Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Importing Toyota Soarer (1JZ-GTE)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-18, 03:57 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH! and where are you picking yours up from? Mine just got in to Savannah, Georgia this week, and I'll be going out there next week on friday to pick it up! super excited!
Old 06-23-18, 04:00 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The GT28 hybrid sequential twin turbos are very cool if you want to update the stock hardware with more modern technology for more boost (and more efficiency) but it's definitely a pricey option. Also, if you want to upgrade the CT12B turbos in a severe emissions locale. I'd love to upgrade to those in the future Reportedly without doing a single modification the USDM version produce another +50whp from stock Once you upgrade things to apply more boost they can truly be taken advantage of.

An extremely similar GT28 upgrade does exist for the 2JZ-GTE JDM CT20's and actually they may have a bit more potential when fully modified. They have larger diameter shafts when compared to the CT12B's.

The 1JZ's CT12A's can also be upgraded with better steel blades and shafts. Driftmotion does this as do some other shops. Also not cheap but it can be done if you want to keep it OEM but have much more power reliably. But many people go with a much more modern single turbo.

I think if you wanted to go 1JZ VVT-i it might be better to buy an entire engine with the harness and computer (just not one from a Toyota Crown) and swap that in with minimal wiring changes. The 1JZ-GTE VVT-i engine was actually my first choice over the USDM 2JZ-GTE non-vvt-i if it were not for smog legal barriers in CA. For a 2.5L it produces great torque from 2600 RPM.

Given your considerations it might be better to keep it simple and stay with your original 1JZ engine, even if you do something with the turbos later on. As long as you don't over-boost those too much in stock form (since they have ceramic wheels) you should be fine. But then you could also have the set of them given a standard rebuild to steel wheels if they ever gave out on you.

A garage or at least a personally controlled and private car port area is definitely a must if you do major engine-out changes. I don't have one myself but am kindly being allowed the use of one at the moment for the work I'm doing to my car.

Both Colorado and Washington are beautiful places to consider. In the winter months you may not want to use your Soarer though.

It's a wonderful machine you'll be getting soon! If you're both still in school I would focus on just maintaining the Soarer mostly as-is and keep modifications down to a minimum. Who knows what's in store for it down the road or if you do get a 96+ Z30 VVT-i

And thank you for the kind words, man! I'm just aiming to keep my car close to how it would have been done if Lexus had originally sold it with the much more powerful engine and beefier supporting parts. But personally I look at the SC's many others have built up, from cruisers to high powered street machines to dedicated track cars and I feel quite humbled

The top mount intercooler shouldn't be a worry to you. That should be an easy service item if ever needed. It's more the AWD system that might be a lot of tight work.

Actually, as you'll see below I understand they can be pretty good as daily drivers if you want to use them as such

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvaBxMNwKqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5D5Aaajv8
Haha, I love Mr regular, he scares me a bit sometimes though.... lol. And sorry I haven't been on in a bit, been getting stuff done, had the broker get all the paperwork ready and filed and the car just got into the port this week, so I plan on getting it next week (thankfully they allow 10 free business days after arrival for storage). I'll be bringing it back to Marietta, then sanding it down and getting it ready for painting. going to keep it the same color though just so it all blends properly.
Old 06-23-18, 09:23 PM
MNtyler
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dclevs
OH! and where are you picking yours up from? Mine just got in to Savannah, Georgia this week, and I'll be going out there next week on friday to pick it up! super excited!
I went through Top Rank. Brian J was super helpful! They actually do so much business here in Minnesota they have a satellite office lol. The car will be here next weekend! I got it for 11,500 with 51k miles on it, factory R154, and an open diff.
Old 06-23-18, 11:50 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Haha, I love Mr regular, he scares me a bit sometimes though.... lol. And sorry I haven't been on in a bit, been getting stuff done, had the broker get all the paperwork ready and filed and the car just got into the port this week, so I plan on getting it next week (thankfully they allow 10 free business days after arrival for storage). I'll be bringing it back to Marietta, then sanding it down and getting it ready for painting. going to keep it the same color though just so it all blends properly.
Haha. Mr. Regular is an okay guy. He was honing his unique brand of comedy delivery for years before he started RCR with Roman. He started out as a college radio DJ. His comic timing and delivery have always been spot-on.

No worries, we all have stuff that comes up and getting all that paperwork (and the all-important HS-7 DOT form) for your Soarer had to be your main focus recently

I haven't given any time to updating my thread either, though I've been working on the car almost every day for weeks now. I'll post an update soon.

It sounds like you'll just make it through the customs process before you'd incur any extra storage fees, so good deal there! Going right into paint, it'll be stunning
The following users liked this post:
dclevs (06-25-18)
Old 06-25-18, 03:17 AM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Haha. Mr. Regular is an okay guy. He was honing his unique brand of comedy delivery for years before he started RCR with Roman. He started out as a college radio DJ. His comic timing and delivery have always been spot-on.

No worries, we all have stuff that comes up and getting all that paperwork (and the all-important HS-7 DOT form) for your Soarer had to be your main focus recently

I haven't given any time to updating my thread either, though I've been working on the car almost every day for weeks now. I'll post an update soon.

It sounds like you'll just make it through the customs process before you'd incur any extra storage fees, so good deal there! Going right into paint, it'll be stunning
Thanks Kahn, and that's awesome you've been dedicated to your project, I'm excited to see how far you've come with it. I could never understand why a 2jz-gte setup was never available in the states, maybe not much demand in the market at the time, but I feel like they did a plethora of crazy things in the early 90's with sports cars haha.
Old 06-25-18, 03:23 AM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MNtyler

I went through Top Rank. Brian J was super helpful! They actually do so much business here in Minnesota they have a satellite office lol. The car will be here next weekend! I got it for 11,500 with 51k miles on it, factory R154, and an open diff.
That is sweet man, especially with that few miles on it! out of curiosity, who are you insuring it through? I'm going through American Collector's insurance but everyone keeps telling me regular companies will insure it if you pitch it the right way XD
I've contacted progressive, geico, and USAA (current insurer) a couple different occasions, and no one over the phone has been able to give me a straight answer.
And if you ever find yourself down in Atlanta for Caffeine and Octane, hit me up!
Old 06-25-18, 09:56 AM
atoledo
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is sweet man, especially with that few miles on it! out of curiosity, who are you insuring it through? I'm going through American Collector's insurance but everyone keeps telling me regular companies will insure it if you pitch it the right way XD
I've contacted progressive, geico, and USAA (current insurer) a couple different occasions, and no one over the phone has been able to give me a straight answer.
And if you ever find yourself down in Atlanta for Caffeine and Octane, hit me up!
Once you get the vehicle titled you can definitely go through geico. I have geico on my soarer currently and it is not expensive at all.
Old 06-25-18, 05:48 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by atoledo
Once you get the vehicle titled you can definitely go through geico. I have geico on my soarer currently and it is not expensive at all.
ok awesome, well it's nice to know I have options. I'll have to call around and use the VIN this time to see if they can pull it up. Do you just have regular auto insurance on it or did you have to get around the fact it's an import?
Old 06-26-18, 07:10 AM
atoledo
Rookie

ok awesome, well it's nice to know I have options. I'll have to call around and use the VIN this time to see if they can pull it up. Do you just have regular auto insurance on it or did you have to get around the fact it's an import?
I have the "leisure vehicle" coverage meaning I should be driving it less than 5k miles a year, but it's still covered fully. I was completely up front that it is an imported car and the rep I spoke with just had to talk to his manager for a second because he had trouble with the VIN. Massachusetts issued the title with a VIN that has less digits than normal so that was the only hiccup. Overall it worked out to be about $32 a month.
Old 06-26-18, 09:06 AM
SupaDoopa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, what other fees are associated? Obviously shipping but what is your 'said and done' price including the $2,000 purchase price?
Old 06-26-18, 08:57 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by atoledo
I have the "leisure vehicle" coverage meaning I should be driving it less than 5k miles a year, but it's still covered fully. I was completely up front that it is an imported car and the rep I spoke with just had to talk to his manager for a second because he had trouble with the VIN. Massachusetts issued the title with a VIN that has less digits than normal so that was the only hiccup. Overall it worked out to be about $32 a month.
Alright nice, yeah that is a really good price for insurance, of course they only expect you to be driving it so much and keeping it out of harms way. I intend to be driving this a bit more than that (possibly), but I guess I'll have to determine how keen they are about enforcing the mileage limitations.
How is it by the way? like driving your soarer?
it's wierd buying a car with such little experience actually knowing about how it drives. It's not like soarers are all that popular even in other parts of the world. I've been through soarer central and a few other forums, but they aren't very lively with a community following I guess.
Old 06-26-18, 09:01 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SupaDoopa
If you don't mind me asking, what other fees are associated? Obviously shipping but what is your 'said and done' price including the $2,000 purchase price?
I'll have to tally everything up after I pick it up on friday to give you a total cost, I still have to get it registered as well, but I estimated everything to be about $5000 all together. It would have been less, but I needed the alternator and battery replaced over there before shipping, and that was about another $430 on top of the $2000 for the vehicle. ballpark right now would be honestly 5k, maybe $5100 after registration. But I'll try to post more information once I get all my documents together and have time to put up the different costs and fees.
Old 06-27-18, 08:07 AM
atoledo
Rookie

Alright nice, yeah that is a really good price for insurance, of course they only expect you to be driving it so much and keeping it out of harms way. I intend to be driving this a bit more than that (possibly), but I guess I'll have to determine how keen they are about enforcing the mileage limitations.
How is it by the way? like driving your soarer?
it's wierd buying a car with such little experience actually knowing about how it drives. It's not like soarers are all that popular even in other parts of the world. I've been through soarer central and a few other forums, but they aren't very lively with a community following I guess.
It's great. Has all of the nostalgic JDM bits - digital cluster, passenger flare, interior pieces, and is RHD. I like that it's lower key than a skyline or other 25 year old imports. It'll take a week or so to not turn on your wipers everytime you go to use your turn signal. It still completely blows me away that the car was made in 91 (Japan got the Jzz30/SC a year earlier than the US). The majority of the members on this forum spend the money and take care of these cars as they should and I suggest you do the same.
Old 06-28-18, 02:05 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Thanks Kahn, and that's awesome you've been dedicated to your project, I'm excited to see how far you've come with it. I could never understand why a 2jz-gte setup was never available in the states, maybe not much demand in the market at the time, but I feel like they did a plethora of crazy things in the early 90's with sports cars haha.
Thank you sir! I'm also in large part motivated by the need to have a running car again as this one is my daily, haha. It's nearly done now. If I'm lucky only a day or two and I can start her up, finally. I will retroactively update my thread very soon.

And the 2JZ-GTE was available in the States... in the MKIV Supra TT ;D We (and the UK and some other European countries) even got the best version.

It is a really sad thing that we never got the 2JZ-GTE in the Lexus GS since the identical JDM Aristo version did. And of course we never got any version of the ubiquitous 1JZ-GTE. The Lexus SC would have had a completely different reputation here if it had come with that engine. In the 1990's attitudes towards turbocharged cars were different and luxury cars weren't seen as candidates for them in the US market. Very shortsighted in hindsight but it's history now. Also, Toyota probably didn't want the 1JZ-GTE 5-speed M/T or 4-speed A/T drivetrain to steal any thunder from their intended flagship coupe, the SC400 or to cannibalize any sales from their flagship sportscar in the Supra Twin Turbo OR especially the cheaper MSRP Supra NA. This, despite the 400 not being available with a manual and the rare SC300 5-speed manual models actually being a hair faster anyway until MY1998.

But it was still a huge lost opportunity. I still don't understand why the SC300 5-speeds didn't even get Torsen LSD's standard. The buyers for those would have enjoyed that equipment.

At least now it's legal to import these and other great JDM cars but over time the 2JZ and 1JZ aftermarket has made up for most of the loss, so long as some heavy modification to otherwise stock SC's is undertaken. These cars were always originally intended to be powered by either turbocharged I-6's or smooth NA V8's.

The only major headache is if you want one of these in turbo trim in a heavily emissions controlled area and even 20-30 years of age on the chassis isn't considered "exempt" Toyota and Lexus really did short-change us by never offering more than one turbo JZ engine for the USA and then only included in a single model that was very low production to begin with. But then most of the big Japanese manufacturers did the same thing by denying the best engine in an obviously sporty model or by assuming Americans would never want most of their turbocharged models anyway.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-28-18 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 03:32 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Thank you sir! I'm also in large part motivated by the need to have a running car again as this one is my daily, haha. It's nearly done now. If I'm lucky only a day or two and I can start her up, finally. I will retroactively update my thread very soon.

And the 2JZ-GTE was available in the States... in the MKIV Supra TT ;D We (and the UK and some other European countries) even got the best version.

It is a really sad thing that we never got the 2JZ-GTE in the Lexus GS since the identical JDM Aristo version did. And of course we never got any version of the ubiquitous 1JZ-GTE. The Lexus SC would have had a completely different reputation here if it had come with that engine. In the 1990's attitudes towards turbocharged cars were different and luxury cars weren't seen as candidates for them in the US market. Very shortsighted in hindsight but it's history now. Also, Toyota probably didn't want the 1JZ-GTE 5-speed M/T or 4-speed A/T drivetrain to steal any thunder from their intended flagship coupe, the SC400 or to cannibalize any sales from their flagship sportscar in the Supra Twin Turbo OR especially the cheaper MSRP Supra NA. This, despite the 400 not being available with a manual and the rare SC300 5-speed manual models actually being a hair faster anyway until MY1998.

But it was still a huge lost opportunity. I still don't understand why the SC300 5-speeds didn't even get Torsen LSD's standard. The buyers for those would have enjoyed that equipment.

At least now it's legal to import these and other great JDM cars but over time the 2JZ and 1JZ aftermarket has made up for most of the loss, so long as some heavy modification to otherwise stock SC's is undertaken. These cars were always originally intended to be powered by either turbocharged I-6's or smooth NA V8's.

The only major headache is if you want one of these in turbo trim in a heavily emissions controlled area and even 20-30 years of age on the chassis isn't considered "exempt" Toyota and Lexus really did short-change us by never offering more than one turbo JZ engine for the USA and then only included in a single model that was very low production to begin with. But then most of the big Japanese manufacturers did the same thing by denying the best engine in an obviously sporty model or by assuming Americans would never want most of their turbocharged models anyway.
Yep exactly, I feel we got the short end of the stick on a lot of great vehicles. But hey, maybe that's what makes them so desirable now. I'll be picking up the soarer tomorrow, making my trip out to Savannah! Really excited and nervous, hopefully it's not sea sick or anything XD
But I'll make sure it's in good running condition with new fluids before driving it back home, should be a smooth trip and I've just been daydreaming all this week haha.

Quick Reply: Importing Toyota Soarer (1JZ-GTE)