Love the details.

-Josh
Old 05-12-17, 01:16 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Default BC Racing BR Type Coilovers + Swift Springs

May 11th, 2017

I finally got around to installing the BC Racing BR Type coilovers on Osaka today. I initially got them used from a member on here and decided to get some swift springs in the 16k Front and 12k Rear configuration since I will be driving this on the street but planning on some track duty. I've never installed suspension before so this was definitely an experience. Conceptually it was all fine but, the nuts that keep the bolts on the bottom of the strut are insanely tight.
In the interest of documenting the car the best I can, I weight the stock suspension front and rear vs. the BC's and had some great results:

Front:
Stock - 13.5 lbs
BC - 10 lbs

Rear:
Stock - 14.5 lbs
BC - 9.5 lbs

That's 17 lbs. saved just from installing the coilovers.
I still have to dial in the height and the dampening but initial impressions are good. I like the 16/12 setup as it feels pretty close to the stock springs (which are stiff) but with height adjustability.

I still have the FIGS Essential kit to install (Front LCA Bushings, Rear LCA Mega Arms, Toe Links) so excited to see if any weight can be saved there.

Okay onto pictures:

Old 05-13-17, 11:10 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Nice meeting you today! Can't wait to see what this car turns into.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-13-17, 12:36 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

May 15th 2017
Fender Roll

In order to get my car ready for my incoming wheels I knew I would have to roll the fenders based on what others have done on here. One of my friends recommended Deity Motorsports (they built that red chrome MP4-12C Spyder with the 650S conversion and Liberty Walk Body). Making an appointment with them was incredibly simple and when I arrived the team was great. James did a stellar job on my fenders and said if I had any problems in the future that I could come back. Here's some pictures of it going down:

Hovercraft!

Front Before:

Front After:

Rear Before:

Rear After:

May 22nd 2017
Headlight Clear Bra

I had just got the driver side headlight warrantied (somehow - thank you Corbin and the Newport Lexus Team, as well as Lexus USA) from the bubbling problem and was going on Targa Trophy the 27th. With that in mind I knew I had to get my headlights protected. My friends at Impressive Wrap were the natural choice. They buffed out the passenger light to be as new as the driver side before applying some Hexis film to the lights.

May 26th 2017
ZITO Wheels Installed

Today was the day. My ZITO Wheels were finally done and ready to be put on just in time for Targa the next day. I chose:
ZITO FlowForme ZF02
19x9 et25 F / 19x10 et35 R in Gloss Gunmetal
Federal 595's 245/35/19 F - 275/30/19 R.
I'll have to get pics but the weight was rather impressive. The stock 19x8.5 with 225/40/19 weighed 50.5 lbs and the 19x9.5 with 255/35/19 weighed 51 lbs. I expected these wheels to be a bit heavier considering they're flow formed whereas the BBS' are die-forged. With the wheels being .5 inches wider front and rear, as well as 20mm wider tires, the front came in at 51.5 lbs and the rear at 55 lbs. Not bad for widening the contact patch.

June 8th 2017
Tom's Rep Lip Installed

With the FSport_Society Summer Bash happening this past weekend I knew I had to update the front of the car. I'm not a fan of the Bayson R Lip nor the other offerings on eBay (time constraint). I reached out to Group A to see what they had, hoping they had a Tom's lip in stock. Low and behold they did.
Now I'm not a fan or a proponent of reps. Most people think they're getting the same product for less when most of the time that could not be farther than the truth. The realization that I drive a very low car and there's often debris on the freeways made getting a rep the natural choice since the life expectancy will probably be short.
When I picked up the lip I was able to ask them some questions and see the operation first hand. One of the largest differences between the real Tom's and their rep is it's all wet hand-laid. There's no vacuum bagging for optimization of resin throughout the part, thus leaving you with a heavier part than the original. The carbon is also hand-laid because of this. Their fitment is spot on from what I can tell and all the holes are pre-marked (they'll drill them for you if you ask) which is what really matters. So if you're getting a rep and think you're getting the same product as the original, you're not. You're getting something that looks like it, but as far as construction and process (which does matter) you're getting something different.

June 9th 2017
Painted Tom's and .5 inches lower

Considering the design of the Tom's overlaps the edges of the bumper that are the lowest part of the car, it can make the front look higher despite the part hanging low, at least for lighter cars. For me to achieve the lowest (and cleanest IMO) aesthetic, color-matching made sense. This was a contributing factor in getting a rep vs. original since I wouldn't want to paint over the crafted Tom's part.
I ventured to a paint store near me that can put automotive paint in an aerosol can and purchased the primer and clear coat to make this as best of a job as I could given my lack of experience.
Some hours later and I'm pretty satisfied with the result:

Old 06-13-17, 06:42 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damnnnnnnnn looks spot on
Old 06-18-17, 08:54 PM
kartoos100
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks really good. The pictures definitely great.

Good job.
Old 09-03-17, 10:09 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Some semi-recent pictures, I've since raised the front a bit since the rubbing on the top of the wheel well was so bad and didn't feel like cutting the metal out.

The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (09-27-17)
Old 09-04-17, 09:56 AM
808newbie
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice ISF w/sunroof delete!!!

nice drop and painted toms. how much did you end up raising it?
Old 09-04-17, 12:59 PM
Wams200T
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sweet ride.....
Old 09-06-17, 03:16 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Thanks man! I ended up raising it about .5 inches. I have some pictures I'll be uploading soon to show. It's still low but now instead of raked it looks more level.

Originally Posted by 808newbie
Nice ISF w/sunroof delete!!!

nice drop and painted toms. how much did you end up raising it?
Thank you !

Originally Posted by Wams200T
sweet ride.....
Old 09-06-17, 03:29 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Talking

September 6th, 2017
HPS Intake Elbow Dyno / HPS Intake Elbow + aFe Oil Filter Dyno

I met up with Josh from Meraki Autoworks back in May to get the second piece of my intake setup: the aFe Oiled Filter.

I've been slacking since then but finally found the time to get the car dyno'd with just the intake elbow, and then with the filter as well. I wanted to do this since information is scattered and seemingly inconsistent on the forum. I was able to add 13 whp and 13 tq. with the HPS Intake Elbow and aFe Oiled Filter!
370 whp and 354 wtq to 383 whp and 367 wtq!
Red is the baseline.
Blue is just the HPS Elbow
Green is the HPS + aFe.
Dyno'd at EAS on their Dynojet. Same wheels, same gas. Baseline was done around 85 degrees F. Intake dyno was done between 88-90 degrees F. Most variables are out of the way so these numbers are as accurate as they can be.

STD

SAE

EAS was kind enough to show me other IS-F dyno runs to look at and compare to my own. I'm putting up the SAE for those who are saying that's the standard. Supposedly with BMW STD is what everyone seems to use on the forums according to Steve. Either way the gains are there!
Old 09-06-17, 10:13 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

If Steve showed you other ISF dyno graphs.. That means you saw my 400 whp+ & the other 10 local ISF members

Join the header game! (Great power on current mods though..)

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-07-17, 01:51 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Didn't see your dyno but I'll definitely ask him to show me it when I go back! Exhaust is next then saving headers for last

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
If Steve showed you other ISF dyno graphs.. That means you saw my 400 whp+ & the other 10 local ISF members

Join the header game! (Great power on current mods though..)

-Josh
Old 09-07-17, 05:36 PM
Magnaflow
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Very tastefully done, John! We love the subtle looks of it right now with wheels and a proper lower. Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: Project Osaka: 12' SFP on Red