Importing Toyota Soarer (1JZ-GTE) - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Importing Toyota Soarer (1JZ-GTE)

Old 07-11-18, 10:27 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by dclevs View Post
It ridiculous how restrictive California is compared to every other state, and it's a bit sad honestly because that really only allows for expensive methods of getting an import compliant over there.
Overall it is sad, yes. I'll say this objectively as to the intent: I do understand and support the reasons for the need to make sure the majority of cars over there are running as clean as their original OEM designs intended them to. If you look back at footage, photos and air quality data from the 1970's and 1980's in southern California alone and compare it to today the regulations have made a big difference. Also, the air really doesn't MOVE over there which is why it's such a big problem. So whatever is in the air just hangs as more of the same emissions keep getting added.

Where I take issue is with the visual inspection only being excepted by CARB E.O. approved aftermarket parts being more important than measured tail pipe numbers (thanks to Edelbrock lobbying CARB in the mid-1980's) or how it's not legal to update the emission system on your really old 70's/80's engine in such a way that it actually pollutes LESS than when totally stock.

And then there is the death of the 30-year rolling exemption many years ago. Some people drive really old cars on a regular basis but it is not a large portion of the population for a myriad of reasons. There was a bill aimed at raising the exempted model year threshold from 1975 and older to 1980 and older but even that reasonable arrangement was flatly shot down.

It is what it is. I just focus on finding the best way I can to enjoy the vehicle I like and jump through the hoops required. As demanding as the rules are when it comes to some engine swaps I feel it's worth it when you can still enjoy the car you like in the end

But I have a lot of respect and admiration for your 2jzgte build Kahn, going over your build you have put so much into making it as reliable and properly built as possible. It's on another level compared to the typical engine swap write ups I've read through, trust me. so kudos on your attention to detail for every bit and piece! Im really looking forward to seeing it up and running!
Thank you for saying that, dclevs. To me it's a build limited in scope and reward compared to many other more impressive ones that have been done over the years but the number of steps involved have kept me busy, haha.

I've learned many things about building an engine for the first time while going through this long saga and I was inspired by the builds and DIY threads of many other members before beginning mine. And there has been a lot of help and advice given to me along the way. A lot of what I've documented in my thread has been me wanting to be sure I've done something right because I've never done it before, lol! Another intention has been to do my best to show as I go how to do a USDM 2JZGTE swap for the purposes of getting one legally registered in CA and what specifics are required. Neither CA or Toyota make it easy.

I'd certainly have liked to have made it come together much faster but I should have it up and running very soon

As for the Soarer, I have run into another snag. I performed a coolant flush today as the coolant was looking old and I had noticed an issue with the temperature gauge bumping up a bit when I really put my foot down a few times on the highway.
You may want to check the health of your OEM fuel tank fuel level sending unit. Will have to check the EPC diagrams for the SC300 and Soarer to determine if it's the same part or not. I'd suggest checking your dash gauge also but yours is all digital so no need

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-11-18 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 11:57 PM
kartel876
Driver School Candidate

Nice Soarer man! i have a black hardtop 1991 Soarer. 1jzgte with R154 trans LSD too.
Old 07-17-18, 04:26 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
dclevs, I hope I'm not too late to inform your radiator decision. You can use the OEM SC300 lower radiator hose if any replacement is needed (the lower hose should be exactly the same for both the SC300 and Soarer) and an MKIV Supra TT upper radiator hose which is P/N 16571-46150 (or you can use the slightly improved version for 1998 Supra TT's: 16571-46230).

The later 1997 or 1998 spec SC300 radiator has only a single row core while the earlier 1992-96 (or up to 97?) radiators have two rows. You want the earlier spec version for the better cooling.

ARC in Japan does or once did make a drop-in aftermarket aluminum radiator for the Soarers but it doesn't make financial sense to import one of those from an overseas distributor. Maybe if some company sells them in the USA which is doubtful.

Over the long term for improved cooling if you do any heavy modifications you can do an MKIV-spec Mishimoto or Koyo aluminum radiator swap. The fan shroud you'd want to re-use from your Soarer and I am not sure if all the mounting points for that shroud are the exactly same (they might or might not be). A Koyo or Mishimoto radiaor used on an SC/Soarer with an automatic transmission will require the addition of an external A/T trans cooler.

I did a past writeup on how to make an MKIV style radiator work in an SC (applicable to a Soarer):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...0-5-speed.html

So long as you are stock an OEM early SC300 Denso radiator should do OK to cool your 1JZGTE while using the stock mechanical fan and retaining the auxiliary electric fan that kicks in when temperatures are high and whenever the A/C compressor is turned on.

SC_coupe, when you installed the SC300 stock radiator into your Soarer did you notice any significant differences between it and your old Soarer OEM radiator? Thickness and/or number of rows were basically the same?
Thanks Kahn for the info there, I went with the Denso unit and dropped it in a few nights back and it's been working great for me, pushed it on the highway and haven't seen it heat up past it's normal operating temperature so that's a good sign. Like someone said in another post I found, the old radiator emptied with as much fluid as I could still weighed about 5 times as much as the new one (it was time for it to go). I did a follow up flush and cleaned it out, and it's been happy since then. Currently working on sanding down the entire car and priming it to get ready for paint. it's a slow process as I'd like to do it right and leave as little imperfections as possible, but I'm sure somehow somewhere the paint will come out funky and it's gonna bug the heck outa me XD
Old 07-17-18, 04:29 PM
dclevs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kartel876 View Post
Nice Soarer man! i have a black hardtop 1991 Soarer. 1jzgte with R154 trans LSD too.
Thanks Kartel, I've been enjoying it. I'd like a manual with the LSD but the automatic has been a nice ride so far, for awhile it's just going to get me from point A to point B in style lol. Every here and there I do some work on it, but after a few years if I fall in love I may begin to modify it. The st205 still beckons to me in a few years lol.
Old 07-19-18, 06:19 PM
SC_coupe
Lexus Test Driver

SC_coupe, when you installed the SC300 stock radiator into your Soarer did you notice any significant differences between it and your old Soarer OEM radiator? Thickness and/or number of rows were basically the same?
I had the swap done at a shop along with a bunch of other stuff, but my mechanic said it was direct swap and near identical. I have not noticed the car running any hotter, but also installed the GP Sports 1JZ cooling fan at the same time.

went with the Denso unit and dropped it in a few nights back and it's been working great for me, pushed it on the highway and haven't seen it heat up past it's normal operating temperature so that's a good sign.
Glad to hear you got it sorted

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: