Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 3GS owner vehicles

08' GS460 Down Under , My hello and build from Australia

Old 04-23-17, 03:16 AM
MJG87
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 08' GS460 Down Under , My hello and build from Australia

Hello lads and ladies.

Thought I would be polite and introduce my car and myself here. I recently picked up an 08 GS460, very rare car here and I am stoked I got hold of one. I have been driving and modifying Jap imports since I started driving, have been through an R34 GTT, an 8th Gen Legnum VR4, and currently have an 8th Gen Galant VR4 and an Evo 7 looking for new homes after picking up the 460.

I have not driven RWD or Auto since the 34 and have never owned a V8. The 460 is a dream, quiet, comfortable, beautiful, sounds tough and has plenty of go as well. Fuel is no worse than the Twin Turbo AWD V6 Galant, and the build quality and comfort are a lifetime beyond any of my previous cars. In comparison it is super low maintenance and no fuss and it is plenty more peaceful to drive than anything else I have owned.

I am glad I can't mod it extensively but have a few things planned, mostly cosmetic, though we all know what happens once the bug bites.

Looking forward to being part.of the community, thanks for having me here. Here is a pic of the car as it is now. First step....new wheels.

Old 04-24-17, 01:14 AM
MJG87
Driver

Shopping list for the car is officially underway, but before I bore you any more, here are my other cars if you need something finished to look at.
IMGUR ALBUM - http://imgur.com/a/ofhaI - will need to find some pictures of the R34, they were mostly lost on my phone that was buried at sea.

EVO 7 - 310HP at the wheels. Great little car, set up for track use but not bad as a daily driver.
08' GS460 Down Under , My hello and build from Australia-foolrxi.jpg

8th Gen Galant VR4 - Awesome daily, 265hp at the wheels, leather, sunroof, big sound system, plenty of room, not bad on a track and great as a daily.
08' GS460 Down Under , My hello and build from Australia-dt67wxu.jpg

8th Gen Legnum VR4 - Fairly stock, auto, comfortable, practical, plenty of luggage space, amazing daily, can do a track day in a pinch.
08' GS460 Down Under , My hello and build from Australia-bitde7c.jpg

This isn't my 34 but it looked the same (without ugly wheels) Basic Mods, made 280hp at the rears, awesome daily, really beautiful car to drive, a bit small inside though, smaller than the VR4 and Evo believe it or not.

Back to the Lexus...

Shopping list so far is more a matter of comfort and preservation to start with
- Floor mats and cargo liner - DONE
- New Gear **** - COMING
- Dash Mat - COMING
- Headlight protectors - COMING
- New globes all round, indie and out (like them nice and bright) - HALFWAY THERE

Cosmetically
- Wheels (of Course) - COMING
- Weather shields (Monsoon Covers) - COMING
- Roof Spoiler - COMING
- Sunroof Shield - COMING
- Paint boot spoiler black - COMING
- Possibly debadge all round - COMING
- Looking for CF interior to replace woodgrain - COMING

Performance
- Possibly a louder exhaust, I love loud cars, this has an aftermarket already but could be louder - COMING
- May fabricate a nice alloy intake pipe - COMING
- Apexi Throttle Controller - COMING

That should keep me busy and Poor for a while and we'll see where we go from there.

Last edited by MJG87; 05-17-17 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 08:00 AM
MJG87
Driver

Rain today forced my plans back. Had time to polish the headlights quickly. Will do my spoiler black tomorrow weather permitting. Floor mats and cargo liner went in today too.

Before and after of the yellow headlights with 5 minutes of work. Pictures dont fully do it justice.

The following users liked this post:
DJtheGR8 (05-26-17)
Old 04-26-17, 11:19 PM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lookin good mate. You still hot hot weather there in Oz?
Old 04-26-17, 11:30 PM
MJG87
Driver

Always hot here mate. Im used to the old japanese headlight yellowing problem now. Going in for darkest legal tint on tuesday and I'm looking to order a good suede dashmat ASAP to help protect everything. Our sun isn't kind on cars. I spent 8 years in the far north in the 'skin cancer capital of the world' in my army days, so my cars are glad I've moved south. The red evo didn't like the weather.
Old 04-29-17, 05:00 AM
Joeyc850
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good m8
Old 04-29-17, 07:08 AM
MJG87
Driver

Thanks joey
Old 05-01-17, 08:45 PM
MJG87
Driver

Ducked down the street and got my tint done today on my morning off.
Traditionally I go 10% tint but I want to keep this car legal because I'm over the attention from police at this point in my life.
came up the goods, a bit cloudy and bubbly still but I will get some better pictures when it cures properly.

Old 05-03-17, 02:53 AM
MJG87
Driver

Got myself some better Parker Bulbs and Hi Beam Bulbs today while I was out running around.

Installation was a breeze compared to all my previous cars.

Grabbed 4000k White Hi-Beams. Couldn't find anything brighter without going blue which just makes it harder to see (and more likely to get you booked by police)

And some T10 LED wedges for the Parkers

Forget to get a picture before I wrecked the packaging.

All up cost me around $80 but its a huge improvement for night driving and they look much better. Night pics on the way.
Old 05-03-17, 03:24 AM
MJG87
Driver

One side done, Parker only Comparison, LED to the left of the Pic. Huge Improvement.

Headlights on

And Hi Beam comparison. Bit hard to photograph this way but you can see how much more light the left side is making.

I am happy with the quality of the HID (Factory bulbs I assume) so wont be changing them until they are due. May go 6000k when the time comes but they have a fantastic spread and clarity at factory spec, it would just be a little whiter, cant justify the money going 6000k now when they are fine as is.

car is in the garage getting a few more things done before bed, but I'll get some dark road pics when possible to show the ludicrous light I'm making now.
DJtheGR8 (05-26-17)
Old 05-08-17, 02:23 AM
MJG87
Driver

Had a bit of spare time today so continued with some of my LED swap mission.
Founds bulbs to fit the Reverse lights, couldn't find any for the rear fogs or any of tht indicators. Will have to order online I'm guessing.

The interior domes are fine as is and I don't think it's necessary for the footwell lighting to be any brighter, it will just annoy me while Im driving, all the other interior lights are bad enough to deal with. The door courtesy lights are LED already but I may go brighter.

I will do the Vanity light lights tomorrow and the Mirror light LED upgrade when I have a day off and thay should be everything.

Here are some pictures from today.

I found this cool little gadget at the shop and used it fir the boot light. Suoer quick and easy install, no modification to any OEM parts, no visible wires and a huge improvement over the standard boot light. Still uses the on/off switch too.
DJtheGR8 (05-26-17)
Old 05-13-17, 07:49 AM
MJG87
Driver

Took the plunge and got myself some JDM style custom plates today. Going to take 3-6 weeks until they are ready to transfer onto the car.

I'm going to have to invest in my build now, gotta match the plates.

Old 05-13-17, 09:35 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow man great pick up! Car looks wonderful! Nice to see ppl from other continents (I'm in USA) really love these Lexus cars. They really are bulletproof if you properly care for them. I recently also picked up a 06 GS430. I'm tryna do all those light mods in the front as well. Tryna change the DRLs to white 6000k and change out my headlight HID bulbs with 8000k color. I could care less about police around here ... Please post more pics man I love the way you introduced yourself and your collection!! Nice to have you here on CL, enjoy your toys, and GodBless!
Old 05-14-17, 05:39 AM
MJG87
Driver

Thanks aneidiaz. I was pretty happy to see it pop up for sale. I was looking for a new car around 6 months ago, wanted to get an LS430 but couldn't find any low mileage ones anywhere near me, I then saw the LS460 and fell in love, was pretty set on one but once again could't find any low mileage ones, and they are about $30000-$35000US used. Then I saw the GS460, I had never heard of it, a good mate of mine had an Aristo back in the day and I loved it and always wanted one but they are fairly hard to find in good condition, and they are a bit too old for me now. I looked for GS460's for almost 2 months and only ever saw 2 for sale, on the other side of the country, and they looked like they had lived hard lives. I forgot about it for a few months and moved on with life, then I hit something on the highway and busted the diff in the VR4, got the ****s, and decided it was time to look for a new car again, jumped on a classified site and saw this for sale 10 minutes from my house. Price was right, it had been for sale for 1 day, I managed to get in and see it the next morning and fell in love when I test drove it. A few other buyers had booked appointments to get in and see it but luckily I beat them to it.

DRL Change is a breeze and only cost $10 dollars, cheaper on Ebay/Amazon.The HID change is easy enough too and cheap to get bulbs online. The fogs are simple as well but I use mine for fog often so don't want them too bright as it actually makes it harder to see. I just need to do my Rear Fogs, my indicators and my Mirror Bulbs to LED for the exterior, and the vanity mirror lights inside. If you need any tips PM me, I can walk you through it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, see you around the pages.
Old 05-14-17, 08:47 AM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG87
Welcome to the forums! Did the previous owner do any mods? The quad pipes would indicate as IIRC 460 only came with dual pipes. Although it could be different as you are in AUS. Either way, congrats on the find and I am looking forward to the build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08' GS460 Down Under , My hello and build from Australia