Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Old 05-14-18, 02:24 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

This is why I have quit running drilled or slotted rotors on the race car. This is the 3rd one to do this. These were StopTech’s so for sure never again on those. Plus I have sent them pics asking whats the deal, no response.

StopTech rotor
Old 05-14-18, 08:28 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Rodger - ouch!! I've always heard of such things but yet to experience a crack like this myself. Although this car sees local road courses, I'd imagine it doesn't get anywhere near the abuse that yours gets put through come race time. However, I'll be sure to keep a close eye on each rotor before heading back out for hot laps.
Old 05-17-18, 09:55 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Rodger - ouch!! I've always heard of such things but yet to experience a crack like this myself. Although this car sees local road courses, I'd imagine it doesn't get anywhere near the abuse that yours gets put through come race time. However, I'll be sure to keep a close eye on each rotor before heading back out for hot laps.
Definitely inspect rotors before every track event. The pic doesn't do it justice either, there were 3 cracks like that in the same rotor. Crappy StopTech junk. Scary stuff, if it explodes, which they will do, no brakes. As the saying goes, Braking is mandatory, everything else is optional. Unless you have ever experienced total brake failure, that saying just won't hit home. Happened twice to me, never again I hope.

Last edited by RXRodger; 05-18-18 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-18-18, 06:37 AM
ShaWTiMe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car and build.
I have my Kaaz 2 way LSD also, dropped it off yesterday at my brothers shop.

Question, was there any difficulty in getting the correct shim?
Or did the shop take care of that?
Old 05-18-18, 10:33 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Definitely inspect rotors before every track event. The pic doesn't do it justice either, there were 3 cracks like that in the same rotor. Crappy StopTech junk. Scary stuff, if it explodes, which they will do, no brakes. As the saying goes, Braking is mandatory, everything else is optional. Unless you have ever experienced total brake failure, that saying just won't hit home. Happened twice to me, never again I hope.
I'll certainly keep this in mind Rodger. I've never had a complete brake failure and pray that I don't experience it any time soon (or ever for that matter).
Old 05-18-18, 10:34 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShaWTiMe
Beautiful car and build.
I have my Kaaz 2 way LSD also, dropped it off yesterday at my brothers shop.

Question, was there any difficulty in getting the correct shim?
Or did the shop take care of that?
Thank you for the compliment! Great choice, I'm thoroughly enjoying having an LSD in this thing finally. As for the shim, the KAAZ unit is manufactured with a tight enough tolerance that my diff did not need any additional shims added (even at 145k miles it looks brand new inside). However, if that isn't the case with your car for whatever reason, the shop will be able to tell when checking the backlash. If a shim(s) is needed, they should be able to source one from a gear and axle shop.
Old 05-20-18, 07:37 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
That is nuts, I have had complete brake failure and it is not fun.
You said you have had other brands fail on you, do you remember which ones.

The only slotted rotors I have had success with are Brembo. Yes they are a little bit of $$ but more confidence in them. I tried a set of generics after I wore through the Brembos and they were no where near the same.
Old 05-21-18, 07:51 AM
ShaWTiMe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the compliment! Great choice, I'm thoroughly enjoying having an LSD in this thing finally. As for the shim, the KAAZ unit is manufactured with a tight enough tolerance that my diff did not need any additional shims added (even at 145k miles it looks brand new inside). However, if that isn't the case with your car for whatever reason, the shop will be able to tell when checking the backlash. If a shim(s) is needed, they should be able to source one from a gear and axle shop.
Thanks man good to know.
I am excited to have an LSD as well. I autocross my car and do not benefit from my current open diff.

Mech Engineer here as well. I've had my SC for over 7 years but have finally started modding it in the past 8 months.
TT swap is in the plans around March next year. But wanted an LSD first, otherwise can't use that horsepower.

Whats next on the mod list for you?

Last edited by ShaWTiMe; 05-21-18 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 08:41 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShaWTiMe
Thanks man good to know.
I am excited to have an LSD as well. I autocross my car and do not benefit from my current open diff.

Mech Engineer here as well. I've had my SC for over 7 years but have finally started modding it in the past 8 months.
TT swap is in the plans around March next year. But wanted an LSD first, otherwise can use that horsepower.

Whats next on the mod list for you?
Cool to see another M.E. hanging out on the forums! As for the LSD, you'll be ecstatic. Worth every penny thus far.

Next... We shall see. I wouldn't mind lightening it up a little bit, throwing some seats in, cleaning up the exterior some, and then debating on starting to save for NA-T or throwing some BC cams in and just enjoying it as is. Love the sounds of the TT swap as well, but this thing is such a good runner I hate to get rid of the perfectly good engine sitting in it as is.
Old 05-23-18, 05:56 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Cool to see another M.E. hanging out on the forums! .
Dayyyyum, that makes 3 of us! Class of 1986, PE since 91.
Old 05-24-18, 04:59 AM
MLeopard
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Four and I think Halon is too.
Old 05-24-18, 10:37 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Very cool! I'm yet to pursue an ME as I've fallen into a head of maintenance job at Stranahan's Whiskey that I've grown quite fond of. Regardless, proud to have the degree and it's cool to see a few others here creeping on the forums!
Old 08-20-18, 10:59 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Had an excellent weekend out at High Plains Raceway in Byers CO. Got to drive on a wet and dry track, during the day, and at night. The new ACT clutch and KAAZ 2-way differential both performed beautifully, and for a 27 year old (HEAVY) car I couldn't be happier with how it performed. This weekend she'll get a full fluid flush and hopefully be able to make it back out before the seasons change too much out here.

Old 08-22-18, 06:38 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Great looking SC! Do you find much chattering with the Kaaz?
Old 08-22-18, 07:29 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Check out those Colorado clouds, awesome. Looks like a fun day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior