
potatomon
Pole Position

Yea I'm probably just saying that cuz I bought a beat up 300 and fixed the engine on it. Much rather have the 2gr...

Do you have to disassemble the heads to walnut blast?? As in, new head gaskets after that? And that price seems really good for this engine but you can't trust what they say as far as mileage on the engines go.. You have like a week to install the engine and return it if it's not good.

You're saying you can swap an engine in a couple days but you're asking how to do it? Lol, I don't know, just toss it in there, connect stuff and hope it works? If you buy the 350s wiring you can start the engine on the floor and having that harness will probably esentially fully turn it to a real 350

Last edited by potatomon; 10-12-18 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-12-18, 05:25 AM
potatomon
Pole Position

never mind just looked it up, extra fuel line(different fuel tank and possibly pump too?) different transmissions with different gearing, meaning no vsc unless you change the tranny and do a bunch of wiring, much different wiring.

You will need a crashed 350 donor. Then you can piece it together no problem and sell the rest of the parts for a profit.

Last edited by potatomon; 10-12-18 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 06:52 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I would just grab another 3GR and be done with it. If you were swapping in a V8 or 2J that would be different but this car is meant to be driven slow and comfy, its not worth the small bump in power for the headache.
Old 10-27-18, 07:55 PM
anomale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by potatomon
never mind just looked it up, extra fuel line(different fuel tank and possibly pump too?) different transmissions with different gearing, meaning no vsc unless you change the tranny and do a bunch of wiring, much different wiring.

You will need a crashed 350 donor. Then you can piece it together no problem and sell the rest of the parts for a profit.
where did you find the details on the fuel line and tranny?

also the heads dont need to be removed for the walnut blasting just the intake manifold its maybe a day job the first time then about 4-6 hours the next. There are plenty of videos on youtube for the BMW's here is one i watched in the beginning
. ours is pretty much the same I use a media tank and gun from harbor freight with a shop vac and rubber hose reducer stick both in the port and blast away fairly simple.

Old 10-28-18, 06:04 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

I found it on a russian lexus forum. They love to swap 3uz and 2gr as well as the 4gr from MarkX.

Actually, I believe the 760h on the 300 awd is the same tranny from a 350awd so youre good there.

For some reason the 3gr fse is notorious for 5th cylinder failure over there and when it goes people often wanna swap. They're saying its a combination of sand being sucked in due to air boxes cracking, being so close to the cat, so it gets hotter(apparently). Anyway that's how most 3gr fse in russia die - loss of compression in 5th cylinder.

Last edited by potatomon; 10-28-18 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 06:13 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

There's even stuff like this
Old 02-12-19, 07:30 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

This is neither to encourage or discourage a swap, more so to enlighten just how much work and detail is required in a swap these days....
IS-250 MT to IS-350 MT swap.... take a look. Its not like the 1960 or 70's when there was no engine management integration. lol Jeff did his research to pull this off and I doubt it was cheap. 4GR to 2GR-FSE.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...is350-6mt.html