Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

95 LS400 FIMS 24 Hours of Lemons Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 12:50 PM
FIMS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LS400 FIMS 24 Hours of Lemons Build

Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller.

So, you've read the title (maybe?) well... Here's the story as to how this all came together.

On new years day, I exchanged a whole $200 for a 95 LS400 with a dead starter. While sitting at the Dennys my buddy and I wound up at (because it was the only parking lot that we could get the truck and dolly into) we came up with the plan that we would build this into a Lemons car. It's not the first one that he or I have built, but it is the least "Race Car" Race Car that I've had. What's the worst that can happen?

After two weeks off and on of finagaling with the starter, we finally got the old one out, and realized that this was not the original starter, and when it was replaced previously, the "mechanic" that did it used at least three gallons of RTV to make gaskets for the upper intake and coolant crossovers... We paused again to order the gaskets, because no one in Central Florida had the crossover gaskets. I didn't have to overnight parts from Japan, but it was close. While we were in there, we did an EGR delete, with an LS1 blockoff kit that was "Mildly altered" to fit the 1UZ.

The car sat for a couple weeks out of aggrivation/competing in a Road Rally, we got back to work. Finished slamming it together, and after hot wiring the fuel pump, hacking off the factory mufflers, and running some exhaust pipe out from under it out and finding the best exhaust tip that the local Orileys had for it!

The car has had a Corbeau FX1 Pro put in on a Corbeau bracket. Which fit 75% of the factory bolts, but hey, we have to drill holes into the floor for the harnesses, what's a seat bolt too?

Yesterday, we were finally able to out the car on the ground, and drive it around.... So naturally, the first thing we did was a decent burnout, which was fine, up until it wasn't... Apparently the coolant reservior cap and some hose clamps on heater hoses are important, and we're missed in the reassembly. Oops!

Right now, it's in the garage, on stands, and we need to work on the suspension and brakes... And maybe a set of tires.

Old 02-26-18, 04:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Good luck, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. The LS400s have an interesting Lemons history.

https://jalopnik.com/5068112/advance...oval-challenge
Old 02-26-18, 04:57 PM
FIMS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am well aware of how dumb this is. We already have a second drivetrain on stand by in the event that this 208k mile mill decides to splatter itself at CMP. We are going with a remote mount trans cooler and completely gutting the front end of the car for maximum air-flow into the engine bay.