LexIS007's 1995 5spd Built SC300 Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 03:16 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LexIS007's 1995 5spd Built SC300 Project

Sup guys,

I had been looking for a MKIV Supra for a while, and although I came across several of them, almost all were either in multiple accidents or just way to over-priced. I've always loved the 2JZ motor, and was looking at the 2nd gen GS300's and 1st gen IS300, however, they were all post 1995 cars which in Illinois makes them a pain to modify with a standalone because of emissions regulations and OBD-II. A few months back, my cousin offered up his SC300 for a good price, and after I looked the car over, went ahead and purchased it. It's a 1995 5spd Renaissance Red SC300. The car is very clean in and out, accident free, and just a bit of rust on the rear quarter panels near the rockers.

***UPDATE 7/21/17***
My goal for this car has changed from NA-T build to GTE VVTi build/swap. Nothing wrong with going NA-T and I still think it's a more manageable option, however, after caluclating costs of small parts from Toyota (sensors, FFIM manifolds, etc...) it doesn't make sense financially to start with a GE...at least initially. My build will take some time, but I plan on doing the following; Decking cylinder head, Ferrea valves, GSC guides, shimless buckets, BC 272 VVTi cams, GSC valve seals, IS300 manual steering wheel, CP pistons, Manley H Tuff rods, ACL bearings, 6266 tubro (leaning towards Borg Warner, but maybe PTE), Tremec T56 Magnum 6spd, KAAZ LSD, Supra oem calipers with dust shields, and much more to list.

Here is the start of the project...hopefully will have the car's rust repaired and repainted fully this summer (if the price is right ;-) :

​​​​​​​

Last edited by LexIS007; 07-21-17 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-18-17, 08:26 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like a good starting point. Engine built correctly for a solid piece of mind. Everything else will come over time, keep the updates coming and thanks for sharing. Subscribed!
Old 03-18-17, 08:42 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Looks like a good starting point. Engine built correctly for a solid piece of mind. Everything else will come over time, keep the updates coming and thanks for sharing. Subscribed!
Thanks Steve! I do plan on making 750-800whp with the motor, and I know the 2JZ in stock form is very capable and most would argue building it up is overkill....but like you said for piece of mind.

I just need to figure out a date soon on the body and paint.
Old 03-18-17, 08:44 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Thanks Steve! I do plan on making 750-800whp with the motor, and I know the 2JZ in stock form is very capable and most would argue building it up is overkill....but like you said for piece of mind.

I just need to figure out a date soon on the body and paint.
Sounds good. Are you keeping the same color, or do you have something "special" in mind? lol
Old 03-18-17, 09:21 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Sounds good. Are you keeping the same color, or do you have something "special" in mind? lol
I originally wanted to do a a silver very similar to the silver on the R34 GTR's (not sure the color code), then I decided I'll just leave it Renaissance Red (maybe go with a little more orange...not sure). I will say though, Jimmy's car looks absolutely fantastic in that USB color and is really making me think to do a color swap.

I'm now just deciding between the OEM 97+ aero parts, or going APT body kit. Around the same price, but one will be used and need repainting, the other will be new and need fitting. Hopefully by June it will be ready in terms of body and paint.
Old 03-18-17, 12:24 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Good looking red/black car. The rust is pretty bad on those 1/4 panels. Not the worst I've seen but there will definitely be quite a few hours involved in making those right. Stay red and going with 97+ aero is going to be (in my opinion) your least expensive route. Irving from APT makes excellent kits but there is a little more work involved with heating them up and fitting them than there is just installing a 97+ kit. Can't wait to see this car in person especially with that motor in it :-)

Jim
Old 03-18-17, 12:37 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The quarter panel rot is pretty bad man. Easiest way to fix that is the polyurethane widebody that's now being offered in the group buy. You'd have to cut out those quarter panel sections completely to truly fix it and not have it come back every 2 years.
Old 03-18-17, 08:46 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
Good looking red/black car. The rust is pretty bad on those 1/4 panels. Not the worst I've seen but there will definitely be quite a few hours involved in making those right. Stay red and going with 97+ aero is going to be (in my opinion) your least expensive route. Irving from APT makes excellent kits but there is a little more work involved with heating them up and fitting them than there is just installing a 97+ kit. Can't wait to see this car in person especially with that motor in it :-)

Jim
Jim, I have decided to keep it red and will get the oem 97+ aero parts.

Is the rust something you feel will not be able to be done at your place?....or within budget? PM let me know please.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-17, 08:51 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The quarter panel rot is pretty bad man. Easiest way to fix that is the polyurethane widebody that's now being offered in the group buy. You'd have to cut out those quarter panel sections completely to truly fix it and not have it come back every 2 years.
I gotta ask, is this Dimitry? If so, I think i've seen your SC300 at SP on the dyno...and i gotta say, it is by far my favorite SC out there...if it's the same SC im talking about. I would love to see this thing in person if you ever have time.

In regards to the rust, I have seen worse....and I'm hoping Jim can work something out with me on the repairs/repaint. I want to avoid putting any kits on the fenders if I can....but I will see what the body shops price out.

Thanks.

Last edited by LexIS007; 03-18-17 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 09:52 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Very nice car with red and black interior.

As far as the rust, I think your right on with wide body fix cut what you need to but don't go crazy at some point it could be surface(that is saveable) compared the the edges

Sounds like your doing it right man. Good luck
Old 03-19-17, 09:46 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scsexy
Very nice car with red and black interior.

As far as the rust, I think your right on with wide body fix cut what you need to but don't go crazy at some point it could be surface(that is saveable) compared the the edges

Sounds like your doing it right man. Good luck
Thanks....yeah, I am not a huge fan of the widebody kits (not saying they are ugly), just not my goals for this car. I have gotten a few estimates from various shops, and most said it's not a huge deal to fix, but will need work for sure.
Old 04-12-17, 06:56 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid looking NA-T build!

What are you going to tune it with? You can't do sequential with a 7M CPS and GTE cams as far as I know..just something to keep in mind. MVP sells GE versions of the 272s that would work, fwiw.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-17, 07:32 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
Solid looking NA-T build!

What are you going to tune it with? You can't do sequential with a 7M CPS and GTE cams as far as I know..just something to keep in mind. MVP sells GE versions of the 272s that would work, fwiw.

Good luck!
Thanks. The BC 272's I have are not GTE cams....they are GE cams with dizzy gear for the CPS (you can't see the gear in the picture that well).

I plan on running an AEM Infinity, and since I am going wasted spark with the IS300 coils and igniter, there is no need for concern about sequential ignition. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

The GE head is getting sent off to OCD Works for CNC porting next month (i will have pics up when its back), and I plan on building a new intake manifold as the one I built is very close to the strut tower after measuring.

Last edited by LexIS007; 04-13-17 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-14-17, 09:04 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Parts collection is the fun part ! Good progress so far .

One thing I suggest if I may , seeing in the list the turbo size you want to use, head porting and all the other parts in that head like shimless buckets are the last things you want to spend money on. You can use those precious $$$$ for your other go fast goodies. Just with the right cams , that head without any porting or other after market stuff can get you into the 1krwhp level. Porting can even hurt your power down low depending on the kind of porting they do. Get it cleaned up , do a valve job and replace valve seals .

Just my $0.02
Old 04-14-17, 10:32 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
Just with the right cams , that head without any porting or other after market stuff can get you into the 1krwhp level. Porting can even hurt your power down low depending on the kind of porting they do. Get it cleaned up , do a valve job and replace valve seals .
Gerrb, can the GE head really support that much flow without porting?...do you not recommend I get the head ported? I have the BC 272's, and really the reason I want to upgrade the smaller components is to prevent a disaster from happening at high rpms and power. Can you tell me more about what fast goodies to start looking into other than putting it towards the head?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: LexIS007's 1995 5spd Built SC300 Project