Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Yotafun's 1993 SC400 a.k.a Project Fluffy

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 03:09 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been a while since I updated the progress of Project Fluffy, Still lingering on the forum and still working and driving the car. I'll post all pictures in the end since I couldn't upload all of them just for highlights.

After my last post more developments came about with the car. One night as I was leaving work, making a left out of the complex I noticed that my steering wheel didn't return to center! Mind you I was feeling a little spirited and let the back end come out a little, so I figured I might have ruined the rear sub-frame bushings. So the car sat parked again... But! I did order rear subframe bushings from Battle Version to do when I got the time...

The weekend after Christmas I ended up taking my daily driver (Toyota Matrix) and traded it in on a 2016 Toyota Tundra with only 23K on the clock. This is the first vehicle I have ever purchased (well financed) so new and with low mileage.

Then the global pandemic happened, and I got put on furlough, which gave me time to work on Fluffy a little more.

I put a new alternator in because every time I came to a stop it seemed almost everything shut down in the car. After this I finally decided to reseal my power steering pump that I had the kit for for some time.

Then it finally came time and the weather warmed up so I got to installing the Battle Version solid rear sub-frame bushings. I took it for a ride, and the steering wheel still didn't return to center! So pissed I walked away and then something in my head said to check the power steering rack bushings that I had already replaced once when I did the front arms. And that was where my play was! I ordered better Poly bushings and put them in and Voila! Steering back to normal!

During my time at home a 93 ended up at a local u-pull it. So I loaded my new truck and headed out! I scored the parcel shelf with decent speaker covers, rear speakers with factory mounts (the ones in my car were sheet metal screwed in -_-), headlights (mine were so bad from whatever the pervious owner did to them to make them leak), the gauge cluster (just to see if I could salvage the needles and bulbs), and a drivers seat (that I ended up not needing). Also around this time I picked up a set of 2007 GS350 10 spoke wheels in rough cosmetic shape but straight otherwise.

I installed the new speakers and parcel shelf first to clean up the look and get rid of the rattle from the speakers which was a pleasant change of pace.
Next I installed the gauge cluster just to test the function and luck have it found the mileage was right in the area of where my car was at, all needs and bulbs work! I also found out that my trac button had been working all this time! My old cluster had been so hacked by the previous owner that even with a new bulb the trac off light would not work!

Then work started back up and I started to drive the Lexus more to save mileage on my Tundra. It's the first vehicle I have ever bought with such low mileage and I want to keep it that way for as long as I can (means I have to do less maintenance more often since I drive far for work). When I notice I was still getting an oil puddle on the ground...

So again I parked the car and started to dissect and found that my cam seals were leaking. I also found that some how some way the rotors for the distributor had melted to the cam gears! So new caps, rotors, and cam seals later, now my only leak seems to be the crank seal that I installed when I first did the timing belt.... (I will do that sometime this summer, its not as horrible as the came seals were). Car runs a heck of a lot smoother with a good cap and rotor on the distributors!

Then I started to drive it more and decided since I had it and I didn't have a direction for the car, I installed the eBay spoiler I had, then from there since the antenna was broken, as a gag, I ordered a 7ft cb whip antenna... now its my RC SC400 lol! I also painted the very bottom most of the car black to kind of clean up the look a little bit, the car really does need a paint job but I am not prepared to do that -_- (even though I have done so much work so far)

I also put new catalytic converts in because I was tired of the car running rich and stinking and sounding like an old man farting going down the road because the factory cats are hollowed out. I still want to do a full 2.5" exhaust all the way back but I had to allocate some of my funds to my 4Runner that now has 35s and needs frame work.

Then as I was driving it more one night on the way home and the stereo started to act up, at least I thought it was the stereo. I ordered a different stereo to rectify the issue and still had the same problem. Then after a little bit a googling and thanks to this site, I found out my factory amp had taken a dump. So I parked the car again and ordered an aftermarket amp.

The amp came and then I fell down a rabbit hole, now the whole interior is pulled out of the car. I wanted to upgrade the interior to all black but couldn't afford it, so I figured I would at least dye the dark oak panels black for a black and tan look, I feel it will be a little more cleaner once all is said and done.
During the tear down I found rust on the driver side floor from a water leak. I fixed the water leak using some generic 3M rubber body seal around the top of the door edge. The top body seal is shot and so are my door hinges and I don't feel like spending an arm and a leg to change them so this was the easiest solution I could find.

Right now the carpet and seatbelts were washed and are drying in the garage while I get the wiring for the stereo done and the panels painted.