Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

93 SC400 Chimera

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 01:39 AM
TensorWorl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 93 SC400 Chimera

So I was perusing through Facebook Marketplace and saw not one but TWO almost running 1993 White Lexus SC400's by separate sellers for under a grand total. This seemed like just the excuse I needed to make a poor financial decision. So I picked myself up two SC's in one afternoon.

SC400 #1: The lightly used front end abuse
This SC has 120k miles. Most of the stuff rear the firewall is in pretty good shape. Original radio works, window regulators work perfect, seats recline, dash tach and speedo work, etc. Car even shifts well. Problem is the car was in a front end collision and it wasn't fixed really well and the engine runs really rich, idles poorly and revs even worse. Won't rev over probably 2k. Also looks like the engine has some vacuum hoses and other stuff not hooked up right.

SC400#2: Not so lightly used but no damage
SC has 260k miles but doesn't really show it. That is other than the fact that the trans gave out a few months ago and has acquired a misfire since then. Will still rev to redline but not quickly. Window regulators bad and drivers window is down 4 inches and I can't get it up. Also came with wider rims off a mustang.

This build thread will likely be a collection of all the things I do to try and get one really well running car and then either part out the other or let someone else have it

So far I have swapped the ECU from SC2 to SC1 with no change in the problem with SC1. I also disconnected the MAP from SC1 and it still runs just as bad. I will probably swap over plugs, wires and coil tomorrow and see what that does. Feel free to chime in or just follow along as I entertain myself trying to fix this stuff.
Old 10-29-17, 12:07 AM
stkrmkr
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did something similar recently, i purchased two of them within about a week or so. A 94 SC400 with a decent body,crappy interior, and a blown trans. And a 93 with a good trans, good interior, but that had taken a roof hit. been swapping stuff to the 94 to get one decent starting point.
Old 11-14-17, 01:21 AM
TensorWorl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I've been busy but I finally got some work done on the car and photo's. I have been able to assess each car further and SC2 is definitely the keeper. I swapped window control panel from SC1 to SC2 and the window motors are good in SC2. So I am pretty much parting out SC1 to fix SC2 and sell or have spares for other stuff. The following photos are of SC1.

Front fenders and bumper are good but the paint job is terrible on them
Front fenders and bumper are good but the paint job is terrible on them
You can see the clear damage to the front subframe that was not fixed properly.
I removed the radiator and fans, alternator, power steering pump as well as the MAF and air filter box. I checked the freon level in the AC system and it was at 30 PSI which is low but still seems to be holding pressure. So I unhooked the compressor and moved it out of the way but left it intact til I decide what to do with it. I removed the hood and took the front bumper, headlights and quarter panels off.

Next I jacked the car up and went to remove the exhaust. To my annoyance the previous owner had replaced the cats and rather than bolt up new ones they welded them in. So I got out my sawzaw and cut through the welds. Next I removed the drive shaft and unbolted the transmission mounts. At this point I supported the transmission with a jack and went back up top.

I removed a number of other parts like the horn, trans oil cooler, etc. but that's pretty much where I am at now. Plan for this week is to remove the engine mounts and get the trans/engine out. Then I will likely start stripping the interior as well as removing the diff and CV shafts. I think the plan is to use the transmission for the other car as well as swap over the quarter panels and the bumper although I will have to repaint them all. After that I will sell the engine but I don't know if I should keep the alternator, PS pump etc. as extras or sell them.