Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Jose's 97 Soarer Restomod Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 09:11 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

The braided SS hose upgrade will be a HUGE improvement. I just swapped mine out on my '92 w/fresh fluid and couldn't believe how much firmer and sportier the brakes feel after getting rid of those old rotting hoses.
The following users liked this post:
BLK13X (07-21-18)
Old 07-21-18, 05:01 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
Does the Greddy LS kit clear your fog lamps? I have a '97 front on my '94 with the Greddy LS intercooler kit and I need to modify my hot side piping to re-fit the right side fog lamp.
Cheers! I'd be happy to own the one you've got, restore it The hot side pipe fouls the fog lamp the way it is right now but can fit. I haven't plugged in the fog lamps yet though, that looks like it could be an issue. If it causes so much of an issue I'll be getting a new hot side pipe made up to run up closer to the radiator support area instead along the side of the bumper.

Originally Posted by RudysSC
The braided SS hose upgrade will be a HUGE improvement. I just swapped mine out on my '92 w/fresh fluid and couldn't believe how much firmer and sportier the brakes feel after getting rid of those old rotting hoses.
I'm hoping so! I'm having some issues in fitting the Stoptech hoses, for some reason two have fitted with no issues and the other two are being an absolute pain (front left, rear right). Did you run in to any issues with yours? Will have another crack later today.

Below picture is of one of the lines I didn't have an issue with. The screw-in fitting that connects to the body side brake line doesn't want to play nice on the other lines, even though they all share the same thread pitch and diameter

Here is the fluid after sitting for a while. Yuck!

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Let us know how you like the Motive pressure bleeder. I've had my eye on it for a while, but I already have a bunch of vacuum brake bleeders.
So it's arrive and I got it to work. The pump itself works fine, but the adapter took a while to sit up properly against the neck of the brake fluid reservoir. They recommend letting the bleeder sit for about 30 to 40 seconds to make sure the pressure doesn't drop, I left it for 2 or 3 minutes instead. The connector between the bleeder unit and adapter is a screw fit, I'm looking to get a quick connect as this is where I had the most issues with pressure loss, probably also look at getting (or making) the adapter for the reservoir.

Last edited by BLK13X; 07-21-18 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 09:03 PM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like your bfi mod, I'm thinking of doing something similar but I wouldn't know where to start.
Old 07-23-18, 01:50 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Thanks man, I've been rolling around with just the enlarged airbox opening for years and no issues. Drill four points in the front and either use a jigsaw or dremel w/ cut off wheel

The rest of the intake mod is on the backburner for the meantime, toying with some other ideas for it.
Old 07-23-18, 11:14 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK13X
I'm hoping so! I'm having some issues in fitting the Stoptech hoses, for some reason two have fitted with no issues and the other two are being an absolute pain (front left, rear right). Did you run in to any issues with yours? Will have another crack later today.
The lines get over flared when people work on it. Try lightly sanding the edge of the flare on the hard line and clean everything before installing the line.

Originally Posted by BLK13X
So it's arrive and I got it to work. The pump itself works fine, but the adapter took a while to sit up properly against the neck of the brake fluid reservoir. They recommend letting the bleeder sit for about 30 to 40 seconds to make sure the pressure doesn't drop, I left it for 2 or 3 minutes instead. The connector between the bleeder unit and adapter is a screw fit, I'm looking to get a quick connect as this is where I had the most issues with pressure loss, probably also look at getting (or making) the adapter for the reservoir.
That's good to know. I'll probably order one of these bleeders the next time I need to do brakes. Do you think the cap that I linked earlier in this thread would solve the pressure loss issues?
Old 08-01-18, 03:57 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Nice man I'll keep that in mind I've been away for the past week so hopefully will get some time this week to get into it again.

The seal to the master wasn't so bad but set up can be a bit of a pain so it may pay to get the adapter that you posted up, it has the three prongs to tighten up against the reservoir which is nice and will eliminate any re-seating when building up pressure... that in itself seems like it's worth the price. Still,my biggest issue was in between the pump and the adapter where they connect but since all I own are Toyota-based I may just wrap some plumber's tape to seal a little better.
Old 10-13-18, 10:37 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Not much to update except she's passed inspection and is registered.

Next up I'm looking at an R154 swap and new LSD. My coilovers are quite firm for the street (HKS Hipermax Pro's... less than 2000km on them) so looking to replace them with something a little more forgiving, haven't decided which ones yet. Also still need to fit my Celsior/LS400 front brakes.

I'm over the moon to be back in the Soarer again

Old 10-15-18, 11:33 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Absolutely love this car and great mods so far. You'll be ecstatic after adding the LSD - best mod I've done to my car thus far (if you're into track days and hood rat activities that is). If you decide to sell those coil-overs shoot me a PM.
The following users liked this post:
BLK13X (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 05:06 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Cheers! Yeah one of the rear wheels lifts up getting into my driveway just enough not to grab and I sit their like an idiot haha. If I remember correctly you had a Kaaz unit installed, how do you find it now you've had it for a while? I was looking at getting a 1.5-way Cusco or OS Giken.

I'll keep you advised on the coilovers, mind you freight won't be cheap (Japan to Australia was about $180 last time I bought suspension, I'd imagine to USA would be much more). I'm leaning towards the Cusco Street Zero A's (I've got these on my GS300 and they are fantastic for the street) and adding larger sway bars on both ends... should make for a decent handling car.
Old 10-18-18, 09:08 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Damn, I always forget you're in Australia! That may be more than what it's worth....

So far I love the KAAZ unit for the money. I pulled the diff myself and had a drivetrain shop install the unit itself, and then reinstalled the diff at home. After performing the break in procedure and changing the fluid a few times it performs excellent. I hardly get any noise from it like some users experience (a good break in and a few fluid changes really help this I think), and it's MUCH more enjoyable than the welded diff option. I'm very happy with it overall.
Old 01-08-24, 06:02 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Hello everyone,

I've been away for a very long, it's been four years since last seeing this car as I moved overseas back in 2019.

Anyway, I'm back home now and the car is in a bit of a sorry state. Needs a full service, there are a few rust spots (looks like superficial) and was in dire need of a wash as it sat under a carport the entire time. Should've had a cover over it, not to worry. Needless to say, nothing on it has changed since parking it up pre Covid.

I'm planning to have it on the road again in about a month or so as we've only recently moved back and have a ton of life's stuff to go through (mentally, physically).

Can't believe I'm nearing on *19 years* of ownership with this car! Love it to bits.

The following 2 users liked this post by BLK13X:
Bimmerbill (01-09-24), KahnBB6 (01-12-24)
Old 01-09-24, 06:21 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 326 Likes on 252 Posts

BLK13X
Rome was not built in a day so don't rush it. That is when I get I get into trouble. But I will say I am looking forward to seeing it roll again. Good luck.
Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bimmerbill:
BLK13X (01-09-24), KahnBB6 (01-12-24), RudysSC (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 06:22 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Bill said it best! Go through that bad boy and you'll have it back to its former glory in no time. Looks great - can't believe you've owned it so long!
The following 3 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Bimmerbill (01-10-24), BLK13X (01-09-24), KahnBB6 (01-12-24)