Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Yotafun's 1993 SC400 a.k.a Project Fluffy

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 09:26 AM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Damn, you've got your work cut out for you! Unfortunately that seems to be the name of the game with cars 20+ years old. I scored mine so cheap because the previous owner has cracked the oil pump and steering rack trying to jack it up to install cheap-o coilovers.
I am definitely testing my patience with this car. Whats funny is I have never had this issue when it comes to the 4Runners I or friends of mine purchase lol, its usually just years of neglect that is easy to take care of, this just takes it a step further, someone made an effort but probably should have just quit while they were ahead lol!

Originally Posted by cartmill
yotafun, good luck on the exhaust man. I just went through this with my land cruiser (well, not quite as bad as yours, but very rusty). I literally replaced 100% of it.

I just got back into an SC (98 SC400) and am fixing a lot of stuff. it sucks.

but isn't it a good feeling re-doing it and seeing how nice and "properly done" it is?
It is a fantastic feeling, especially when I got the timing belt and water pump situated and all the major leaks taken car of (still have a power steering leak) but when I finally fired it off and it ran so smooth it was a good feeling.
Old 04-07-18, 07:36 AM
tsmith1315
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for putting this great car back on the road. The reward is indeed the happiness of seeing it come back to life.
Are you planning on replacing control arm bushings? Given the price of the arms, I've wondered why folks aren't replacing bushings instead.
Fix that power steering leak soon, or you'll be replacing the alternator.

-Tim
The following users liked this post:
Yotafun (04-07-18)
Old 04-07-18, 07:55 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tsmith1315
Thanks for putting this great car back on the road. The reward is indeed the happiness of seeing it come back to life.
Are you planning on replacing control arm bushings? Given the price of the arms, I've wondered why folks aren't replacing bushings instead.
Fix that power steering leak soon, or you'll be replacing the alternator.

-Tim
I am looking forward to it, I finally got the exhaust out, just haven't had time with work at the weather to do much to it, there was even more wtf after I got the mid pipe out with the cat. I would really like to do all new pipe for the mid pipe section but I am trying to do this somewhat on a budget just to get it on the road for DMV, I have had to put a lot of projects on hold trying to get this to go but I will get there.

I have read about the pump, I cleaned up everything as best I could and it stayed dry for about a day..., I am looking to try to rebuild the pump but I haven't seen any threads on here about doing it or if anyone has been successful...
Old 04-08-18, 06:14 AM
tsmith1315
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yotafun
I am looking to try to rebuild the pump but I haven't seen any threads on here about doing it or if anyone has been successful...
There is a thread or a link to the rebuild with either pics or video... maybe on another site. I'll see if I can hunt it down.

-Tim
Old 04-08-18, 01:23 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

There is a thread or a link to the rebuild with either pics or video... maybe on another site. I'll see if I can hunt it down.

-Tim
I found this one:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steer...mprebuild.html

There is no noise coming from the pump so I was just going to do a seal kit.
I am not looking to spend money on dealer parts and found a rebuild kit off rockauto.
Worth a shot, just hadn't read any success stories.
Old 04-08-18, 07:59 PM
tsmith1315
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yotafun
I found this one:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steer...mprebuild.html

There is no noise coming from the pump so I was just going to do a seal kit.
I am not looking to spend money on dealer parts and found a rebuild kit off rockauto.
Worth a shot, just hadn't read any success stories.
Yep, that's the article I was thinking of. I agree, I wish I could have done a rebuild myself. Check your lines and fittings to be sure it's leaking at the pump.
I just had my PS pump replaced, with new lines and a new alternator. Not enough time or resources to do it myself, unlike you - you are a machine!

-Tim

Last edited by tsmith1315; 04-08-18 at 08:01 PM. Reason: no good reason
Old 04-10-18, 07:29 AM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Yep, that's the article I was thinking of. I agree, I wish I could have done a rebuild myself. Check your lines and fittings to be sure it's leaking at the pump.
I just had my PS pump replaced, with new lines and a new alternator. Not enough time or resources to do it myself, unlike you - you are a machine!

-Tim
I'd like to just do all new parts but I am trying to do this on a budget, its a budget build. At least till I get a chance to drive it more then 5 minutes through a full tank of gas and see how it does.
I wish the progress was a bit faster, but other projects in the fleet are getting some needed love. I at least need one of my vehicles to work right so I can get to work lol!
Old 03-02-19, 02:52 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Long time no update...
Have a slight deadline to get this thing fully road worthy and registered now.
First thing is getting the exhaust sorted. It isn't pretty but it doesn't leak!

First I had to drill out the broken stud on the back of the manifolds:

So I can't find my pictures, but when I removed the exhaust and CATs, I found that there were done and gone, so I installed some o2 sensor spacers for the time being to keep the CEL at bay.
Also my buddy did his best to clean up and weld close the horrible welds the previous guy did, but there was still a pin hole so I had to add some metal putty.

Then to make sure there was no leaks, I did some exhaust wrap on the area to hopefully keep everything in place and at bay.

Then I got some new gaskets:

The flanges were shot, that is why they were welded together to being with, I cleaned them up the best I could but with so little material left, I needed a little extra material to take up the difference, I will get a picture later but at least the exhaust is back on and the car runs!
Old 03-02-19, 03:05 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

After finally getting the car running again I could test to see if the new coolant temp sensor I installed would fix the cluster gauge not working...
It did but a little too well.... It would go to operating temp after like 10 seconds of running and then would peg past the red when warm.
I decided to give it a shot an install a temp sensor from one of my 4Runner engines to see if maybe I got a bad sensor.

First I made a test wire since the 4.0 sensor has a tiny pin in a circular connector.

But then when I went to unplug the sensor this happen:

So I just stripped the end of the wire and installed the sensor and I am now good to go!

I don't know if it was the breaking wire or the sensor itself, I think it was the sensor itself, one thing I noticed is that the Toyota sensor I installed had some kind of coating on it and the one I bought and installed didn't.

Old 03-02-19, 03:29 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Working on also fixing a few little things, bought a new screen and bulbs and my buddy was able to help me out and soldered it in, nice to have a visual!

Then I have been trying to get the radio working since it would not power up. Coincidentally while looking for any blown fuses, I found that the dome fuse was blown, replaced that and the power locks and the steering column adjustments sprung to life Score!

However, when I replaced the radio fuse it blew instantly. At first I thought it may have been the radio itself till I got the wiring diagram out and started digging. The previous owner really did a number. I found this when searching for the amp, I also chucked the CD changer since when I went to remove it to get to the amp, all the pieces inside rolled around -_- I will get back to it after I have another project completed.

Also in my search for the amp wiring I found the ABS sensor unplugged, I plugged it back in and the ABS light is out and it works!

Old 03-02-19, 03:36 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

So to get this thing road worth, I need to get the lower control arm bushings replaced, it is way to scary to drive without they are shot!
In typical rust belt action, the rear eccentrics are seized in collar of the bushing. I tried to sawzall them out while in the car and was having no luck.
then I discovered this!

It comes out! so now I can use other sources of tools to get the arms out, I already have new eccentrics on order.
Also you can see the wonderful exhaust gaskets I have lol they don't leak!
Old 03-03-19, 03:17 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Man what a disaster! But hey it was cheap and when youre done you could easily flip it.. But dont do that keep it and love the car. They are fantastic, comfortable on the road but can hang in the turns when the suspension isnt shot.
Old 03-03-19, 04:34 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
Man what a disaster! But hey it was cheap and when youre done you could easily flip it.. But dont do that keep it and love the car. They are fantastic, comfortable on the road but can hang in the turns when the suspension isnt shot.
Yeah it was cheap, and that is sorta the name of the game here as far as getting it back on the road. The goal now is to keep it, I have invested too much time and money into it to turn around and flip it. I am a perfectionist with nothing for a budget so I will do what I can to get what is broken fixed as best I can with the cheapest parts I can find lol!

And about the suspension.... its shot, like I didn't realize how shot it was till I was working on removing the arms, no fluid is left in any of the shocks...
So, before anyone bashes me on this, please read through the thread and understand this build is on the cheap, I will probably be getting these coil overs to correct the blown suspension issue... https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/Coilo...MaAi1DEALw_wcB
Old 03-03-19, 10:29 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

I just recently put a used set of Tein cruising masters on my car i got for $300 and a bit of a road trip and they retailed for something like 1,400 originally. Id go used high quality vs new low quality if at all possible as long as you're not buying blown-out coils. Check craigslist etc and see if you can find partouts or spend a week or two searching ebay before you pull the trigger on buying those.

But i have heard ok-ish reviews of those ones you linked but id be concerned about longevity if they only last a year they werent really worth saving the $ to spend it twice ya know? Not trying to bash on you at all youre doing great work on that car. just stating my opinion. Suspension and tires.. The things that keep your car on the road.. Kind of a big job with the way many of us choose to drive our fine pieces of japanese craftsmanship. If oem equivalent "non performance" struts cost 350+ for a set with top mounts how can a $218 "performance" coilover be made well and to last?

Either way i am glad to be seeing your car come back from a basket case to road worthy again. Mine was much less drastic the problems came over the course of a few months with only a couple there when i bought it.

The following users liked this post:
Yotafun (03-04-19)
Old 03-04-19, 06:53 AM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately the time line to get this thing on the road is the end of March, so holding out for a used set might not be an option at the moment.

If they last a year I will be more then thrilled, I just need it to get down the road.
I am going to keep the struts and install new shocks in them eventually, if my research is correct (you never know, can't believe everything on the internet lol) it seems the aftermarket coil overs are way stiffer over factory, I don't want to break my back, I already have my trail truck for that lol!

Quick Reply: Yotafun's 1993 SC400 a.k.a Project Fluffy