Project Osaka: 12' SFP on Red

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 11:38 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

January 14th, 2019
FIGS Engineering 19mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar + Sway Bar Links

I've had the FIGS Engineering Rear Sway bar sitting around for a while now and have been lagging on installing it since I still have the Mega Arms and Toe Arms to install. I thought it was finally time to put it on considering I have the front and rear strut bars in and my car could benefit from the bigger rear sway.
Build quality and finish on the parts are what you'd expect from FIGS, top notch and attention to detail was given. I ran into an issue when installed the links as the OEM lower control arm was a bit too narrow for the FIGS links. Mike responded promptly to me saying I should loosen the shock bolt and it would slide right in. Low and behold it went in easy after that.
After driving on it for a bit and taking some spirited corners and onramps at speed, the handling is much more responsive from front to rear ( I have it on the "stiffest" setting ).
Power may be an important aspect of the IS-F, but I've had much more joy out of this car from making it handle better, and all the FIGS products do exactly that.

January 24th, 2019
IS-F CCS-R Titanium Exhaust Acquired

I'm still in a bit of disbelief over this and most likely it will remain this way ( I still haven't gotten over getting the CCS-P Parts ) but, I was able to acquire the titanium exhaust off one of the CCS-R's with the help of SuperFastCarBlanco.
I'll be putting this on soon and re-weighing the Borla (didn't do it accurately like this) but my scale has the system at 35 lbs. total, with section 1 being stainless and 2 + 3 being titanium. As you can see the design is similar to what you would find on an RC-F so there is another bracket provided.

Last edited by JohnMorgan; 01-24-19 at 11:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Defratos (01-25-19)
Old 01-25-19, 12:10 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Exhaust looks sweet
Old 01-25-19, 10:55 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Defratos
Exhaust looks sweet
Hoping it sounds sweet!
Old 01-26-19, 06:47 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Congrats, wow!!!!

This needs to be shipped to FIGS and reproduced for all of us :-)))
Old 01-26-19, 07:16 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rossi
Congrats, wow!!!!

This needs to be shipped to FIGS and reproduced for all of us :-)))
It’s going on tomorrow. I’ll have sound clips next week and will get on the dyno in the next couple weeks to see what kind of gains we’re looking at.
Certainly could have it reproduced with enough interest but just like anything you have to pay to play $$$ 😭
Old 01-28-19, 02:56 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Where do you go to get all your work done? Or do you do them yourself?
Old 01-28-19, 03:03 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cvt
Where do you go to get all your work done? Or do you do them yourself?
Do you mean work done as working on my car? I try to do as much maintenance myself that I’m comfortable with / that one person can do. If something will require a lift or two people I have a friend with a shop in Laguna Beach (Canyon) that I go to now.
Old 02-14-19, 12:49 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

January 27th, 2019

Brake Fluid and Differential Oil Service

I opted for the Motul RBF660 DOT 4 Fluid since I intend to do some events this year, and also went with Motul's Gear 300 LS Oil.
Driving impressions soon after are all positive. Brakes feel as they should (I haven't used them hard enough, long enough to feel the benefit of the DOT 4) but the differential was a night and day improvement. Significantly smoother, better fuel economy on the highway, felt more responsive when turning. This is probably due to the metal floating around in the old oil and the magnetic drain plug shows it.
Also, the exhaust was removed since we were going to put on the CCS-R exhaust, which it turned out a custom left mid pipe needed to made to go around the factory fuel tank.

Last edited by JohnMorgan; 02-14-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 02:23 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

January 28th, 2019

CCS-R Titanium Race Exhaust Installed

While doing the brake fluid and differential oil service we tried to put the CCS-R exhaust on, only to find out that the CCS-R runs a fuel cell in the trunk and deletes the factory fuel tank so they can run a symmetrical true dual setup.
Fortunately I was able to schedule a short notice install in Cypress for a custom mid pipe to fit the system.
As you can see it is a dual equal length setup with a crossover early in the first section of the exhaust. Section 1 is stainless steel and the rest is titanium, a total weight of 35 pounds, 36 pounds less than the factory system. One thing to note is TRD opted for dual 3" piping instead of 2.5".

Borla:

CCS-R:

The sound clip:

Some composite pictures I took now that it's on:

Old 02-14-19, 02:42 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

February 13th, 2019

Lexus F-Sport Rear Underbody Chassis Brace

I had this brace on my IS250 6MT and unfortunately sold it with the car. When I did have the 250, this was arguably one of my favorite mods for it since it significantly tightened up the rear. I know this for a fact since I have to go sideways into my driveway and 3-wheel sometimes. Without the brace the body would creak and I could tell the suspension was under load. With the brace, no more creaks and the wheel lifts quickly and the suspension compresses smoother.
When driving with it, one thing I noticed is the rear "follows" much faster. You can tell where the rear wheels are much easier and the car feels more connected to you.
Believe it or not the aero panels still go on, you just lose 3 small plastic screw clips on each panel but, there are still 4 major screw / clips that are used to keep them on.
The panels require some chopping (I have more to do) to get them flat but nothing crazy.
I was able to pick the brace up off someone who didn't know what they had. Despite the rough shape, it was nothing a quick paint job couldn't fix. I went with flat black to keep it more subtle. If I refinish it in the future I'll probably powder coat it orange.
Interestingly enough it was a net gain of only 6 lbs. despite being a much more intricate piece than the 3 stamped steel pieces it replaces.

Before:

After:

Decently heavy for 3 small steel pieces.

Last edited by JohnMorgan; 02-14-19 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 02:52 PM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
January 27th, 2019

Brake Fluid and Differential Oil Service

I opted for the Motul RBF660 DOT 4 Fluid since I intend to do some events this year, and also went with Motul's Gear 300 LS Oil.
Driving impressions soon after are all positive. Brakes feel as they should (I haven't used them hard enough, long enough to feel the benefit of the DOT 4) but the differential was a night and day improvement. Significantly smoother, better fuel economy on the highway, felt more responsive when turning. This is probably due to the metal floating around in the old oil and the magnetic drain plug shows it.
Also, the exhaust was removed since we were going to put on the CCS-R exhaust, which it turned out a custom left mid pipe needed to made to go around the factory fuel tank.
I don't think the Torsen rear diff in the '12 needs the LS additive since it is full mechanical.
I use the regular Gear 300 in all my rear diffs, and now that I think of it they are all Torsen now after the swap.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (02-16-19)
Old 02-14-19, 02:53 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleepstate
I don't think the Torsen rear diff in the '12 needs the LS additive since it is full mechanical.
I use the regular Gear 300 in all my rear diffs, and now that I think of it they are all Torsen now after the swap.
I was under the impression the 300 LS oil was for Limited Slip, which the Torsen is vs. the regular 300 which was for the 08-09 open diff.
Old 02-14-19, 03:02 PM
sleepstate
Driver

I believe the LS has friction modifiers for common clutch type limited slip differentials. And the Torsen is mechanical limited slip not requiring friction modifiers.
Running 300 LS in my 2004 STI which has a clutch pack diff, and running regular 300 in my 2012 STI which has the Torsen.

We may need to call on the expertise of the big hitters on this one (lobux, etc...)
Old 02-14-19, 03:16 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleepstate
I believe the LS has friction modifiers for common clutch type limited slip differentials. And the Torsen is mechanical limited slip not requiring friction modifiers.
Running 300 LS in my 2004 STI which has a clutch pack diff, and running regular 300 in my 2012 STI which has the Torsen.

We may need to call on the expertise of the big hitters on this one (lobux, etc...)
They would know for sure, good point about clutch type LSD vs. Mechanical. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt that I have the additive in there though for the Torsen. Better safe than sorry I guess?
Old 02-15-19, 06:01 AM
sleepstate
Driver

I believe the only detriment really will be to the wallet with the higher per-liter cost. The additives shouldn't make a difference, both are top quality GL-4/GL-5 oils.

Loving the build and the documentation here. Wonderful car.

Quick Reply: Project Osaka: 12' SFP on Red