Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Yotafun's 1993 SC400 a.k.a Project Fluffy

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 09:17 AM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yotafun
Unfortunately the time line to get this thing on the road is the end of March, so holding out for a used set might not be an option at the moment.

If they last a year I will be more then thrilled, I just need it to get down the road.
I am going to keep the struts and install new shocks in them eventually, if my research is correct (you never know, can't believe everything on the internet lol) it seems the aftermarket coil overs are way stiffer over factory, I don't want to break my back, I already have my trail truck for that lol!
the track oriented ones will be very stiff. My cruising masters are real comfy it actually rides better than it did with the beat oem struts just enough stiffer that it reduced body roll but the damping is also adjustable.
yeah man time is money if you gotta be on the road do what ya gotta do to get it there anything beats totally blown struts!
you'll likely find that the rear lower bushings on the front control arms are shot they wear faster than the rest mine are toast i have new ones arriving today.
still working out an end goal for the car or have you browsed enough to have an idea?
Old 03-05-19, 09:00 AM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
you'll likely find that the rear lower bushings on the front control arms are shot they wear faster than the rest mine are toast i have new ones arriving today.
Yup, I am already ahead of you there, not only are the rear bushing shot, the eccentric in the rear bushing was frozen to the collar, cut off wheel and sawzall later and it finally is out, now to burn them out.

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
still working out an end goal for the car or have you browsed enough to have an idea?
I have and haven't decided lol! The car was originally suppose a Lemons car, but that plan fell through. Then I was thinking of a Mad Max style build but I don't know if I have the energy lol! Then a buddy and I were thinking of doing a Gamblers run but the one we were going to do was cancelled. So for now I just want to get it on the road and drive it, but I am kinda leaning back towards that Mad Max build. Here is an RC car I built recently that kinda gives me the idea!

Old 03-05-19, 10:11 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

hell yes mad max SC! i've wanted to do one for so long as well.
Old 03-06-19, 08:19 AM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldManTan
hell yes mad max SC! i've wanted to do one for so long as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shSq6nVicb4
One of my favorite shows! I love that build. I want to still be able to drive mine on the road at least lol!
Old 03-06-19, 11:23 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

I too would love to see a mad max style SC. If I ever come across a beat up 400 I may have to make it happen.
Old 03-06-19, 05:24 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I too would love to see a mad max style SC. If I ever come across a beat up 400 I may have to make it happen.
Two votes for mad max style!!

I'm not the first to lift an SC, there is another member here that has an awesome build for it.

My other option was to do autocross but the suspension would need so much more work I feel.
Maybe best of both worlds? Rallycross?

Old 03-07-19, 07:00 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

I think leaving stock springs w/heavy duty struts, new bushings, and some sparco style rally wheels with tough tires and mud flaps would be a killer look!
Old 03-10-19, 04:44 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Got around to finally cleaning up the wiring. It came out good.

However I found the Green Pixie Dust of electronic death... The amp is shot. The radio now turns on but I need a functioning amp now....

Finally got to working on the arms, anyone for rubber BBQ?

Old 03-19-19, 11:09 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Made some progress, I can drive it down the road without thinking I am going to die!

I got the bushings replace in the arms and installed with new eccentrics. No pictures of the finish product, but I thought this was a cool picture of the sleeve cleaned out.

So I did the LS400 big brake upgrade. I didn't read the thread to hard, I thought it was going to be just unbolt old, cut the backing plate a little and install new...
Not so much. New rotors hit backing plates, so I just removed them completely for now till I can modify them to clear the rotor.

Then I noticed the caliper would not line up easily and I found out why, the little nub was interfering with the bracket on the spindle....

So out came the cut off wheel and modified was the caliper!

Mmmm shiny new brake goodness and boy does it stop now!

I also replaced the rear brakes and rotors because I thought they were so rusted they were locking up, come to find out the emergency brake shoes are shot! So I will order those and get them on later, I just want to drive the car now!

I have driven it a few miles and went to get fuel. I will get it down the road more tomorrow, but I am not going to push my luck to much since I am waiting for front brake hoses since the left front is a little questionable.
Old 03-31-19, 12:31 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Took Fluffy to the DMV the other week, passed with flying colors! She's on the road!
Of course the day that I took it, the passenger side outside door handle stopped working and then 5 minutes after that, the inside door handle broke.
Since then I ordered an inside handle and installed it, and then I used parts from my old 4Runner to fix the outside door handle.

I love this car! I have put about 200 miles on it and it is a blast to drive. I am definitely going to invest in some decent coilovers.
I am not sure I want to mod max it anymore lol, its just so cool!

However it is currently sitting at my buddies house, while we were on our way to lunch it blew the rear brake hard line, so I have to get that fixed.
Also found out the traction control button isn't responding so I need to take that panel back off and figure out what is going on.

I'd like to get the A/C working again and fix a few little things like the center air vents, the inside driver window surround, the driver door hinge (it opens but its tight on the fender), and replace the rear window glass (the old tint on it might not come off and the defrost doesn't work). I caught the itch, I love this car almost as much as I love my 4Runner, it is so freakin cool!!!
Old 04-05-19, 01:49 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Next saga of wtf with Project Fluffy.

Got the brake line fixed, bled and good to go, I stalled new parking brake shoes so brakes are set.

I also installed new trunk struts so I don't have to have a broom stick with me or knock my head.

Last night on the way home from work I started to.get a vibration that got bad quick, I started to pull over thinking I was about to loose a wheel bearing. I hit the gas to try to get myself off the road a little faster and nothing, no more forward gears, but I also didn't hear any racket like a u joint failed.

Mind you its 1AM in the morning when this happen. I grab my flash light and look underneath the car, and found the bolts that attached the drive shaft to the runner isloator on the rear of the transmission came out! The only bolts I ever touched on the car were the driveshaft to differential bolts when I had to dolly tow it.

Looking at the bolts the previous owner must have threaded the wrong nuts back on after doing some repair and they finally failed and came out.

I pushed it into a parking lot and had a buddy of mine give me a ride home, got new bolts today and got it all buttoned up and it seems good to go....again...

I love this car, and I'm doing everything I can to make it a decent car again, but dealing with someone else's hack job is starting to take its toll on me.

I've put a total of 289 mile on the car and broken down twice lol!!!

Sorry just had to rant a little, it's still an awesome car!
Old 05-10-19, 11:19 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

So I haven't driven the car much but around town a few miles every weekend.

Been working on my 4Runner more lately.

Today, I decided to take care of the steering wheel.
Before:

Before

After:

After

It's not perfect but its 75% better then the slip on junk that was one there and it was cheap and took only an hour of my time, and feels good to grip.

This is the kit I used, I believe like $16 off Amazon and a super simple easy kit to use:

Wrap Kit
Old 05-25-19, 01:02 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Love driving the car but dealing with some vibrations I'd like to get reduced.

Started with the blown struts, got a quick cheap Ebay set because I just wanted to get the blown shocks gone, they hurt more then help the ride of the car.

Out with the old

In with the new passenger

In with the new driver

No more clunk in the front end and feels more responsive.

I still have some bump steer I hope to eliminate some of with new steering rack bushings.

I will hopefully get the rear done tomorrow and have less clunking back there as well.

I do have a bad vibe from 55 to 80 ish, talking with a fellow tech and research online, it seems drive line vibrations tend to plague these cars as well.

I've order a trans mount and I will order a center carrier bearing too, but what I really need is the drive shaft couplers and whoa boy are those $$$.

Old 05-27-19, 01:49 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Got the rear struts done today, and omg it's like a new car, no more clunks out if the suspension, feels tight and responsive, decent for eBay struts.

I also tried clocking the driveshaft again to try to and reduce the vibration till I can afford to replace more parts. Anyone have recommendations on driveline components (driveshaft couplers, center support bearing, transmission mount), OEM is $$$ from what I can tell, I was hoping to find some aftermarket upgrades?

Out with the old rears

In with the new passenger

In with the new rear driver
Old 10-03-19, 10:37 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Haven't done an update in the while, have done a few little things to the car, but I tell you what, the little things have brought a huge smile to my face.

- I have put about 1,000 miles on the car and it has done well. Still slowly fixing things here and there.
- I decided to do an oil change at 1,000 miles as well and put some good oil and a Toyota filter on.
- I have also installed an aftermarket radio since the factory one I installed was junk.
- I have also installed some new LED bulbs in the headlights that has helped out great for night driving.
- I have changed out the oil and replaced as many seals as I could access for the A/C system and recharged it. I have a/c and it is fantastic.
- I have removed all the old 90s purple thin tint and I can finally see out the back window clearly, its fantastic.

I am still chasing a vibration, I will be getting newer wheels since part of it I am sure is the bent rims that are on the car, I still have to install the new trans mount I have, and figure out what I am going to do for the driveshaft coupler, I am also going to do all poly bushings in the rear and change out the diff bushings for solid bushings. I was contemplating aftermarket arms, but honestly for the way I drive it, I do not need that much adjustment in the rear, it is in spec as is.

I have updated plans besides lifting it to also change up the interior and paint all the brown upper panels black give a cleaner look I think, also plan to do a rear seat delete (debating whether I pay for a kit or make one on my own) and install some aftermarket seats, mine are shot and the driver seat sometimes doesn't want to stay latched.

I was thinking of a new color for the outside to. I like the FJ Cruiser army green, but was thinking of adding a twist and doing it in a matte finish.

A lot of these things are a way down the road item, I am trying to just get the vibration gone since I would like to daily this car and get rid of my Matrix that can barely get out of its own way....

Quick Reply: Yotafun's 1993 SC400 a.k.a Project Fluffy