Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Importing Toyota Soarer (1JZ-GTE)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 04:26 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing Toyota Soarer (1JZ-GTE)

Hey I am importing a soarer and currently awaiting shipment, but I figured I'd tried to get into the forum life for information and questions. For reference this is my first import, and so far it's been going smooth, but does anyone know if there is any forum members who have or are importing soarers or any other Japanese import? If anyone is actually interested I can post pics and the process I'm going through to get it here. The difficult part coming up shall be the registering though. I currently live in Marietta, Georgia and look forward to spending a weekend ( or a few) trying to get it registered and setup once it reaches the shore.
If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 05-17-18, 12:14 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Welcome to CL, dclevs! The Soarer looks great! Is this a 1991 or 1992 model? Auto or manual? Factory Torsen LSD rear axle? And what factory interior options does your Soarer have? Fill us in, please!

I believe a couple of CL forum members have imported JZZ30 Soarers. I know one member brought in an older Z20 series a couple of years ago.

Those model years, since they are now beyond 25 years old, should be possible to import without issue so long as your registered importer does the majority of the paperwork for you. I'm not sure if 1993 models are eligible just yet but they will be soon.

I don't know the differences in emission counties in GA but my understanding is that anything 1992 and older might be emission exempt by now in most of Georgia. Since the 1JZ-GTE engine was never made to comply with any USA emission standards your gray market car should not have problems in that legal area by now. How GA registers gray market cars and how this process works for you would be interesting to read about for sure!

As you probably know there are many mechanical and cosmetic parts that are the same for both the Soarer and SC300/400. Some common things, however, are Soarer-specific such as the front and rear windscreens, the side mirrors (at least the glass inside them being RHD specific), anything in the interior that is flopped for RHD, the digital "holographic" dash cluster, probably the power driver seat and even the aiming scheme of the headlight beams since the driver is on the other side of the car.

Anything drivetrain related you're covered with since 1JZ-GTE engines have a lot of parts support in the US now The same goes for suspension parts.

If you have a rarer manual (R154) model and it has the stock shifter still there is a copy of the classic C's short shifter made for the early R154 equipped Soarers with the older style extension housing (ie: your car would have this if it's manual being a pre-1994 model). This would be the Suprasport V3 short shifter. It's the only one that I know of besides finding a rare vintage used C's shifter for sale.

Also, since this is an all original Soarer you have, IF it's of interest to you to keep the factory side mount intercooler: just this afternoon I went over a work order I have with Bell Intercoolers in Texas who are re-coring a stock 1991-1995 Soarer side mount intercooler that I shipped to them (which is the same factory IC unit that you have in your Soarer). The only modification is the elimination of two metal tabs on the front of the IC core so that I can directly bolt on a 1996-2000 Soarer VVT-i stock IC shroud so that I can use it with my 97+ front bumper. Everything else is going to be left stock including the critical metal mounting tab on the top of the core. Since this factory part has metal end tanks from the factory it can be rebuilt with a modern and much more efficient core that should flow considerably more than the original rating of 214CFM at least in the 300's if not high 300's (which would be more than a stock MKIV TT SMIC's 305CFM).

They tell me they'll be making a jig for this project that can be re-used for any future customers who want to rebuild this OEM Soarer intercooler. You likely have other plans as most folks do but... for what it's worth... there is a path to make your stock side mount like new again with flow improvement. I'll be posting details of the results soon in my build thread.

Certainly looking forward to reading about your progress! Congratulations on your find!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-17-18 at 07:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dclevs (05-17-18)
Old 05-17-18, 06:32 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Kahn... you are freakin' awesome! thank you for all the information you provided, I believe you know more than I do about the Soarer
And yes, I plan to keep this stock for the next couple years while I'm in school, maybe dabble here and there with it. One thing I do want to work on off the bat is the intercooler. I'm really curious on how the upgraded core you mentioned, and I will probably have a chat with Bell about getting that done. A front mount would be nice, but I'd fear having to tamper with the front bumper for that. I haven't owned an SC before this so I don't have much to go off of for space in the bay. I just know I would hate to have intercooler issues, as the vehicle is stock (except rims) so I'm sure there's a few things ready to go out at some point.
But as for the details!
-It is actually a 1993, as of January 1st (and up to today), vehicles are becoming 25 years old as of the production month. This one was manufactured in december, 1992, but was still rolled out as a 93 model. But I did check and confirm it is legal!
-This is the GT-TL model, so it has the Toyota electronic modulated suspension (we will find out if it works or not), and as for the interior, it is not leather (not sure if the jzz30 came with leather this year), and has climate control I guess (not sure if that works either).
-It is an auto, not a manual which is a shame, but it was better this way as most of the R154's are fairly roughed up, high mileage, and cost 3-5 times as much. I do plan to do a manual swap eventually though (mark my words!)
- I picked this one out because it has 81,000 kilometers on it, so fairly low mileage, though the clearcoat is fading and pealing heavily in some places. if you look at the pics, it looks like the hood had been repainted or replaced at one point. the passenger side has the worst peel. But as soon as it arrives here I'll be getting it repainted, it has the midnight indigo pearl which I plan to keep (easier that way and it's super pretty pretty).
-This one came up at auction once, and I looked at it and though "nahh, the peeling isn't worth the hastle".... but after a couple weeks, it came back up, and I thought well heck, this is the only 93 I've seen that I can import (I was born in Jan. 93, so this is somewhat special to me) and with the low mileage and good interior, I decided to just throw a bid out there for $1,993 just to see what would happen.... and I won it lol. I'm definitely happy with it, but the whole process has me all giddy. It's been over a month since winning it at the auction, had to have the alternator rebuilt and new battery installed, and now just waiting for shipment at the end of this month. I haven't really come across anyone yet (that has responded) that imported a soarer, it seems a bit more unique than the r32's coming in to be honest (though god are those pretty when I see one pass by), so I thought yes, that is what I want. For me, I love the sleeper appeal. for those who don't know what it is, they wouldn't pay it much mind. I like that, it's subtle but still kicks out power when needed.
Old 05-17-18, 08:48 PM
KahnBB6

^^ I love your reasons for purchasing this one-- you've already made a very personal connection with it I think you really lucked out with this one and the price you got it for! The mileage is really low. Also given that only 5% or so of JZZ30 Soarers were factory manuals you did have a better chance of finding a good example if you searched for an automatic. I'm out of town right now but I have an original advertising literature book for the entire Soarer series from 1981-2005 and I think it explains what all the option packages for each year are. Well... it explains it in Japanese but it's very comprehensive.

Many Soarers did not come with leather interiors. It was optional on most trim levels and only standard on the highest loaded trims. In Japan, at least during the time this car was made but probably still, high quality cloth interiors are popular.

I think the trade name was still TEMS for the electronic suspension. For the maintenance and care of that I'd look up any related threads on Soarer Central (or http://lexusaustralia.org/entry.htm). It might be better to convert to an aftermarket suspension over the long term if it ever fails but perhaps not?

The R154 conversion is still a viable option today. Driftmotion currently sells brand new JZX100 R154 tripod transmissions. There is also the considerably stronger Tremec Magnum 6-speed conversion through Joel Grannas Racing.

R32 Skylines are really beautiful too, I agree. In addition to my SC I would like to own one at some point.

Most people will think you have an old Lexus coupe... until they notice you're you're not driving from the left side of the car. There is certainly a sleeper appeal to these cars if they aren't modified in a flashy way.

I'll let you know details on the Soarer intercooler re-core when I get it back from them. They should be giving me a flow rating before it's sent back. I'll warn you though-- the cost for it isn't cheap. $575 before shipping was my quote today. However compare this to what a brand new Supra MKIV TT aftermarket replacement SMIC costs from Garage Whifbitz (either direct from them or through Speed For Sale) and it's relatively the same. I'm aware that I could do a larger front mount intercooler for probably the same cost (as could you) but to me this is worth it to stay with a factory system at the very least for the stealth aspect of it and also because I won't require a large flow capacity for only 12-18psi of boost. You will have to decide for yourself if this option will be worth it to you depending on what you want to do with the car. I'll have plenty of pictures and details on it soon in my build thread.

Also, when it becomes necessary to consider, you can decide whether or not you'd want to have the stock ceramic bladed turbos rebuilt with steel turbines with some higher boost capacity or just remove the stock parallel (non sequential) twin turbo system in favor of a single turbo.

There are a great many things you can do to modify the car over the long term but when you first get it I think focusing on some baseline maintenance and inspection should be first. Then from there address staged reconditioning or upgrades as needed. If you're planning to use it while you're in school a simple stock or BPU approach with any as-needed DIY fixes will give you the most reliability.

The one upgrade I do recommend is an upgrade to 1995-2000 LS400 front brake calipers. That's a night and day safety and performance upgrade that's good for any SC300/400 or Soarer.
The following users liked this post:
dclevs (05-23-18)
Old 05-23-18, 06:46 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

I had just wrote up an entire post and clicked the little reply button the tab at the bottom.... discovered that was not the send reply, but the bar that hovers with the screen..... at least I got my rough draft in my head now....

Thank you again Kahn for all the info, you really know your stuff on these vehicles and I appreciate learning about them from you. I will be sure to work on the necessary maintenance before working on power increases to make sure it's in good condition before pushing it. when it arrives at the dock Ill be ready with oil and coolant in hand for a change before driving it home! And I always read that the ls400 calipers are incredible, I'll be sure to make that a priority as well.

So now for an update!

Sorry I haven't been on recently, been busy at work and finished up my classes for last semester, just been trying to find some down time to get back on here.
I received an email yesterday that the Soarer is set to ship on the 26th this month and arrive June 20th, so really excited to pick it up next month. The downside was I received an email today from the broker I'm working with through Pacific Coast Auto whom stated we received the shipping information really late, as in I had to fill out the Power of Attorney form and send it to them by tomorrow or there would have been some issues with shipping (and fees involved I'm sure). So I'm hoping I filled that out properly (wasn't expecting to fill out a POA till on my death bed lol), and look forward to working with them on getting all the paperwork filed to get the Soarer cleared through customs. I personally am still waiting on the documents necessary to file, and contacted PCA tonight in regards to when I'll receive those, because if I'm late on getting the ISF filled, that fine will be heftier than the entire cost of importing this lol. (that's a lol of pain and grief by the way).

But as long as everything goes smoothly, I should look forward to visiting the DMV early next month and getting it registered. I've discovered it really comes down to finding someone knowledgeable at the DMV to get the ball rolling on registering an import. It will also probably result in multiple visits.... but thank the stars..... I have a fair bit of patience, especially when there's a cookie at the end of the rope that just so happens to be drive-able.

Also I wanted to ask Kahn, are you still working on the sc300 and 2jzgte? I guess I should take a look at your posts and find out!
Old 05-24-18, 02:39 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey I remember you from caffeine and octane, I was the guy in the red sc300
Old 05-24-18, 12:55 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by dclevs
I had just wrote up an entire post and clicked the little reply button the tab at the bottom.... discovered that was not the send reply, but the bar that hovers with the screen..... at least I got my rough draft in my head now....

Thank you again Kahn for all the info, you really know your stuff on these vehicles and I appreciate learning about them from you. I will be sure to work on the necessary maintenance before working on power increases to make sure it's in good condition before pushing it. when it arrives at the dock Ill be ready with oil and coolant in hand for a change before driving it home! And I always read that the ls400 calipers are incredible, I'll be sure to make that a priority as well.

So now for an update!

Sorry I haven't been on recently, been busy at work and finished up my classes for last semester, just been trying to find some down time to get back on here.
I received an email yesterday that the Soarer is set to ship on the 26th this month and arrive June 20th, so really excited to pick it up next month. The downside was I received an email today from the broker I'm working with through Pacific Coast Auto whom stated we received the shipping information really late, as in I had to fill out the Power of Attorney form and send it to them by tomorrow or there would have been some issues with shipping (and fees involved I'm sure). So I'm hoping I filled that out properly (wasn't expecting to fill out a POA till on my death bed lol), and look forward to working with them on getting all the paperwork filed to get the Soarer cleared through customs. I personally am still waiting on the documents necessary to file, and contacted PCA tonight in regards to when I'll receive those, because if I'm late on getting the ISF filled, that fine will be heftier than the entire cost of importing this lol. (that's a lol of pain and grief by the way).

But as long as everything goes smoothly, I should look forward to visiting the DMV early next month and getting it registered. I've discovered it really comes down to finding someone knowledgeable at the DMV to get the ball rolling on registering an import. It will also probably result in multiple visits.... but thank the stars..... I have a fair bit of patience, especially when there's a cookie at the end of the rope that just so happens to be drive-able.

Also I wanted to ask Kahn, are you still working on the sc300 and 2jzgte? I guess I should take a look at your posts and find out!
Hey, you're welcome! I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable person on these cars though, lol. I have a lot of good people here whom I've learned from over the years.

The importing process is very paperwork heavy as you've found out. A friend of mine went through part of this process before with a grey market vehicle. It's why having a good Registered Importer to guide you through the process (or do most of it for you) is so important. Sounds like it's going like clockwork though. You'll be through it soon

Yes, I'm still working on my 2JZ-GTE swap. It's just slow because until the physical engine swap process I'm doing it by myself and solving little issues and projects that I needed to learn about along the way. It's getting very close to completion though. A lot of specific swap related projects that have to do with making a mostly "stock" setup with Cali emissions compliance. I'm updating the thread fairly often now as I go.

As before, please keep us posted on your progress! I can't wait to see this Soarer in your driveway!
Old 05-25-18, 03:40 AM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Oh man, the Cali compliance is an evil thing! but that is awesome, I've always wanted to do an engine swap, I've always explored forums about what engines were possible to get into a celica or mr2. Originally I had always dreamed of swapping a 3sgte into my 94 celica, and then I realized they already had a celica with this motor AND awd lol, so one of these days I'll be importing an st205. One of these days I plan to move back out to colorado so that would be perfect and fun out there. But yeah I could only imagine all the little things that need to be adjusted or modified to do a swap, are you planning on doing a single turbo or are you going with the sequential setup?
Old 05-25-18, 03:42 AM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chnk
Hey I remember you from caffeine and octane, I was the guy in the red sc300
I haven't had a chance to make it out yet, I've been dying to make it out to a caffeine and octane meeting one of these days, possibly next month if I have time.
Old 05-26-18, 02:41 AM
KahnBB6

Oh man, the Cali compliance is an evil thing! but that is awesome, I've always wanted to do an engine swap, I've always explored forums about what engines were possible to get into a celica or mr2. Originally I had always dreamed of swapping a 3sgte into my 94 celica, and then I realized they already had a celica with this motor AND awd lol, so one of these days I'll be importing an st205. One of these days I plan to move back out to colorado so that would be perfect and fun out there. But yeah I could only imagine all the little things that need to be adjusted or modified to do a swap, are you planning on doing a single turbo or are you going with the sequential setup?
I love all the GT-Fours! Especially the ST185 and ST205 but ST165's also. Keep your eye on that goal if you've wanted a 205 for this long. They will begin to be legal here soon enough Then there are also the Caldina 3SGTE AWD wagons if you don't mind auto-only but the wait for those is still several years off.

I only know that the intercoolers on those need to be upgraded and that they can be challenging to maintain over time. But so much fun.

My swap has a lot of little things I've done even beyond the Cali-legal stuff just to keep it very close to OEM or like OEM in looks and function. It's a hybrid of stock things from an MKIV Turbo, SC300 and Z30 Soarer (although really that's probably just limited to the SMIC with shroud and the conversion of the R154) and just a few subtle aftermarket bits mostly for the sake of function as well.

I'm sticking with the USDM Supra TT sequential turbo setup. Have to for Cali smog. I have one good used set of those on my engine and a second spare set of factory turbos ready to rebuild whenever I might need them. Any sensors, VSVs and other such wear parts that I could get new I did... so I think it'll be good for reliability for quite a number of years to come. I do love the STU hybrid twin GT28 upgrade option though but that is well out of my reach at this time.

Just the stock configuration up to 1/2-3/4 BPU for me when it's done

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-28-18 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 08:36 AM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Oh gosh, the gt28's would be a heck of an upgrade, honestly I wish the stock twins from the supra (ct12b's not ct20's) were able to be swapped onto a soarer to get that sequential setup, but obviously that's not a very easy feat without changing a lot of parts out. besides, I don't think the ecu from a 2jzgte would work on a 1jzgte without severe mods. But one thing I had considered down the road is swapping the 1jz head with a vvti head from a 97 or 98 soarer to get that single turbo setup, but again I'd still need to put the ecu in as well to run it, not sure how compatible that would be, and at that point I might as well wait a few years and import a later year model that came with the single turbo setup and sell the 93. I just need a garage one of these days, eventually when me and my wife are done with school out in Georgia we hope to move back to Colorado, or somewhere with snow. Even discussed the West coast, somewhere like Washington.

But I have severe respect for your build Kahn, there is something about trying to keep a car clean and stock while still making these very useful upgrades that just makes me smile. some people want to make cars as flashy as possible, but again, that sleeper style approach of practicality and performance makes me smile.
Old 05-28-18, 08:39 AM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

And yeah that is one reason I opted out from waiting another year to get an st205, really cool car setup, but with the super strut suspension and that top mount intercooler on the 3sgte, it would result in a lot more maintenance than I'd like to do just yet. certainly wouldn't make a decent daily either, even though I hear it's rather smooth power delivery too.
when I have some more money and a garage, would love to get one of those and get into some rally.
Old 06-01-18, 11:30 PM
KahnBB6

Oh gosh, the gt28's would be a heck of an upgrade, honestly I wish the stock twins from the supra (ct12b's not ct20's) were able to be swapped onto a soarer to get that sequential setup, but obviously that's not a very easy feat without changing a lot of parts out. besides, I don't think the ecu from a 2jzgte would work on a 1jzgte without severe mods. But one thing I had considered down the road is swapping the 1jz head with a vvti head from a 97 or 98 soarer to get that single turbo setup, but again I'd still need to put the ecu in as well to run it, not sure how compatible that would be, and at that point I might as well wait a few years and import a later year model that came with the single turbo setup and sell the 93. I just need a garage one of these days, eventually when me and my wife are done with school out in Georgia we hope to move back to Colorado, or somewhere with snow. Even discussed the West coast, somewhere like Washington.

But I have severe respect for your build Kahn, there is something about trying to keep a car clean and stock while still making these very useful upgrades that just makes me smile. some people want to make cars as flashy as possible, but again, that sleeper style approach of practicality and performance makes me smile.
The GT28 hybrid sequential twin turbos are very cool if you want to update the stock hardware with more modern technology for more boost (and more efficiency) but it's definitely a pricey option. Also, if you want to upgrade the CT12B turbos in a severe emissions locale. I'd love to upgrade to those in the future Reportedly without doing a single modification the USDM version produce another +50whp from stock Once you upgrade things to apply more boost they can truly be taken advantage of.

An extremely similar GT28 upgrade does exist for the 2JZ-GTE JDM CT20's and actually they may have a bit more potential when fully modified. They have larger diameter shafts when compared to the CT12B's.

The 1JZ's CT12A's can also be upgraded with better steel blades and shafts. Driftmotion does this as do some other shops. Also not cheap but it can be done if you want to keep it OEM but have much more power reliably. But many people go with a much more modern single turbo.

I think if you wanted to go 1JZ VVT-i it might be better to buy an entire engine with the harness and computer (just not one from a Toyota Crown) and swap that in with minimal wiring changes. The 1JZ-GTE VVT-i engine was actually my first choice over the USDM 2JZ-GTE non-vvt-i if it were not for smog legal barriers in CA. For a 2.5L it produces great torque from 2600 RPM.

Given your considerations it might be better to keep it simple and stay with your original 1JZ engine, even if you do something with the turbos later on. As long as you don't over-boost those too much in stock form (since they have ceramic wheels) you should be fine. But then you could also have the set of them given a standard rebuild to steel wheels if they ever gave out on you.

A garage or at least a personally controlled and private car port area is definitely a must if you do major engine-out changes. I don't have one myself but am kindly being allowed the use of one at the moment for the work I'm doing to my car.

Both Colorado and Washington are beautiful places to consider. In the winter months you may not want to use your Soarer though.

It's a wonderful machine you'll be getting soon! If you're both still in school I would focus on just maintaining the Soarer mostly as-is and keep modifications down to a minimum. Who knows what's in store for it down the road or if you do get a 96+ Z30 VVT-i

And thank you for the kind words, man! I'm just aiming to keep my car close to how it would have been done if Lexus had originally sold it with the much more powerful engine and beefier supporting parts. But personally I look at the SC's many others have built up, from cruisers to high powered street machines to dedicated track cars and I feel quite humbled

And yeah that is one reason I opted out from waiting another year to get an st205, really cool car setup, but with the super strut suspension and that top mount intercooler on the 3sgte, it would result in a lot more maintenance than I'd like to do just yet. certainly wouldn't make a decent daily either, even though I hear it's rather smooth power delivery too.
when I have some more money and a garage, would love to get one of those and get into some rally.
The top mount intercooler shouldn't be a worry to you. That should be an easy service item if ever needed. It's more the AWD system that might be a lot of tight work.

Actually, as you'll see below I understand they can be pretty good as daily drivers if you want to use them as such

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-01-18 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 10:22 PM
MNtyler
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 1992 Soarer coming in later this month! Factory R154 with an open diff and completely stock. I agree with the uniqueness of the car, for sure.
Old 06-23-18, 03:55 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MNtyler
I have a 1992 Soarer coming in later this month! Factory R154 with an open diff and completely stock. I agree with the uniqueness of the car, for sure.
Very nice man, I haven't been on in a couple weeks, been rather busy but I'm curious if yours came in yet. would love one with an R154, if you don't mind me asking, how much did yours cost? and also, who did you go through for buying and importing?
I'm glad I'm not the only one out here importing the z30's right now!

Quick Reply: Importing Toyota Soarer (1JZ-GTE)