Jose's 97 Soarer Restomod Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 06:43 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Jose's 97 Soarer Restomod Build

Hi everyone,

My name is Jose and I'm a long time CL member and Soarer owner. Going on 34 soon, I've owned a Soarer of some description since I was 18. I have lurked around for the past couple of years being out of the modified car thing but now my situations have changed where I'm able to start rebuilding it to her former glory. I've started this thread really for me to keep track of the build. When I come across any part numbers etc. that I (and hopefully other members) find useful I will update this first post with them, and any prices you will see are all in Australian Dollars (AUD).

The Back Story
This current Soarer is the last in my garage. It's a 1997 2.5GT-T with auto transmission, black on black, that I purchased in 2005. I am the only owner of it since it was imported from Japan. It was my daily for a while, then weekend car until eight years ago when I had to pull it off the road for various reasons (becoming a new father and the rest of it). Fast forward eight years, 3 kids and 2 SUVs later my family and I have moved interstate from a 2 bedroom apartment to a 5 bedroom house with enough space for four or five cars. Although not physically with me (it sat in my parents' driveway the entire time), I haven't been able to let go of my 97. The goal is to restomod, trying best to keep upgrade with period specific upgrades where possible.

Firstly, a few photos for reference with what I'm working with:

Current Vehicle Upgrades and Modifications
  • Factory air box with enlarged opening (crude BFI mod)
  • Trust/GReddy SP cat-back muffler
  • HKS Hipermax Pro coilovers
  • TRD Forged Sports alloy wheels (F: 18x8.5J/+38mm, R: 18x9.5"/+40mm)
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tyres (F: 235/40R18, R: 265/35R18)
  • Low-beam D2S retrofit with Lexus RX non-AFS projectors
  • Pioneer 2-DIN AV radio and 5-channel amplifier
Proposed Vehicle Upgrades and Modifications
  • Minor chassis upgrades - uprated sway bars, maybe strut braces
  • Manual transmission swap - most likely R154 as it will be the most simple to install
  • ~500hp reliable
  • Reupholster interior in leather
  • Digital to analogue instrument panel
Current Vehicle Status and Checks
  • 30/05/2018: Major service and tune up for roadworthy inspection ($1915):
    • Car arrived to the garage in non-starting condition, diagnosed as a seized fuel pump. Service items replaced include timing and drive belts, water pump, fuel pump, spark plugs, front crank and camshaft seals, VVTi cam gear, all filters (oil, air, fuel). Front caliper seized (now rebuilt) and rotors skimmed, rear rotors replaced (thickness not enough to skim) and new pads fitted.
  • 01/06/2018: Interstate transfer:
    • Drove 1100km from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast, with Unregistered Vehicle Permit. Drove up fine without a hitch, HVAC works flawlessly after sitting. Brakes feel a little spongy, will need to replace the lines with SS and flush out again.
  • 02/06/2018: Partial stereo install ($879):
    • Pioneer 2-DIN AV radio and 5ch. amplifier installed, running factory speakers and subwoofer.
  • 12/06/2018: Coilover install ($N/A):
    • Factory struts and lowered spring replaced with HKS Hipermax Pro coilovers. Broken rear sway bar link, to be replaced.
Current Vehicle Issues
  • Vehicle is unregistered - State inspection required ($100) and then can be registered ($930)
  • Passenger side door lock inoperable - Door actuator maybe (69040-24070) - Discontinued at source, will need secondhand item. ($50 to $100)
  • Only sub (valet) key, no master - Either replace all door locks with a full secondhand set (~$120) or have master key made up from ignition barrel ($???)
  • Incorrect flasher relay fitted (causing hyper flash) - Replace with genuine secondhand (~$30)
  • Broken rear sway bar end link - Replace with aftermarket (~$25 each for Moog K750753)
Pending Upgrades
  • F20 Celsior/LS400 4-pot BBK: Genuine calipers purchased ($300, requires repaint & fitting kit), still require rotors, pads and SS lines ($150)
*** PROJECT UPDATES ***
  • 18/06/2018 - Trust/GReddy front mount intercooler kit purchased ($662)
  • 18/06/2018 - Stoptech SS brake lines purchased ($150)

Last edited by BLK13X; 06-17-18 at 09:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLK13X:
KiroLS (03-16-24), RudysSC (06-13-18)
Old 06-13-18, 12:25 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I absolutely love it, really like those TRD mags too.

Subscribed and looking forward to your updates.
The following users liked this post:
BLK13X (06-13-18)
Old 06-13-18, 03:31 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Thanks mate! It will be a pretty slow build considering what life throws at me and this will be a mostly DIY build but I'm determined to get it finished now. I've also a GS300 that I'm wanting to build so parts that were initially purchased for this car may end up on the GS300 instead haha.
Old 06-14-18, 08:44 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Jose -

Absolutely, and nothing wrong with taking your time! Seems like we've shared some similar circumstances. I've had an SC or more for the past 2 decades. l left my current SC (1J'd at the time) untouched for a very long time while my daughter was growing up (She's now 12). It pretty much was stored in the garage at the family house, and taken out on rare occasion.

As you know - that's the great thing about those generations of the SC and GS, is that they can share so many different parts,especially for JZ motor-set applications. You may very well either have a really fun daily or finding yourself getting a new one, lol. Always wanted a GS, and will consider myself even more blessed to have a GS-F added to my line-up in the foreseeable future.

Cheers and make sure to enjoy life to the fullest!

~Mike
Old 06-17-18, 09:12 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Thanks Mike, it's been a long time waiting. Oh yeah, owning a GS-F is a future goal but for now I'd be down for a well sorted GTE-swapped 2GS Convincing my wife that the GS needs another engine is something that I've failed in a few times already though haha.

The biggest killer for me are the exorbitant freight charges, or if available locally the price is through the roof. For example, a typical Aristo V300 motor set will easily set me back $4000 where it seems in other parts of the world you guys can pick them up for much less and they are dime a dozen (seemingly).

Saying that I've plonked some cash down this morning for a Trust intercooler kit from Japan, some Stoptech SS brake hoses and a Motive pressure bleeder from the 'States... belated birthday present for myself

Next up will be rotors, pads and dust shields to suit the new calipers.
Old 06-18-18, 01:26 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely, and happy belated birthday! What a nice list of new quality parts you got yourself there.

We'll both have our GS-F's one day.Although, in the meantime do hope that you track down a proper motor set for a good price on your 2GS. Hope to see a build thread on it soon as well!.
BLK13X (06-18-18)
Old 06-18-18, 04:32 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

A restomod is my favorite kind of build.

I'm not sure if the soarer is different, but if the keys are like the SC, then you should be able to find a lock smith and have a master key made. Any good lock smith over here will know the difference between a master and valet key, so they can duplicate the valet key and modify the cut to be a master key.

Let us know how you like the Motive pressure bleeder. I've had my eye on it for a while, but I already have a bunch of vacuum brake bleeders.
Old 06-19-18, 03:32 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Originally Posted by aswang
Definitely, and happy belated birthday! What a nice list of new quality parts you got yourself there.

We'll both have our GS-F's one day.Although, in the meantime do hope that you track down a proper motor set for a good price on your 2GS. Hope to see a build thread on it soon as well!.
Cheers! If I end up getting a 4GS it'll definitely be either a 350 or 450h F-Sport, the GS-F would leave a relatively large dent in my bank account

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
A restomod is my favorite kind of build.

I'm not sure if the soarer is different, but if the keys are like the SC, then you should be able to find a lock smith and have a master key made. Any good lock smith over here will know the difference between a master and valet key, so they can duplicate the valet key and modify the cut to be a master key.

Let us know how you like the Motive pressure bleeder. I've had my eye on it for a while, but I already have a bunch of vacuum brake bleeders.
Thanks! Yeah I've always wanted to rebuild her back to as-new condition. Loving your build too, those HRE's in gunmetal over white looks incredible. I'll give it a crack with the locksmith and see what they can come up with.

FWIW I ended up getting the universal Motive 0101 kit. I'll post up my results with how I go - I'm a little iffy about the universal cap/chain/hook set up that you place on the cylinder so I'm thinking of getting a stock cap and drilling through to fit a hose and quick connect to the pump.

Last edited by BLK13X; 06-19-18 at 03:36 AM.
Old 06-19-18, 08:39 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Thanks! Yeah I've always wanted to rebuild her back to as-new condition. Loving your build too, those HRE's in gunmetal over white looks incredible. I'll give it a crack with the locksmith and see what they can come up with.

FWIW I ended up getting the universal Motive 0101 kit. I'll post up my results with how I go - I'm a little iffy about the universal cap/chain/hook set up that you place on the cylinder so I'm thinking of getting a stock cap and drilling through to fit a hose and quick connect to the pump.
Thanks, my build took a lot of time and patience to get where it's at.

They sell an aftermarket adapter specifically for Toyota/Lexus master cylinders, but it cost as much as the motive pressure bleeder.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-20-18, 11:20 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

I'm drooling over this thing, can't wait to see more!
BLK13X (07-02-18)
Old 07-02-18, 12:35 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Not a full on update today but my intercooler has come in. It's a GReddy Spec-LS, should be good for my goals. Comes will all the pipes, brackets for the core & relocating a couple of factory parts, nuts & bolts and a length of hose for the power steering re-route.

If I have time tomorrow I'll head down to the local parts store for some black silicone hoses. Dunno if I'm going to leave the finish as it is or hit it up with some matt black. Mod laws where I've moved to are fairly lax compared to the rest of the country so no issues needing to be stealth etc.

Still waiting for my SS brake lines & pressure bleeder from the States to arrive.
Old 07-04-18, 04:30 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

So yesterday I fitted up the intercooler. I decided to stick with all stock hardware for the time being. The kit bolts on with a little massaging, the biggest issue for me so far were the A/C lines being right in the middle of where the cold side piping runs after the core - I ended up removing the brackets for the A/C lines & remounting the dryer bottle up which gave me just enough space to route the piping.

The P/S lines were easy enough to bend slightly without kinking - the GReddy kit comes with some new P/S hose that I haven't fitted as I wanted to retain as much of the OEM set up as possible.​​​​​​

The coolant overflow bottle also needs to be relocated as the bracket that is welded onto the core has a bracket that mounts in the original overflow bottle location.

Tight fit for the hot side down pipe, will try massaging it down later today.

Once fitted the core has plenty of space between the condenser/fan assy & crash bar.

Mocking up the front bar for fitment - it clears, however on the right hand side (my driver's side) it's a real tight fit for the factory fog lamp.

I haven't started buttoning it all up just yet, I plan to clean up my intake box & fit some ducting straight to the box. Also will be getting the holesaw out and cut through the original side covers that were removed to fit the intercooler piping - the less removal/missing stock parts the better

Last edited by BLK13X; 07-04-18 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 01:10 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Today I started mocking up the rest of my cold air intake then it started raining

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to shape it completely, The plan is to get this mock up reinforced with fibreglass, or make a sheet (metal or plastic) part of it. It's coming together, sorta

The air guide from the bumper vent is shielded on both sides in an effort to force the air towards the filter.

The intake path from inside the factory air box. The headlight should seal the majority of the top end of the intake but am considering adding a panel under the headlamp to kinda smooth out the air flow.
Old 07-17-18, 01:07 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

So Mr. Postman came around yesterday afternoon to drop off some stuff that I ordered from the US... six weeks ago... about bloody time they got here!

Got me some Stoptech SS brake hoses and a Motive power bleeder because I've recently moved interstate and have no friends lol. This will allow me to do the brake job solo, also because it will build it's own pressure it's not going to use the brake pedal assy to move the seals back & forth in the master cylinder - the fluid is quite dodgy so anything to stop the seals deteriorating any faster than need be is more than welcome.

Unfortunately due to life commitments I most likely won't be able to get to the flush & install until later this week... I also have a set of Mk2 LS400/Celsior 4-pots to throw on the front, but for the moment they are on the back burner (haven't gotten around to getting the rotors nor pads, need to get my hands on some other bits & pieces as well for the swap). After this is done it's time for state inspection, registration & I'm back! Good thing, since the throttle body on my GS300 has decided to take a dump, so now it's time for the GTE swap
Old 07-19-18, 06:24 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Will be following this one. Your Soarer makes me want to trade/sell mine for a cleaner one.

Does the Greddy LS kit clear your fog lamps? I have a '97 front on my '94 with the Greddy LS intercooler kit and I need to modify my hot side piping to re-fit the right side fog lamp.
BLK13X (07-21-18)

Quick Reply: Jose's 97 Soarer Restomod Build