Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Stickermaker's SC400

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-17, 08:02 PM
stkrmkr
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chasing codes. Moved crank and cam sensors from my spare engine to this one. Hopefully those weren't bad, and im just moving bad parts around. We'll see. There might be a timing issue as well, so the belt and water pump might be up for replacement now. I was hoping to wait until the engine gets pulled a bit further down the line, but we'll see. Bonus, better pic of the LS400 fan pulley and bracket that you need to change as part of getting rid of the hydraulic fan set up.
Old 12-02-17, 08:10 PM
stkrmkr
Driver School Candidate

A shot of where the battery used to be and the temporary placement of the WeaponR overflow bottle. Im not entirely sure if thats going to stay for the long run. Its definitely not staying there. The bottle will be getting a new bracket that relocates it next to that sides upper radiator stay and turns it so the line is a direct shot. It will also be made to be easily removed so i have access to the backs of the headlights. The positive terminal and ground are currently on the flat area where the battery used to be. Thats going to be changed with another custom plate and bracket that will mount where the overflow and wiper fluid reservoir are currently. Wont need the wiper reservoir, so thats going bye-bye. Current placement is just until i get the basic issues hammered out and then i can start on the pretty,
Old 12-04-17, 07:08 PM
stkrmkr
Driver School Candidate

So bought new distributor caps, rotors and ignition coils today. Also pulled the left cam gear off my spare engine, because apparently a tooth that sits on the outside rim was broken off, and that might be whats causing the code that's been bedeviling me and my wallet. So since that has to be changed now Im about to buy the water pump and timing belt, which I was hoping to put off until I pulled the engine a few months down the road, but you know how that goes. Bonus pic: Remote battery terminals, and some more cable clamps, because neatness matters in the long run
.Also, talked to both a fabricator of custom manifolds and a machinist for some other projects, so that should be some excitement shortly.
Old 12-11-17, 10:10 PM
stkrmkr
Driver School Candidate

So I got the water pump and timing kit today. And the hood struts came a couple days ago. Hopefully this is the last of the basic stuff that I will have to buy for a little while. I want to move on to fun stuff, like drivetrain, power, and appearance. Bonus, in my hand tiny little voltmeter that will accompany the remote battery terminals, and battery cutoff switch in a little project in the engine bay. Few weeks out for that.
Old 01-18-18, 11:50 PM
stkrmkr
Driver School Candidate

Quick update: So the timing and water pump was installed. A couple of teeth out on each side, and both distributor rotors were cracked. The engine sounded smooth and there didnt seem to be anything wrong other than that one code from the broken tooth on the cam gear. Thats 2 of 2 engines that had bad distro rotors and still ran fine. That says a bit to me about how these engines were designed.

So first time driving the car. Had the car for months and just now drove it. Rode smooth, handled nice, purred like a kitten. Definitely needs a power upgrade though. Brakes seem a little weak but I did have the brake lines replaced, so maybe they just need adjustment, plan on replacing more brake components anyways.

One thing that is bad, the aluminum coolant overflow is way too small. Cut the engine off after it gets warm and it dumps fluid. I could find a larger one, but theyd all require some sort of modification, so I need to talk to a fabricator and get a custom one made up.