Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Jimmy Mac 1999 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 02:42 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oemplusmor
As many of us here know, there comes a point of diminishing returns. We get caught up modding theses cars only to have to bite the bullet when it's time to sell. These cars, as much as we love them and know them for what they are, will never be a Supra no matter how well we mod them. These days an NA auto Supra is worth more than V160-GTE swapped SC.

So just some advice Jim and strictly my opinion, get the GTE vvti auto. Even a 1jz vvti auto swap is more than what you have already and is a lot of fun for your purpose. Think authentic JDM Soarer...Refresh the block and trans with new seals and fluids etc. Drop it in and grin from ear to ear. Hi flow the JDM turbo/s depending on the route you go and get some bigger injectors when you're ready. It's still plenty of power to make you appreciate your investment.

Your car car is beautiful and you've modded it appropriately even as an NA. Neither GTE swap will ever get you back what you put into it, but one will put you less in a hole. When and if you sell it, the next guy can absorb the cost of a manual swap.

Just my 2 cents after hanging with the Supra guys...we'll never see a return like they do. I got my rolling SC chassis from a guy that bought the car just for the built motor and v160 to put in his 98 Quicksilver Supra. The shell sat for 8 years until I came to save it with a 1jz vvti soarer r154 swap.
Very well said! The SC will never fetch the sort of outlandish money the Supra's are selling for nowadays....however, the 5spds have always been gaining more demand. Still, they will never sell for what a Supra will sell for no matter what condition the car is in. Most of us don't restore these cars for investment purposes....I mean, I for one am definitely not. I went into my project expecting to dump a **** load of money into it and one day (if I decide to sell it) to sell it for less than or equal to what I invested in it. I got into an SC because, well, lets be real....it is a Supra without the beefed up drive train! Everything (or at least 99% of the hardware that matters) swaps between a Supra and a SC. What you end up with is ultimately a car that performs as well if not better than a Supra, is much more luxurious and higher-end than a Supra, and one that if you (god forbid) wreck it....you don't lose sleep for weeks because it wasn't worth all that much to buy and build.

I say, get the 2JZGTE VVTi motor (or like oemplusmore said, the 1JZGTE) clean it up well, swap it in and make decent power....it will be well worth it in the end. You will have a fast, luxurious, sporty, good looking, and reliable "SC-upra" for wayyyyy less than what a Supra costs. Plus....who knows what the future will be for our cars. Alot of JZ platform cars are going up in value because of the popularity of the 2JZ power plant.

One last thing....there are more VVTi parts still available that work between the GE VVTi and GTE VVTi than there are for the GE non-VVTi and GTE non-VVTi. I have a brand new GTE non-VVTi coil pack cover that is currently worth $400....because it is discontinued. Just sayin'

Last edited by LexIS007; 07-18-17 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 07:41 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

picked up a new hood. Might custom paint it...

The following users liked this post:
bens sc (09-21-17)
Old 07-22-17, 04:48 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

The fitment looks pretty spot on, not to mention the weight savings compare to the oem hood.
Old 07-22-17, 05:18 AM
oemplusmor
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good choice. If I were to go carbon fiber hood that's the one I'd choose as well.
Old 07-22-17, 09:52 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

great choice on the hood Jim!
Old 07-23-17, 04:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks great. Did you do a blue stripe around the hood vents?

Usually not a fan of carbon fiber hoods, think it makes the car look like rice on white/silver/beige or any lighter colors, but on black/dark blue/dark green looks awesome!
Old 07-23-17, 11:07 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

your engine bay is going to get soaked every time you wash it. or drive in the rain. i really don't get the point of a vented hood.... not like the car needs it... also, I'd probably paint it to match the car (yes, i know its CF). Car looks a million times cleaner when it's all one color.
Old 07-24-17, 09:07 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
your engine bay is going to get soaked every time you wash it. or drive in the rain. i really don't get the point of a vented hood.... not like the car needs it... also, I'd probably paint it to match the car (yes, i know its CF). Car looks a million times cleaner when it's all one color.
some people pop the hood and degrease/wash/clean the engine bay when they wash their car anyways, so whats the difference? I'm not a fan of vented hoods on the SC either, but to each their own. the naked carbon fiber look with this paint color actually looks pretty amazing, you can get the RC F, which this color originally came on, with a naked carbon roof and it still looks pretty clean to me, and if this were my car, id add carbon to the roof and do a carbon trunk as well to complete the carbon look of the car! Your car looks amazing Jimmy Mac, keep up the good work!
Old 07-24-17, 10:16 AM
76mmturbo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pickup. I wanted that hood if I was local. We never have anything good out here
Old 07-24-17, 04:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FortuneSC
some people pop the hood and degrease/wash/clean the engine bay when they wash their car anyways, so whats the difference? I'm not a fan of vented hoods on the SC either, but to each their own. the naked carbon fiber look with this paint color actually looks pretty amazing, you can get the RC F, which this color originally came on, with a naked carbon roof and it still looks pretty clean to me, and if this were my car, id add carbon to the roof and do a carbon trunk as well to complete the carbon look of the car! Your car looks amazing Jimmy Mac, keep up the good work!
Lol really? I am in the detailing business and I can tell you MOST people don't even open their hood let alone wash it every time they wash their car. And it's been documented a million times that washing a 2jz is a big no-no unless you like misfiring and replacing spark plugs on a GE as a hobby.

You can obviously just put some material over the engine after it cools down to avoid getting a bunch of water on it. Easy fix.
Old 07-24-17, 05:18 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Looks great. Did you do a blue stripe around the hood vents?

Usually not a fan of carbon fiber hoods, think it makes the car look like rice on white/silver/beige or any lighter colors, but on black/dark blue/dark green looks awesome!
good eye. But no, that is fine line tape. Trying to decide where to paint it and where to keep it carbon fiber.

definitely going to paint part of it. I've always thought it looked funny where the hood meets the door and fender if it isn't the same color.
Old 07-24-17, 05:23 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
I guess it will. And I wash it ALL the time too. But I hand wash it and I'm very careful and meticulous.
Old 07-27-17, 06:27 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

So when is the next meet
Old 07-27-17, 08:15 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
So when is the next meet
not really sure. We should put one together. I'll check with the other SC guys and see what they have available.
Old 07-30-17, 08:00 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

If nobody else wants to go we can just do a photoshoot with your car.

Quick Reply: Jimmy Mac 1999 SC300