Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

The Dirt Squirrel's Lady - My '93 SC400 Refurb/Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 02:19 PM
aletz12485
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local dealership tested it and turns out the alternator is dead. Ordered up a new one and picking it up tomorrow to put it on. Good news is that it passed inspection and it's now in my name.
Old 06-26-17, 04:33 AM
aletz12485
Rookie

Progress over the weekend. New alternator installed and the charging system is back to working like it should...at least i think so. Drove it to work this morning (45 miles) and it did fine. I have a pretty healthy vibration coming from the front passenger side. Feels like the tires is square sometimes. I bet its either the ****ty tire or its time for new struts. I hope to pick up some new (to me) wheels/tires tomorrow so, we will see if that clears up the vibration. Otherwise time for some new struts f/r.

Also fixed the oil leak. Turns out the pan drain plug was finger tight. That could have been bad. I changed the oil/filter and tightened it back up and no more leaks.

Found a set of supra TT sway bars front and rear on CL for what i think is a good price ($125 for both). Is this a worthwhile upgrade? As I was changing the oil, i noticed the frame mounted bushings on the passenger side are sloppy. I can move the sway bar up and down by hand. That may be the cause for the vibe. Not sure.
Old 06-27-17, 10:46 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by aletz12485
Found a set of supra TT sway bars front and rear on CL for what i think is a good price ($125 for both). Is this a worthwhile upgrade? As I was changing the oil, i noticed the frame mounted bushings on the passenger side are sloppy. I can move the sway bar up and down by hand. That may be the cause for the vibe.
You'll also need the supra subframe mounts in the rear, and those can get pricey. The mounting location of the rear supra tt bar is different from the SC. If the mounts are included, then it is definitely worth the upgrade.
Old 06-27-17, 10:58 AM
aletz12485
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
You'll also need the supra subframe mounts in the rear, and those can get pricey. The mounting location of the rear supra tt bar is different from the SC. If the mounts are included, then it is definitely worth the upgrade.
Did not know that. Thanks for the info. I dont think the subframe mounts are included.
Old 06-28-17, 08:35 AM
aletz12485
Rookie

Looks like new tires and wheels cured the nasty vibration i had in the front. Also put some 5% on the windows.

Wheels are 19x9.5 Konig Oversteers on 255/35r19s. No rubbing up front and really give it a nice look. Needs a drop of a couple inches to make it look real mean, but the plan for now is to drive and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails The Dirt Squirrel's Lady - My '93 SC400 Refurb/Build Thread-20170627_195214.jpg  
Old 06-28-17, 07:53 PM
aletz12485
Rookie

First tank resulted in 19.3 mpg. After the tuneup this weekend, I'm hoping to 20+.
Old 06-30-17, 08:56 AM
Hintonjr
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery dead again 93 SC400

Did you ever solve your battery issue? I keep having a dead battery. When the interior battery light came on, I first checked the connections, which one was lose. I tightened the clamp and the light went out and then it came back-on after a while. Next, I checked the voltage with the car running and its was 12.05 volts. As such, I went to Autzone for a new one. After installing the new alternator, my gauge indicated an output of 11.97 volts. In addition, the battery is almost new.

Before I pull the new alternator out and go back to Autozone, does anyone know of any other reason why the voltage is low?

Bob Hinton
Clayton, NC
Old 06-30-17, 11:59 AM
aletz12485
Rookie

Bob, the new alternator fixed my problem. Put about 400 miles on it this week without issues. Did you have your old alternator tested at AutoZone? My old one confirmed bad.
Old 07-05-17, 06:14 AM
aletz12485
Rookie

Mas work over the long weekend. Deleted the mufflers and welded up some new 2.25" piping to 3.5" dia rolled tips. Looks and sounds great. Just what i wanted. Not too loud at speed and it gave it a nice rumble on startup to let everyone know there isnt a 4 cylinder under the hood.

Also swapped in a new (used) factory Pioneer head unit and now i have a working stereo system. Even the CD changer works and the speakers sound great without distortion. While i had it apart, i changed out the burnt climate control backlighting with new green LEDs. I like the green, but will probably change them out for some blue to match my gauge cluster. Going to send it off to Tanin to have them rebuild it and install blue needles with bright white numbers. Should make it look more modern inside.

Went to the local junkyard as they were having a 40% off sale and picked up some interior tid bids and some '95 taillights. I wanted the 97+, but for $40 for the pair, I couldnt pass them up. Swapped them in and replaced some of the burnt bulbs with LEDs and it really cleaned up the *** end of the car. I now have a hyperblink issue (an issue from what i have read when swapping in later model tails into early SCs). Also have the "hey you have a light out" warning light on the dash now. All lights working, but im guessing its due to the LED tail lights not giving off enough juice. I will have Tanin remove this bulb and will fix the hyperblink eventually.

Performed a full tuneup with new plugs/wires/rotor & caps/etc and it really runs nice now.

New issues that keep popping up: Front end likes to wonder at 0-55mph on semi-bumpy roads. Everything looked and felt tight when i had it up in the air to put on the new wheels, but i guess something is out. With 150k on the car it could be a multitude of things wrong. UCA/LCA bushings, tierod ends, steering bushings, struts/shocks,swaybar end links, ball joints etc. Not sure where to start as replacing all will be north of $1k with all new parts (mostly Supra upgrades).
Old 07-06-17, 08:58 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by aletz12485
Mas work over the long weekend. Deleted the mufflers and welded up some new 2.25" piping to 3.5" dia rolled tips. Looks and sounds great. Just what i wanted. Not too loud at speed and it gave it a nice rumble on startup to let everyone know there isnt a 4 cylinder under the hood.

Also swapped in a new (used) factory Pioneer head unit and now i have a working stereo system. Even the CD changer works and the speakers sound great without distortion. While i had it apart, i changed out the burnt climate control backlighting with new green LEDs. I like the green, but will probably change them out for some blue to match my gauge cluster. Going to send it off to Tanin to have them rebuild it and install blue needles with bright white numbers. Should make it look more modern inside.

Went to the local junkyard as they were having a 40% off sale and picked up some interior tid bids and some '95 taillights. I wanted the 97+, but for $40 for the pair, I couldnt pass them up. Swapped them in and replaced some of the burnt bulbs with LEDs and it really cleaned up the *** end of the car. I now have a hyperblink issue (an issue from what i have read when swapping in later model tails into early SCs). Also have the "hey you have a light out" warning light on the dash now. All lights working, but im guessing its due to the LED tail lights not giving off enough juice. I will have Tanin remove this bulb and will fix the hyperblink eventually.

Performed a full tuneup with new plugs/wires/rotor & caps/etc and it really runs nice now.

New issues that keep popping up: Front end likes to wonder at 0-55mph on semi-bumpy roads. Everything looked and felt tight when i had it up in the air to put on the new wheels, but i guess something is out. With 150k on the car it could be a multitude of things wrong. UCA/LCA bushings, tierod ends, steering bushings, struts/shocks,swaybar end links, ball joints etc. Not sure where to start as replacing all will be north of $1k with all new parts (mostly Supra upgrades).

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here! We are happy to help out with the cluster. We have a coupon code valid now through July 31,2017 too that can save you 10% off cluster purchases and cluster repair purchases. Give us a call and mention code #Tanin10 when you are ready!

Thanks,
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 07-06-17, 09:16 AM
aletz12485
Rookie

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here! We are happy to help out with the cluster. We have a coupon code valid now through July 31,2017 too that can save you 10% off cluster purchases and cluster repair purchases. Give us a call and mention code #Tanin10 when you are ready!

Thanks,
whats the current lead time for a repair? My speedometer just hovers around 20mph and my rpm will only work if i slap the dash. Then it works as normal. speedomemter doesnt work at all.
Old 07-06-17, 10:15 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

The current lead time is 1-3 business days for lighting repairs. Speedo repair would make the time frame about 1-2 weeks. The tech has to go through everything and call customers about the issues and repairs and preventative repairs needed. Give our reps a call when you get a chance and we can help you out. You have options to expedite shipping too, if you need it back faster.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Last edited by TaninAuto; 07-06-17 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-06-17, 10:59 AM
aletz12485
Rookie

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
The current lead time is 1-3 business days for lighting repairs. Speedo repair would make the time frame about 1-2 weeks. The tech has to go through everything and call customers about the issues and repairs and preventative repairs needed. Give our reps a call when you get a chance and we can help you out. You have options to expedite shipping too, if you need it back faster.
Thanks for the info. Just called and talked to your sales dept. Ill get the cluster out as soon as possible and get it sent off for repair.
Old 07-10-17, 07:21 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Any chance you could repost the pictures at the beginning of the thread? Garnet pearl is gorgeous!
Old 07-10-17, 07:25 AM
aletz12485
Rookie

I will try. Photobucket went full retard and screwed everyone, so Im looking for a new photo hosting site.

Quick Reply: The Dirt Squirrel's Lady - My '93 SC400 Refurb/Build Thread