Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Old 06-13-19, 12:32 PM
MNtyler
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love to see the progress man, nice work not rushing it and hacking the car apart! Do you have a youtube link for the exhuast note?!
Old 06-13-19, 01:06 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,196 Likes on 830 Posts

Thank you sir! I very much appreciate it. I have yet to take a video of it, but can certainly try soon. The muffler and turn down really helped tone down that mid range rasp. Loving how it sounds so far. Just ordered up some rails for the Bride's so I'll post pictures once I get them installed.
The following users liked this post:
MNtyler (06-13-19)
Old 07-01-19, 06:35 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Threw the Brides in this weekend. I used Planted seat rails which not only fit nicely, but also allowed for the use of the stock seat belts. I didn't want to use a harness bar and harnesses because this car gets driven to work more than it does to the track. However, I love the look and feel of the seats. They're a little tight in the bottom bolsters on my hips. Hoping that they loosen up over a few months and break in. If not, I figure I can easily trade them locally for something wider. It feels great to rip a donut and not get flung into the other side of the car lol.

The following users liked this post:
MNtyler (07-02-19)
Old 07-18-19, 12:51 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Anybody interested in trading seats?

Unfortunately the Ergo II's are a little bit too tight for me and don't quite sit as low as I'd like... I still have my OEM's, but I love having a more aggressive seat in the car. I'm open to older seats, but need something wider for my 34/35" waist. I'd be interested in most brands, but would like something in decent condition. If you're interested let me know!

Otherwise, no new updates here. Got a new job and haven't had a chance to get the car to the track this year. They only do open lapping days for cars on Friday's, so I gotta plan a "sick day" soon to go out and beat this thing up! Been cruising it to work every day in 100 degree heat. It doesn't overheat, and has colder AC than my 10 year old newer Tacoma!
Old 11-18-19, 06:36 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Spent all day Saturday with some friends out at High Plains Raceway out in Byers, Co. My brother and I hot lapped the car consistently for 20-30mins at a time without a single hiccup. The 2-way limited slip really changes the driving characteristics in such a positive way. For being a heavy, underpowered car on cheap tires we were able to outrun new body style WRX's, E36 M3's, etc pretty consistently (I admittingly have the unfair advantage of having been to this track 6-7 times already and know it quite well). The 2-way not only gives extra grip and control coming out of corners, but what I noticed the most was how the car behaved hard on the brakes coming into corners. When the diff locks on decel it can throw the *** end of the car out a little, however, if you're prepared for it not only does it allow the car to rotate much better around the corner, it also allows you to "trail brake" with a mild slide into corners which is oh-so-satisfying. Pictured with me is my friend's out of this world track-prepped early Mustang with a small block, 5-speed, big Wilwoods, cage, etc.

Had a great day and I can't speak highly enough about how reliable and awesome these cars truly are. Even in a setting they were hardly meant for.

I do have a big surprise that I'd like to get more info on... I've purchased another SC (which I'll post pictures of) with a 2jzgte motor and w58. It's a beater, but the engine is very nice and the swap was done well. I'm going to swap the motor into my car, along with the front mount, the 4-pot breaks on the front which I've yet to identify for sure, etc etc. Is there anyone who has done a GTE swap in their car that I could send a PM to ask a few questions?
Old 11-18-19, 11:38 PM
Bempa
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting to hear both about outdriving WRX´s and also on the behaviour with the new diff. Do you have any incar film from the driving. It would be really interesteing to see the car in action. And I love the choice of an SC as a track weapon, so unexpected car to see on a track
Old 11-19-19, 06:30 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Thank you!! I've never taken a go-pro or anything with me... It would be fun to have some footage and be able to watch in order to further improve. After the swap, the car is really going to need some stickier tires as the burners I normally run are holding me back the most, followed by larger more resilient brakes. I love being out at the track in an SC - I'm yet to see another out there!
Old 11-22-19, 07:17 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Well, gentlemen, I've made a plunge and there's no looking back now. I recently purchased another '92 SC300 with a 2jzgte motor (vvti - assumingly aristo?), 5-speed, etc etc. In essence, I bought this simply for the power plant. The chassis has almost 300k miles, a beat up interior, and is generally pretty haggard. However, the engine seems to run well, the swap appears to have been done nicely, but the clutch is toast. I have driven it and although it purrs right along, I can't tell how it runs under boost since the clutch slips almost immediately. I'm extremely excited, got a great deal, and couldn't pass up the opportunity to have a legendary power plant in my SC.

Since my red SC3 is in better condition and has half the miles on the chassis, I'm planning on swapping the following from the green car to the red car:
-2jzgte engine (running on a stock ECU currently)
-FMIC
-Aluminum radiator
-Fuel pump
-LS400 4-pot front brakes
-Maybe coilovers (I haven't identified what they are just yet)
-Any other parts needed to get it up and running in my car.

What I'll have leftover:
-An extra SC300 rolling shell w/brakes/suspension/diff/etc etc
-An extra W58
-My old 150k mile 2jzge in excellent running condition

I'm not sure if I'll go through the hassle of installing my old motor into this car, however, I'm either going to try and do that or simply part it out. If anyone local is interested in a "build your own SC" project, I'll make a killer deal to anyone willing to install the motor themselves and they can have a sweet little beater to cruise round in.

Now for the pics:

I'm assuming it's JDM motor with ceramic turbos - they sound great and don't seem to have any issues. I'm going to take my time, get everything inspected/swapped, and keep the boost level stock for next year while I sort out any issues and get everything dialed in/reliable enough to take it to the track and cruise around town.

Thanks for reading,
Rudy
The following 4 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Bempa (11-24-19), maclem8223 (11-22-19), mrmj2u (11-29-19), scsexy (11-30-19)
Old 11-23-19, 12:53 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

great build!

i like aour idea with the red seats. i had red sparco milanos, but sold it...

the 2-way works good? i was one time on a track with a TRD 2-way in my SC4 MT. very very funny for drifting and high grip on street!
Old 11-29-19, 12:26 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Bro you could put everything in the green car and even with 300k sell it for 2-3k+ cuz its a manual if u get it with no check engine lights and working well... get some of ur money back.

I did something very similar but with an auto car good low mileage engine originally and bought a 5 speed with a blown motor. I swapped the good motor and rebuilt the blown one put it in the auto car and sold it for 2k getting all my money back for the 5speed car(1100) and the rebuild stuff. I also kinda took the best interior and make it one in the car i was keeping.

Last edited by scsexy; 11-30-19 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 07:15 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Thanks for the input you guys! Boergy - the 2-way is out of this world. It's by far the best money I've invested in this car so far!

scsexy - yes sir, that's the plan! I'll more than likely be posting it for sale sometime after Christmas/New Year if anyone is interested. I'd let it all go for a great price, and you'll have a "build your own" SC kit lol.

I've got the front 4-pots installed with the larger rotors and they look terrific behind the RPF1's. I can tell the master isn't perfectly sized because the pedal feel is a tad softer. However, I'm hoping that with a nice set of pads the larger caliper/rotors will provide more bite and less fade when I hit the track next year. As I swapped breaks, I noticed that the green donor car I purchase also has a set of Powered by Max coil overs. HUGE score - I'll be swapping those as well before getting started on the motor swap.

I love seeing the two cars in the garage and wish that I could keep them both! However, I'll end up with a killer SC and hopefully can pass on a decent roller SC, 2jzge, 5-speed, etc to someone that wants to have some fun. I installed my garage heater recently so I should be starting more work here within the next few weeks and will be sure to post updates.

New 4-pots and rotors installed

Garage heater

Stock slotted rotors on the left, larger rotors on the right.

Thanks for reading! If you find yourself interested in the complete green SC roller, my old 2jzge, w58, etc, please DM me. I'm willing to pass on an awesome deal to someone who would enjoy it.
Old 12-12-19, 07:30 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Recently installed some used Part Shop Max coilovers that I've had sitting around, which appear to be in very good condition for their age. However, my god these things ride low! I've got them almost all the way up, and the front is still lower than my old Eibachs on supra struts... I'm going to drop the front to match the rear, and let this old girl ride a little low for now. Something about SC's tucking some tire, it just gets me right in the feels. Brakes are bled and feel great. I'm fairly certain these have to be LS400 front calipers based on the fact that they bolted right on lol. If anyone knows better, please let me know. They do feel a tad soft going to the 4-pots, but I'm hoping the trade off is worth it for more stopping power and less brake fade on track days.

Hoping to start pulling to GTE motor out of the parts car here soon... The weather is iffy here lately and despite having the garage, I'd like to wait until a half nice day so that I can have the car half in half out lol. Thanks for reading!
Old 12-16-19, 06:30 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Recently installed some used Part Shop Max coilovers that I've had sitting around, which appear to be in very good condition for their age. However, my god these things ride low! I've got them almost all the way up, and the front is still lower than my old Eibachs on supra struts... I'm going to drop the front to match the rear, and let this old girl ride a little low for now. Something about SC's tucking some tire, it just gets me right in the feels. Brakes are bled and feel great. I'm fairly certain these have to be LS400 front calipers based on the fact that they bolted right on lol. If anyone knows better, please let me know. They do feel a tad soft going to the 4-pots, but I'm hoping the trade off is worth it for more stopping power and less brake fade on track days.

Hoping to start pulling to GTE motor out of the parts car here soon... The weather is iffy here lately and despite having the garage, I'd like to wait until a half nice day so that I can have the car half in half out lol. Thanks for reading!
Those appear to be LS calipers. You shouldn't have a soft pedal at all. Either you haven't got all the air out or they were bolted on without grinding the small divet needed to bolt on square to the SC bracket. When they aren't flush on the bracket you can get some pad knock back.
Old 12-16-19, 08:24 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Rodger,

Thank you for the heads up sir! I haven't felt any pad knockback, and I didn't notice any modifications to the car I pulled them from, however, I definitely did not smooth any divets on my caliper mounts. I'll check my brackets and make sure that gets done ASAP. They should be bled well but will re-bleed to be safe.

Finally took the time to dial in the coilovers. Ride height, spring tension, and dampener settings all dialed in for street driving. I'll have to re-adjust before a track day next year but I'm extremely pleased with how the car looks and rides around town. I've never had nice coilovers before, so these used Powered By Max units were a huge score for me. Big upgrade from the Eibachs - love the lower look and the ride is quite nice.

Thanks for reading!

Old 12-16-19, 04:47 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 156 Posts

Looking good my man, jealous on the turbo car. It should be killer.

Check your dm tonight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior