Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

The "2JZX" Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 03:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would think that most of it is pretty reversible. I looked up some swaps and seems you have to modify the front crossmember.
looks the same for a rb swap also using a front sump, these guys mod the crossmember for that.
https://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_300zx+RB+SWAP

The front cross member is swappable, so you could get a spare and do something similar.
It would require disassembly which is a fair amount of work but the chassis itself would be fine.

I wonder if its possible to make a custom pan and pickup instead, but I haven't seen what it looks like dropped in.
The Vg is a good engine and can handle the power, its just rather large and there is 2 of everything which makes a nice single turbo more challenging.
Old 06-12-18, 09:07 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I would think that most of it is pretty reversible. I looked up some swaps and seems you have to modify the front crossmember.
looks the same for a rb swap also using a front sump, these guys mod the crossmember for that.
https://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_300zx+RB+SWAP

The front cross member is swappable, so you could get a spare and do something similar.
It would require disassembly which is a fair amount of work but the chassis itself would be fine.

I wonder if its possible to make a custom pan and pickup instead, but I haven't seen what it looks like dropped in.
The Vg is a good engine and can handle the power, its just rather large and there is 2 of everything which makes a nice single turbo more challenging.
Oh believe me, I have researched the MANY swaps for the Z32! Here is quick and dirty breakdown of the options:

RB Swaps:
==========
McKinney's kit is exclusively for the RB's, and although they don't mention it on their site, their kit doesn't clear the hood. In other words, you need to take a 2in x 12in section of the hood support (under the hood) off to clear the front valve covers of the RB. A few guys have done this swap successfully, however, they have had to add half inch spacers between the front cross member and the chassis. From what ive been told, this is not recommended as it can throw the balance of the car off. Guys who have done it, swear it has no ill effects on the car.

CXRacing actually makes a RB25DET swap kit for the Z32, however, after talking to them they confirmed that tunnel clearance and modification will need to be done....not major, but still the tunnel near the firewall needs a little "persuasion."

Great thing about the RB's....they all bolt right up to the Z32 5spd trans with just an OEM bellhousing swap....so, from the bellhousing back nothing changes...love Nissan for this.

LS Series of motors:
================
LOJ Conversions makes fantastic kits for the LS in a Z32. The LS fits remarkably well in a Z32 with little modifications required. So what's the problem??? Where do you put turbos after the engine is in there??? No room at all when the motor is in....basically, a V8 version of the VG motor, only lighter and more powerful. Really thought about this one....but, I need boost.

SR20DET:
========
Mazworks has a kit I believe that is just a partial bell housing adapter and motor mounts. By far the smallest motor, providing the most clearance in the Z32 engine bay. Guys who have done this swap have recorded over a foot of clearance from the front of the SR motor to the back of the front core support. ALOT of room with an SR. However, you need to build the crap out of that motor to get the Z to scoot along nicely. The SR motor needs to be built at least 500whp to be worth swapping.

VH Series of motors:
================
VHPerformance makes a ton of gear for this platform in a Z32. Great platform for boosting....considering its a V8. Sits well in the Z32 engine bay with very little modifications if any at all (if using the oem spider manifold). Not a whole lot of performance parts as it wasn't really popular, but is gaining alot of traction in the aftermarket. Same issue as the LS's....once it's in...you have very little room for turbos or go fast goodies.

VG30DE/TT:
==========
By far the easiest swap of all above, with ZERO modifications....true plug and play. Z32's in general are like 90% the same across the board....the differences really being cylinder head porting for the TT's, high compression pistons for the NA's (good thing), and lower ratio diffs for the TT's (most guys swap for the NA 4.0+ diffs for super fast take offs....plus, very little is actually affected at top speed). Fully built, these motors are VERY reliable and can handle ALOT of boost. More and more 1000HP VG's are popping up as tuners figure out their sweet spots. I am not a HUGE fan of this motor, and would prefer an inline type in general for accessibility, but it is proven and NOTHING needs modifying.

JZ Series of motors:
================
Freed Engineering makes motor mounts and transmission supports for this swap. It's been done plenty of times to know it works, and works VERY VERY well. Guys who have swapped a JZ engine have said they wouldn't put anything else in their Z's.....except an RB (no joke, they all say it). This is probably the most modification-heavy swap of them all. Crossmember, hood, and firewall/tunnel need persuasion.

Here is my buddy Ben's 1.5JZ in Arizona. I was visiting recently, and stopped by to see it....he did a great job, but he's also had to "persuade" the tunnel to clear the CD009 he had previously, and the new T56 Magum he has in it now. He also cut his radiator support to clear the air-to-water intercooler, however, it wasn't necessary....just easier access to maintain the piping. He is at 1200HP, and his car is an absolute rocket! He has been a great resource, and he too picked up his car as a clean original example....but his goals were to make a non-daily (although he did say it has very good street manners as a daily) so he didn't care too much about preserving it's chassis.

I knew what was involved in the JZ swap before I got the car, but the more I look at how clean the body is on this car, the more I feel like I would be destroying a nice piece of automotive history. I don't mind swapping the VG, but I really want to avoid bashing in any panels to clear any motor. Still thinking heavily about what the next steps will be....decisions decisions.

Sorry this was not suppose to turn into a long post...lol.

Last edited by LexIS007; 06-13-18 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 10:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I thought they made an adapater to bolt the 2jz up to the nissan 5 speed? It might be the same/similar as the cd009 adapter.
The cd009 bell is huge, but even with the smaller trans it probably still needs some persuasion when looking on how far that motor sits back, but I think its worth the work.

Also, if you don't swap a 2jz in there, you will have to change the thread title and it wont have any toyota parts lol.
Old 06-14-18, 12:16 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I thought they made an adapater to bolt the 2jz up to the nissan 5 speed? It might be the same/similar as the cd009 adapter.
The cd009 bell is huge, but even with the smaller trans it probably still needs some persuasion when looking on how far that motor sits back, but I think its worth the work.

Also, if you don't swap a 2jz in there, you will have to change the thread title and it wont have any toyota parts lol.
Ali, they do make an adapter....it's from Collins. The adapter is not the problem, it's like you said how far back the engine sits. There may be a way to do this, but it will take ALOT of time and fabwork. I was thinking of keeping the current transmission position, and working off of those dimensions. I would need to install/remove/install/remove/etc... to get this absolutely on point. Plus, will definitely need cutting of the oem hood underside.
Old 06-18-18, 07:08 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Discussing the 2JZ swap with Joel Grannas (Grannas Racing)....stayed tuned. There may be hope for this swap afterall.
Old 06-22-18, 11:24 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

The 2JZ swap continues....picked up a clean Z32 front crossmember to cut and mock up. Also ordering the Freed Engineering mounts, and Collins adapter for the Z32 5spd.

Old 08-02-18, 06:13 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Some JDM goodies arrived today...

Old 10-22-18, 11:27 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

It was a tough decision, but I sold the Z.

Someone offered me a price I could not refuse....and so I took it. One of the best investment I have ever made. The sale of my Nissan 300ZX just helped add to the down payment of my future Nissan GTR.

I still have the 2JZ, and will maybe look for another project car to put it in, not sure yet. I will post pics of the new car when it's home.
Old 10-22-18, 11:42 AM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang! I was really looking forward to seeing this finished... But now it sounds to me like you need to pick up an SC300 to pop that 2J into
Old 10-22-18, 12:19 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AkumaUCF10
Dang! I was really looking forward to seeing this finished... But now it sounds to me like you need to pick up an SC300 to pop that 2J into
Yeah, alot of folks were waiting to see the swap. The sale of the Z just put me in a position to buy a 2015-2017 pre-owned GTR. So, I am going to focus on that purchase for now...however, if I don't sell the 2JZ, then ill keep it around for either an SC300 or IS300.
Old 10-22-18, 12:22 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I definitely understand. A 2015-2017 GTR is one heck of a car man. Even though I'm a Toyota or die kind of guy I would 100% drive one of those haha
Old 10-23-18, 07:06 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Sorry to hear this project won't go through but with an offer like that and a long term goal of owning an R35 I think you made a great choice. Just do your research on the GTR's BorgWarner DCT transmission and make sure the previous owner took care of it

Since you have already come so far with your 2JZ turbo engine build you could still find a good home for it in another interesting chassis when you're ready. There are so many options.

When you've locked in your GTR I hope you'll give us a peek here in your thread!

By the way, I think I've seen you on the MKV forums. You've no interest in the MKV in a year?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-23-18 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 07:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Get a 6spd Supra instead of the GTR. Will keep its value alot better than a GTR if that's what you're into. Plus alot more fun to drive on the street.
Old 10-23-18, 10:09 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Though I also like R35's for different reasons and love what they do exceedingly well as track machines, on both counts mentioned above (the value holding and real world fun-to-drive factor) I agree.
Old 10-24-18, 06:29 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Sad to see this project end... However, congratulations on making a few bucks off of it. That's a rare thing in the life of a car nerd! Excited to see what you come up with.

Quick Reply: The "2JZX" Project