2jzge Taco build - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzge Taco build

Old 11-08-18, 11:06 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

good progress buddy

how much did it cost for hot tanking a head in your area ? how about the milling ?
Old 11-08-18, 11:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Fanatic

I want to say the hot tank was around $25 and the milling was around $100.
The head I got looked fine but I just wanted to be sure it would seal well.
I could tell they don't see a whole lot of these, the owner said he had surfaced a few supra heads over the years though.
He was assembling the top end of a really nice looking LS motor when I walked in and all I could think of was putting an LS in the vette but its such a headache.
Old 11-08-18, 01:03 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

keeping that vette all stock will net you a good amount once you are tired of it after some years enjoying it

if you had my 1997 SC300 original 5 speed with 115k miles on it .... a perfect running car ... What will you do with it ? NA-T ? I need some ideas Am about to store it into oblivion in a barn my place down south . I can't enjoy driving it , it is super slow .

Last edited by gerrb; 11-08-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 02:12 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Fanatic

True, really I need to focus on replacing all the bushings in the suspension on that car and general restoration n ow that the t56 swap is complete and it shifts like butter!
I have a bit of an off throttle buck in gear at low speeds under 1500 rpm's I need to sort out, after researching seems like I need to richen it up a little bit and mess with the timing vac advance.
I thought I was being all smart putting a wideband in there so I could tune the idle screws to get around a 14 afr... I never figured that it actually needed to run richer to not buck on the old motors lol.

I have been tempted by several sc300's lately, just have too many cars and even though I listed the audi haven't gotten any serious bites on it even though I am basically asking the price of the parts in it.
I do really like the audi though so I will likely just keep it if I don't get that, part of me is actually happy that it isn't going lol.

One route would be to do a simple na-t on it, something where you can keep the stock w58 in there and make it more fun to drive.
I know it will be hard for you to not put a large turbo or a better trans in it but then it will keep the 97 5spd appeal.

On the other hand though, as rare as the 97 5spds are I don't think anyone will say it was ruined by putting a better motor or trans in it if you wanted to go all out.
I still can't get my mind off those single turbo 1uz builds. If you built one of those with what you know about the 2jz.. it would decimate all.

Those 2uz long blocks from 4runners go for a few hundred $$ around here and have the 4.7 iron block, throw some 1uz rods and pistons in it and maybe 1uz vvti heads to make it rev happier and it would probably set some records.
Main thing stopping me from doing one of those builds is that the engine is just tough to do stuff on even when you pull it, but the power potential is huge.
They also make a single turbo piping kit now that fits in the trucks. I have no idea about fitment in a SC though unfortunately.
Old 11-09-18, 03:54 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Ali SC3 View Post
(2001 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4) + (1995 2jzge na-t w/quick spool valve) + (R150F 4x4) =

This swap is going to take me a while so stay tuned, will post progress as it happens, but I'll try to keep it shorter than Kahn's build
I will be building up the chassis and the engine separate and when both are ready I will yank the 5VZ/Auto out and drop the 2JZ/R150F in.
Dang!! How did I miss this post back in August?? I love the progress so far Ali! I can't wait to see this project through to completion! I was wondering if you'd ever be interested in a 2JZ Toyota vehicle again and this is one combination that is a definitely a worthy challenge to succeed your SC.

And THIS which you just posted...!

Originally Posted by Ali SC3 View Post
So I ordered up a FJ cruiser transfer case from a 6spd, which has the full time 4wd with the center torsen differential.
I will be swapping the front input shaft from the r150f or Automatic transfer case due to the spline difference on the 6 speed manuals which are a hair beefier.
Once that is done I should have a full time 4wd torsen setup with a full manual shifter and almost no electronics, and it can mate to a 5speed or an auto transmission.
(2001 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4) + (1995 2jzge block, vvti head, na-t w/quick spool valve) + (R150F 4x4) + (FJ full time 4wd transfer case) =
Now that is going to be one heck of a 2JZ vehicle. Full time all mechanical 4WD with a Torsen center and I assume a Torsen rear! Are you planning to build up the R150F gearbox with upgraded internals? It might be a good idea with all the torque you'll be making with the VVT-i head and quick spool valve. Most of the Marlin Crawler and Driftmotion upgrade parts for the early R154 should fit the R150/F.

And I don't think you'll have any trouble keeping your build shorter than mine has been, haha! Eight years would try anyone's patience

Aside, when I did my build I bought a brand new non-VVT-i crank timing gear... but I didn't have it tack welded. Maybe I should have even with the mild power. I guess Toyota must have realized strengthening was needed if those gears became one piece once they did the VVT-i refresh for all their JZ engines.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-09-18 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-09-18, 01:02 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks Kahn, couldn't stay away from the 2JZ goodness for too long and I always wanted to build a toyota pickup...
so when I found out they make the swap mounts for the tacoma I just went for it when I found a good deal on one.

Only thing is I haven't found much on people using those mounts, so I will use them as a starting point if they don't work as is.
alot of the time they neglect to tell you that you need to do a body lift but I would like to keep it all suspension lift if possible.

I am not sure I have seen a full time 4wd 2jz in anything, most people make it rwd or the part time 4x4 like the tacoma comes stock.
At first I thought full time 4wd would be weird, then after getting more drive time in I noticed it already looses traction with the 32" tires on there with the 5VZ motor.

The tacoma I have is a TRD one which is common on the double cabs, so it has a rear factory locker. I think its a little different housing than the traditional carrier.
I have to see if I can get a lsd in the rear actually, cause I know if you don't have the locker you can cram a mk3 supra lsd into those truck carriers, and alot of the tundras did come with a lsd rear axle.
So I need to do some more research on that to see if I can fit a lsd and locker in there, or just swap for a lsd axle.. but for now I could launch in a straight line with the rear locked and let the center torsen figure out the rest.

I haven't thought about building the r150f or not, I was just planning to get a low mileage on in there and see what happens.
I know Marlin makes a lot of upgrades for these, same like the r154 but it seems like they are costly so I am going to try my luck on a good stock one first.
Also its not like the R154 where prices are ridiculous, I can get a low mileage R150f with the transfer case easily under 1K with all the bits I need.
I think the transfer cases have some play in them and slight power transfer loss so I am wondering with the 4wd system the shock load won't be too bad on the system and it will hold.
I am just shooting for like 500 awd hp so I think the R150f should hold up as is if its in good condition with a good clutch kit.
I am a little more worried about the center differential holding the power, but they do put them behind the 4.7l motor and the 5.7l motor which make a good amount of torque right away.

Really the best part about the build is I can access everything on this car without even lifting it. I can easily drop the transmission or pull the transfer case on this thing.

It's good to see your build getting close to finished and the car performing well, was a little worried there when you got to starting it but sounds like its doing great now.
I wouldn't worry about the crank gear till the next timing belt job if you already put it back in, lots of gte's running around without it but it probably happened enough for toyota to change the part.
That doesn't mean it would happen to yours but it is a possibility, especially if you are winding it out all the time.

Its a gte though so worst case you break a plastic cover or 2 and the motor shuts down.
probably not as bad as throwing a timing belt, my brothers supra I think he finally hit 70k and his car is on the original timing belt... actually original mostly everything from 1993.5 lol
I keep telling him to do it due to age but when I looked at the belt it still looked mint after all this time, but I know it will take out all the timing covers if it ever goes. engine wise not a big deal though.

I have a line on a few R150f's with around 100k on them but due to garage space being limited, will probably be something I grab a little before I drop everything in.. which wont be till after winter.
There are always like 2 or 3 R150f's for sale here in colorado., seems like the land of toyota's trucks and subaru's around here Not so much on supra or sc parts though

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-09-18 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-09-18, 01:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Fanatic

Some interesting info on the full time transfer case.
Also I may even have 2wd with this transfer case as trucks that came with these differentials were full time so the front axle is always engaged, they don't have the "ADD" which engages the front when needed.
My truck has the "ADD" system, so I am 80% sure that if I have it in High locked, and don't engage the ADD on the front, I should have 2wd just like normal... but that is just a theory at this point.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-09-18 at 01:24 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: