Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

White Pearl-Black Pearls' Sister

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 02:21 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also got a great deal and picked up some injectors..these 1200cc's will be plenty for my power goals and leaves me some room for later on down the road. Will just need some new orings..no biggy
Old 02-28-17, 02:27 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Nice .. those will get you to 800rwhp on E85

My buddy is on a spending spree .. lmaol.

I bet in a week time the Tremec Magnum is being delivered
Old 02-28-17, 02:32 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

I'm super excited because I got another great deal on an exhaust system I've always loved...HKS Super Drager...loved them since I seen and heard the red mamba fire up...
Its kind of dirty and needs to be polished, but once I clean her up and give her a good painting and buff/polish she'll look like new.
Old 02-28-17, 03:01 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Take out the resonator . I took out what is on the Red Mamba and sounded better. Deep rumble on idle and low rpms but opens up once you are above 60 mph . Just use the rear part of the exhaust then get Nick weld a 3" all the way to the down pipe.
Old 02-28-17, 03:03 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb
Nice .. those will get you to 800rwhp on E85

My buddy is on a spending spree .. lmaol.

I bet in a week time the Tremec Magnum is being delivered

i wish i had a Tremec on the way! I have the money for it, but trying to debate on getting the tranny all together and ready and waiting on engine parts or vice versa.. which should I do first?? Hmmmm🤔🤔
Old 02-28-17, 03:07 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

But knowing you , you will do all at the same time , hahaha . You have no patience. You want things done yesterday... lol...

seriously , get the engine stuff first so you can work on it. The trans is plug and play , not much to do there. But I bet this week will not pass without the trans and engine stuff being ordered. I know you !!!
Old 02-28-17, 03:22 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

But knowing you , you will do all at the same time , hahaha . You have no patience. You want things done yesterday... lol...

seriously , get the engine stuff first so you can work on it. The trans is plug and play , not much to do there. But I bet this week will not pass without the trans and engine stuff being ordered. I know you !!!
nope no tranny coming at least for a few months 😏😜🤣
Old 03-01-17, 05:06 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

can't wait to see what you do with this! Subscribed!!
The following users liked this post:
geauxsimon (03-02-17)
Old 03-09-17, 03:59 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

So I am continuing to slowly take this engine down piece by piece every few days and yesterday I began getting the head torn down in preparation of inspecting the cylinders and look what I found when I pulled the cam covers off..������
I was thinking oil must be expensive over seas because they got all the life Out of this oil!
I mean the black stuff in the valleys looks soft....but NO...like my wife's chocolate chip cookies. Toasted

This head will be disassembled and sent to the machine shop for numerous hot bath sessions...wow..
Old 03-09-17, 04:47 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

So Gerrb and I started making a list of everything I will need for the build..I will only get the parts that I have to have for my goals and to keep a safe engine, instead of extra parts for looks and just to say I have them...I will split the parts into 3 sections. Engine build, electronics, Transmission. They will be all ordered in this order seeing that the transmission is the most expensive and also the simplest install. I have ordered a good bit of the engine build items all ready. As far as electronics it's pretty straight forward with the Infinity 6. However, for gauges I want to try and keep my car stock looking on the inside not a cockpit of gauges. So, I am going to try and use a small tablet to run my engine parameters with and have a custom gauge layout so all I have to do is open the glove box or have a simple removeable car tablet mount to stick it on if I want it out.
This build will take a lot longer as I work 5 days a week now instead of a 2 week on/ 2 Week off schedule. When I had my old schedule I could work on my car every night while the family slept for 10-12 days....now I have maybe two hours every other day to go to the shop and work on my engine. Plus I had a lot of overtime back then so buying parts was a little easier than now. So parts will require saving money..and $6000 transmissions take a while to save for. ��

Engine: 2jzgte vvti- 650/pump, eventually 850/e85
- fluiddamper crank pulley- Purchased
- Greddy Intake Manny- Purchased
- q45 throttle body- Purchased
- equal length turbo manifold- Purchased
- Borg Warner- S366- Purchased
- stock non vvti injector coils- purchased
- Injectors- PTE 1200c - Purchased
- Toyota head gasket- Purchased
​​​​​​- Water Pump- Purchased
- Orem oil Pump- Purchased
- Billet idle pulley bracket- Purchased
- IS300 rad fan- Purchased
- 14mm fuel rail- Purchased
- Low temp Thermostat- Purchased
- Greddy Type R 50mm BOV- Puchased
- Wastegate- Turbosmart 45mm- Purchased
- Downpipe- Purchased
- Exhaust HKS Super Drager- Purchased
- Greddy Intercooler- Purchased
- ARP head studs- Purchased
- Catch Can-
- Fuel Pressure Regulator- Purchased
- Fuel Surge Tanks/Dual 044 pumps setup
- Fuel line- supply & return
- turbo/downpipe mating flange-
- Radiator
- engine gasket kit- purchased
- Turbo oil supply/drain hoses
- Alternator- Purchased
Electronics-

- AEM Infinity 6-
- Tweaked Harness-
- Gauges or Either and custom tablet setup with gauges on the screen...gotta see if this can be fairly easy.
- Boost, Oil psi, coolant temp, AFR sensors-

Transmission-

- Tremec T56 Magnum Swap Kit- $$ALOT$$
- LSD- $$$

Last edited by geauxsimon; 04-04-17 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added parts
Old 03-09-17, 05:22 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Since you will be using an AEM Infinity .. check the Canbus Gauge .. you just need one and I believe can cycle through different parameters to see the values.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?969130-BT-Innovations-52mm-CAN-Bus-Gauge-for-AEM-Ininity&highlight=can+gauge

Brandon (Halon) is using one on his SC. He is also using an AEM Infinity.
Old 03-09-17, 06:54 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your list is damn near identical to mine....Why are you changing to the non VVTI coil plugs? And I would have stayed with an OEM intake manifold given your power goals. Why use the Greddy?
Old 03-10-17, 03:17 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mteele
Your list is damn near identical to mine....Why are you changing to the non VVTI coil plugs? And I would have stayed with an OEM intake manifold given your power goals. Why use the Greddy?
Since I am helping Aaron build his car just like I did in the past , let me take the liberty to answer this .

As I have always said , build your car once and right no matter how long it takes . Keep in mind always your ultimate goal . You don't build it for your initial goals then later change stuff to upgrade. It is a waste of time and money.

Knowing Aaron , that 600rwhp initial goal ain't gonna work for him. He would eventually go more. We started at 500 and I already see that 850rwhp/E85 on his list .

Why Greddy style manifold ?

a) He wants to use an IS300 fan setup . Any intake manifold with a throttle body facing directly in front would not work . Not enough space .

b) The OEM VVTi manifold has the trac / iac incorporated on the throttle body / controlled by stock ECU. It is NOT a true fly by wire system. The throttle cable actually controls an APPS that tells the computer the position of the throttle so it would know the values of the TPS . He is going aftermarket ECU and so he won't be able to control that throttle body (half baked / hybrid fly by wire) properly without doing more work. Remember IACV is also incorporated on that throttle body.

c) Too many people have knocked down the knock-off greddy manifold. I have made 870rwhp on it without even getting the runners welded. But I have since gotten them welded by my buddy Jared at Speed for Sale , now that I am making more to avoid any leaks. Somewhere on my build thread , I have made a comparison of my original Greddy and knock off greddy manifold with a lot of pictures. The only difference I saw were casting marks. So for its price , the knock off greddy manifold can't be beaten but I would suggest as I have told Aaron ... clean it up and get the runners welded to the upper intake manifold to avoid any leaks. I actually ported the runners / greddy plenum before getting them welded together.

Why Direct Fire ?

As mentioned , knowing him , he wants more later. It is better to set things up properly now using Direct Fire instead of wasted spark (3 coils) so he can use an ignition amplifier like an M&W Pro or HKS Dli later on . As your power goals go higher , beefing up the ignition system would always be a good idea. Higher boost pressures tends to blow that spark away. He is getting a harness done by Tweak so he might as well do it right eliminating all the jumper harness and get it done right the first time.

Last edited by gerrb; 03-10-17 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jimmymac30 (03-11-17)
Old 03-10-17, 09:39 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I am helping Aaron build his car just like I did in the past , let me take the liberty to answer this .

As I have always said , build your car once and right no matter how long it takes . Keep in mind always your ultimate goal . You don't build it for your initial goals then later change stuff to upgrade. It is a waste of time and money.

Knowing Aaron , that 600rwhp initial goal ain't gonna work for him. He would eventually go more. We started at 500 and I already see that 850rwhp/E85 on his list .

Why Greddy style manifold ?

a) He wants to use an IS300 fan setup . Any intake manifold with a throttle body facing directly in front would not work . Not enough space .

b) The OEM VVTi manifold has the trac / iac incorporated on the throttle body / controlled by stock ECU. It is NOT a true fly by wire system. The throttle cable actually controls an APPS that tells the computer the position of the throttle so it would know the values of the TPS . He is going aftermarket ECU and so he won't be able to control that throttle body (half baked / hybrid fly by wire) properly without doing more work. Remember IACV is also incorporated on that throttle body.

c) Too many people have knocked down the knock-off greddy manifold. I have made 870rwhp on it without even getting the runners welded. But I have since gotten them welded by my buddy Jared at Speed for Sale , now that I am making more to avoid any leaks. Somewhere on my build thread , I have made a comparison of my original Greddy and knock off greddy manifold with a lot of pictures. The only difference I saw were casting marks. So for its price , the knock off greddy manifold can't be beaten but I would suggest as I have told Aaron ... clean it up and get the runners welded to the upper intake manifold to avoid any leaks. I actually ported the runners / greddy plenum before getting them welded together.

Why Direct Fire ?

As mentioned , knowing him , he wants more later. It is better to set things up properly now using Direct Fire instead of wasted spark (3 coils) so he can use an ignition amplifier like an M&W Pro or HKS Dli later on . As your power goals go higher , beefing up the ignition system would always be a good idea. Higher boost pressures tends to blow that spark away. He is getting a harness done by Tweak so he might as well do it right eliminating all the jumper harness and get it done right the first time.
Thanks for the response gerrb!

My understanding was that the intake manifold was not a limiting factor until you reached 800-900HP so given that, I was just curious. I have been doing a lot of reading on the VVTI throttle bodies and understand the whole DBW system. I think the AEM Infinity can control it, but you are right that it adds more work/complication to the setup. Driftmotion sells a kit for $20 that converts the VVTI throttle body to a fully mechanical setup (which I bought and I have currently) - but I decided that for the time being I am going to buy a used non-VVTI throttle body and install that instead. I also bought the Trac delete kit off Supraforums to simplify the unit even further.

Do you have a good link to some more information on the differences between direct fire and wasted spark? I am getting a Tweak harness as well for my setup so I may need to follow your example. I was planning on buying 3 new Denso wasted spark coil packs but if the non-VVTI system works better I'm all for it!
Old 03-11-17, 05:14 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Runners are same between VVTi and Non VVTi GTE . The plenum and TB sizes are indeed not the limiting factor to make 800-900rwhp but the TB of that VVTi is a pain in the ****. There are different ways to make it mechanical . One is what you just mentioned and the other is taking out the gears and do some welding. You will have to take note that to make it mechanical , you will be taking out the Idle Control which is incorporated on the TB. I love to keep my Idle Air Control especially during cold season where I don't have to sit there pressing the accelerator at start up just to keep it running till it warms up. That is why I told Aaron to get his wiring done as though he has a non vvti setup with IACV.

On the non VVTi GTE , the IACV is not on the TB. It is at the end of the plenum. Just too much meddling on that vvti TB to make it function properly without the DBW which is hybrid (not a full fledge DBW). If it was a full fledge DBW then no problem , just let the AEM Infinithy control it. I don't think a non VVTI GTE throttle body will mate to a VVTI GTE upper plenum. they don't have same mounting points as far as I remember. I can verify that when I have time since I have a vvti and non vvti gte intake manifolds somewhere.

When it comes to Direct Fire and Wasted Spark , this is the way it has been explained to me by a good friend who works on performance cars day in day out from Supras, GTRs , etc ... Wasted park .. two cylinders given a spark by a coil at the same time. One is used during the compression stroke and one is wasted since the cylinder is on the exhaust stroke. On higher RPMs , each coil on a direct fire system has more time to build charge before it is asked to fire on the next cycle. Remember there are 6 of them in our case taking turns . Where as on a wasted spark , there are 3 on our case so the coils has only half the time to charge before the next cycle that they are asked to fire again. Not that wasted spark won't work. It is just that you will find better aftermarket parts also for beefing up direct fire ignition systems. Main difference will be effectivity in the higher RPMs, which one will keep or give a better fire when all that air is being ingested into the cylinders. I guess this can be evidenced by just looking at really high performance cars , what do they use .. direct fire or wasted spark ? I believe it is the former.

Last edited by gerrb; 03-11-17 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: White Pearl-Black Pearls' Sister