Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

The "2JZX" Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 09:28 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mteele
You didn’t have them line bore the block after installing ARP main studs? I believe that’s a requirement when changing to those
Not a requirement....it's only "required" if the bore is out of round after torquing the main caps down. In my case (and most 2JZ's) there is almost no change in shape of the main bores when you use ARP studs....this was confirmed by the machine shop after they torqued the caps down and gauged the bores.

It is required to bore and hone the main journals when you get aftermarket caps (i.e., Titan billet mains, etc...).
Old 02-07-18, 09:29 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Farhan
Nice progress on your build!
Thanks Farhan!
Old 02-09-18, 01:13 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

The first bits of my Radium Engineering fuel system just arrived....props to the UPS guy for delivering in this nasty Chicago weather.

Old 02-25-18, 01:11 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

While I wait for some new parts for the Z, I decided to rebuild the 2JZ power-steering pump. The seals, o-rings, gaskets, and bearings ran me about $70. It was a pain doing this...but I learned alot in the process. More on the project to come soon as parts arrive.

Painted rear cover:

Painted front cover:

All parts taken apart to clean and replace as needed:

Reassembled:

Old 02-25-18, 01:24 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice build, I remember a few years back there was blue Z with a gte swap. He had a high cowl hood on it. Did you ever see that one?
Old 02-25-18, 01:29 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Nice build, I remember a few years back there was blue Z with a gte swap. He had a high cowl hood on it. Did you ever see that one?
Thanks Steve! I have not seen the blue Z, was the build on CL forums?...if so, I would love to look at the build. I have come across a number of Z32 owners with 2JZ swaps, and each one has a unique setup. Some run complete custom setups (i.e., mounts, etc..) while others have had luck with off the shelf kits (i.e., Collins, etc...). The biggest issue I have right now is the hood bracing may be touching the top of the front of the valve covers. I have reached out to a few body shops and they have assured me they can clearance the hood without making it look ghetto...lol.
Old 02-25-18, 01:45 PM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Thanks Steve! I have not seen the blue Z, was the build on CL forums?...if so, I would love to look at the build. I have come across a number of Z32 owners with 2JZ swaps, and each one has a unique setup. Some run complete custom setups (i.e., mounts, etc..) while others have had luck with off the shelf kits (i.e., Collins, etc...). The biggest issue I have right now is the hood bracing may be touching the top of the front of the valve covers. I have reached out to a few body shops and they have assured me they can clearance the hood without making it look ghetto...lol.
The blue Z wasn't on CL, it was a guy in NC that had one. And honestly, the hood was overkill IMO...no need, the 2jzgte will clear without any modifications to the hood. I have the build specs to the Silver 2jzgte built by Freed. I'll pm you the link, and you can see what all has been done the car. And the owner, is a serious car guy and is very helpful with answering questions.
Old 02-25-18, 02:25 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
The blue Z wasn't on CL, it was a guy in NC that had one. And honestly, the hood was overkill IMO...no need, the 2jzgte will clear without any modifications to the hood. I have the build specs to the Silver 2jzgte built by Freed. I'll pm you the link, and you can see what all has been done the car. And the owner, is a serious car guy and is very helpful with answering questions.
Thanks for the link Steve, I have actually seen Billy Freed's Z before and that one I know he has had to modify the under-hood bracing...not much, but he did have to cut a little bit to clear the top of the valve covers. Now, the blue Z I have not seen, and I would like to see what he did to make the JZ fit without cutting the hood bracing. I am working with a performance shop on the east coast that can fabricate a new cross-member for me that will basically make the cross-member sit lower without having to physically space it at the mounting points. I am still looking for options, but the cutting of the oem cross-member isn't going to allow me enough clearance.
Old 02-25-18, 02:42 PM
lilSCsteve

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Thanks for the link Steve, I have actually seen Billy Freed's Z before and that one I know he has had to modify the under-hood bracing...not much, but he did have to cut a little bit to clear the top of the valve covers. Now, the blue Z I have not seen, and I would like to see what he did to make the JZ fit without cutting the hood bracing. I am working with a performance shop on the east coast that can fabricate a new cross-member for me that will basically make the cross-member sit lower without having to physically space it at the mounting points. I am still looking for options, but the cutting of the oem cross-member isn't going to allow me enough clearance.
Right on. I use to see the guy that had the blueZ...but I think he got a GTR now? lol. Well keep us updated, definitely following.
The following users liked this post:
LexIS007 (02-25-18)
Old 02-26-18, 04:06 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Make more progress!!! This thing is gonna be sick!
Old 02-26-18, 12:49 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
Make more progress!!! This thing is gonna be sick!
Got a few nice packages arriving soon ...it's a slow process, but will be worth it in the end. Did you get the SC dyno'd yet?
Old 02-27-18, 04:51 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

The first of a "few" pieces to arrive this week....TT cluster. I am working with Brandon at BTI Innovations (gauges) to make a custom setup for this. More on that soon...

Old 03-10-18, 11:34 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Started mocking things up....still a ways to go. Waiting for powder-coated valve covers, coil pack cover, throttle body and the OEM stuff (water pump, oil pump, etc..).

Old 03-11-18, 06:36 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Great job on the block, and attention to detail!!!
LexIS007 (03-11-18)
Old 03-23-18, 07:04 AM
bboy6697
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sub'd. This thing is going to be sick. Hope to see it at Strats or Streets when its all done.
LexIS007 (03-24-18)

Quick Reply: The "2JZX" Project