IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

needing help with a driveshaft issue please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-17, 07:38 PM
Murdatv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needing help with a driveshaft issue please?

Hi,i have a 2001 is300 i am doing a 2jzgte vvti swap in and wanted to use the stock auto that came with the Swap but the transmission looks different and the shaft is also different so my question is what combo or drive shaft doe sit take for that stock 2jzgte vvti swap to work? thnx
Old 06-05-17, 04:55 PM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Murdatv
Hi,i have a 2001 is300 i am doing a 2jzgte vvti swap in and wanted to use the stock auto that came with the Swap but the transmission looks different and the shaft is also different so my question is what combo or drive shaft doe sit take for that stock 2jzgte vvti swap to work? thnx
so in order to answer this question we gotta know some more info on your swap.

what management are you using? Aristo ecu or IS ecu? This is important.

I can tell you're using the aristo transmission the A340E/A341E transmission found with the aristo engine. This uses a 3 bolt GS flange with a rubber "Guibo". This output shaft will not work with the IS300 slip yoke driveshaft design. Also note this Guibo will hit the shifter in the trans tunnel so you'll have to space the trans cross member. look up 2jz garage about "how to make your is300 aristo powered".

The A34x trans is a 4 speed auto, and does not support the shifter buttons on the steering wheel. It's pretty strong, having just 4 gears and a 3.91 final drive when the donor car had a 3.27 final drive means less MPG during highway driving if that's important to you. Of course acceleration will be better, but I personally hate having my engine spinning 3000 RPM at 80 mph. = Aristo ECU

Now, if you were to use the factory IS300 trans the A650E has the 5th gear, but the trans is weak. installing a toyomoto shift kit will definitely help prolong the trans life, but 325hp is the power limit of that transmission. You can keep the shifter button functions, same driveshaft, you would have to switch to the IS300 torque converter and I believe the IS300 flexplate to allow use of this transmission, unless I missed something and the Is torque converter bolts up to the aristo flexplate. If using this transmission you'll need to use the is300 ecu + some type of piggy back.

If you want to use the A340 trans, you can search for an SC300 3 bolt flange many people just order the adapter from driftmotion and go to a 1 piece design. Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-17, 01:50 AM
Murdatv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanx for the reply i really appreciate it! ok so Tweak'd performance did a harness for me and told me i could use the full aristo swap including the ecu and trans that came with it so i plan on using the aristo trans that came with the swap for a few months till i get a TH400 by ATF in the winter. just noticed the trans is a bit longer and has those 3 splines instead of an input shaft like my old one and i looked under my 2004 GS300 and noticed it looked the same pretty much so was just wondering exactly how would i go about getting the drive shaft done....Should i just get a 1 piece made? or what combo is the best to work out for this application? i learned alot from your reply already so thanks and if theres any other input you have please share! Thnx for your time!
Old 06-07-17, 10:24 PM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Murdatv
Thanx for the reply i really appreciate it! ok so Tweak'd performance did a harness for me and told me i could use the full aristo swap including the ecu and trans that came with it so i plan on using the aristo trans that came with the swap for a few months till i get a TH400 by ATF in the winter. just noticed the trans is a bit longer and has those 3 splines instead of an input shaft like my old one and i looked under my 2004 GS300 and noticed it looked the same pretty much so was just wondering exactly how would i go about getting the drive shaft done....Should i just get a 1 piece made? or what combo is the best to work out for this application? i learned alot from your reply already so thanks and if theres any other input you have please share! Thnx for your time!
It will be close to the same amount either way. If you were going with the aristo trans you'll want to get the driftmotion adapter.

https://www.driftmotion.com/Diff-Ada...SC-p/dm221.htm

This will convert the 3 bolt flange to a more common (and cheaper) 1350 flange. The IS differential flange is a number

So your set up will be

[drift motion adapter] -> 1350 flange -> driveshaft -> IS300 differential. I would go with a piece personally. Driveshaftshop made mine. Took about a 1 week to get it made and shipped to me.