Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Jimmy Mac 1999 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-17, 11:20 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Great restoration! Love the colour. Inspiring to see what you´ve done to the interior. Thanks for sharing
Old 06-25-17, 03:34 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

So when is the next meet like this? Definitely wanna make it to the next one. Been so busy this year with essentially no time at all to drive this car.
Old 06-26-17, 04:41 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
So when is the next meet like this? Definitely wanna make it to the next one. Been so busy this year with essentially no time at all to drive this car.
i will let you know. I totally understand the busy part. Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one.
Old 06-26-17, 05:00 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lettut
Great restoration! Love the colour. Inspiring to see what you´ve done to the interior. Thanks for sharing
this is one of the pictures a friend of mine took. Looks amazing! Thanks Sean!
The following users liked this post:
BrokeEF (06-26-17)
Old 06-26-17, 05:41 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Less cropped, less ****ty quality version of this beautiful SC

Hopefully I get to actually shoot it some day soon.

Sean
Old 06-28-17, 10:47 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
thank you Fadi. It was a fun car to restore. There are a few things I would have done differently knowing what I end through but for the most part this build was pretty straight forward. You coming to SC and coffee this morning?
Wish I could have made it, but I was out of town in AZ during that time....just got back.

On a different note, while I was in AZ, literally driving from Phoenix Sky Harbor, I ran into this beauty on the road:

It was a sign... ;-)
Old 07-01-17, 10:09 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Nice work man. Car looks fantastic.
Old 07-02-17, 12:34 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

The car looks gorgeous, Jim!! You've got such fine attention to detail everywhere
Old 07-03-17, 08:39 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The car looks gorgeous, Jim!! You've got such fine attention to detail everywhere
Thanks Craig! It's been fun to build this one. I think what has been most rewarding is that it was literally junkyard bound. Every seal was leaking oil, steering rack blown out, radiator cracked, ORIGINAL TBELT AT 222k, original plugs, wires, interior ripped to shreads, rear view mirror missing, windshield cracked, front control arm bushings were gone (literally), both side mirrors were broken, exhaust rotted out, all 4 O2 sensors were shot, brakes were metal to metal, headlights were full of water, a/c wasn't cold cause of the common rotted line, trunk was full of water in spare area... why did I buy this?????? Lol

but all of that is behind me. A lot of work. Fresh new interior, Lots of body work, full maintenance, fresh paint, brakes...

i still want to swap it though. GTE here I come. And an LSD rear with a 1 piece driveshaft.

I was was talking to a friend and started adding up the amount spent and let's just say, I'll either lose my *** selling it or I'll keep it forever! LOL
Old 07-03-17, 08:41 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Nice work man. Car looks fantastic.
thank you. Took this photo today when I washed it.
Old 07-04-17, 11:09 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks Craig! It's been fun to build this one. I think what has been most rewarding is that it was literally junkyard bound. Every seal was leaking oil, steering rack blown out, radiator cracked, ORIGINAL TBELT AT 222k, original plugs, wires, interior ripped to shreads, rear view mirror missing, windshield cracked, front control arm bushings were gone (literally), both side mirrors were broken, exhaust rotted out, all 4 O2 sensors were shot, brakes were metal to metal, headlights were full of water, a/c wasn't cold cause of the common rotted line, trunk was full of water in spare area... why did I buy this?????? Lol

but all of that is behind me. A lot of work. Fresh new interior, Lots of body work, full maintenance, fresh paint, brakes...

i still want to swap it though. GTE here I come. And an LSD rear with a 1 piece driveshaft.

I was was talking to a friend and started adding up the amount spent and let's just say, I'll either lose my *** selling it or I'll keep it forever! LOL
Yeah man you definitely need the swap. Makes it a totally different car. Last year I was this close to flying down to San Diego to get a 14k mile all original 97 5spd. Quiet possibly the cleanest, most original SC left in the country. The only reason I did not do it is because I questioned just what the hell I would do with that thing. Stock SCs are WAY too slow and boring for me, from a performance/fun side nothing attractive at all about them to be honest in stock form. I figured if I got that car, I could not really get enjoyment out of it unless I modded it and it was too nice to mod a 14k mile car. So in short, you need the swap to actually feel what these are capable of.
Old 07-04-17, 12:09 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Yeah man you definitely need the swap. Makes it a totally different car. Last year I was this close to flying down to San Diego to get a 14k mile all original 97 5spd. Quiet possibly the cleanest, most original SC left in the country. The only reason I did not do it is because I questioned just what the hell I would do with that thing. Stock SCs are WAY too slow and boring for me, from a performance/fun side nothing attractive at all about them to be honest in stock form. I figured if I got that car, I could not really get enjoyment out of it unless I modded it and it was too nice to mod a 14k mile car. So in short, you need the swap to actually feel what these are capable of.
Dmitry,
im definitely in for the swap this winter. Just trying to figure out what route I want to go. I want the swap to be relatively easy to do and look relatively factory. I will most likely get a vvti GTE auto (can be had for around $1800) and replace all the seals and have the twins rebuilt. Front mount would be nice but a soarer side mount would be ok with me to keep it factory looking. Plus I'm absolutely dying to get the engine and trans out to finish painting the engine bay!
Old 07-14-17, 11:18 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dmitry,
im definitely in for the swap this winter. Just trying to figure out what route I want to go. I want the swap to be relatively easy to do and look relatively factory. I will most likely get a vvti GTE auto (can be had for around $1800) and replace all the seals and have the twins rebuilt. Front mount would be nice but a soarer side mount would be ok with me to keep it factory looking. Plus I'm absolutely dying to get the engine and trans out to finish painting the engine bay!
Jim,
Do you plan on doing any mods with the GTE?

I recently changed my mind about the build....I exchanged my GE 272 non-VVTi cams for the GTE 272 vvti cams. I too am now going GTE VVT-i...the main reason being all the extra OEM parts that normally come on a GTE motor cost $$$ to buy alone. I will have more info on my build soon...

Can't wait to see your GTE swap....gonna be so sick!
Old 07-16-17, 04:50 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Jim,
Do you plan on doing any mods with the GTE?

I recently changed my mind about the build....I exchanged my GE 272 non-VVTi cams for the GTE 272 vvti cams. I too am now going GTE VVT-i...the main reason being all the extra OEM parts that normally come on a GTE motor cost $$$ to buy alone. I will have more info on my build soon...

Can't wait to see your GTE swap....gonna be so sick!
i have 2 options right now. A friend of mine is selling his 92 GTE swapped car with 5 speed. I can buy the whole car and swap the drivetrain over. I've been talking to him all week about it. If that happens, I'll be NON-vvti. The positives are that it's complete and running, already single turbo, manual, and would be an easy route to go. With a vvti motor and trans from a JDM warehouse you're taking a chance. Most of them are good, but not all. And I would stay auto at that point. And it would be stock turbos. And I'd still have to source an intercooler, fuel system, and other random odds and ends. So yeah... we shall see
Old 07-16-17, 07:32 AM
oemplusmor
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have 2 options right now. A friend of mine is selling his 92 GTE swapped car with 5 speed. I can buy the whole car and swap the drivetrain over. I've been talking to him all week about it. If that happens, I'll be NON-vvti. The positives are that it's complete and running, already single turbo, manual, and would be an easy route to go. With a vvti motor and trans from a JDM warehouse you're taking a chance. Most of them are good, but not all. And I would stay auto at that point. And it would be stock turbos. And I'd still have to source an intercooler, fuel system, and other random odds and ends. So yeah... we shall see

As many of us here know, there comes a point of diminishing returns. We get caught up modding theses cars only to have to bite the bullet when it's time to sell. These cars, as much as we love them and know them for what they are, will never be a Supra no matter how well we mod them. These days an NA auto Supra is worth more than V160-GTE swapped SC.

So just some advice Jim and strictly my opinion, get the GTE vvti auto. Even a 1jz vvti auto swap is more than what you have already and is a lot of fun for your purpose. Think authentic JDM Soarer...Refresh the block and trans with new seals and fluids etc. Drop it in and grin from ear to ear. Hi flow the JDM turbo/s depending on the route you go and get some bigger injectors when you're ready. It's still plenty of power to make you appreciate your investment.

Your car car is beautiful and you've modded it appropriately even as an NA. Neither GTE swap will ever get you back what you put into it, but one will put you less in a hole. When and if you sell it, the next guy can absorb the cost of a manual swap.

Just my 2 cents after hanging with the Supra guys...we'll never see a return like they do. I got my rolling SC chassis from a guy that bought the car just for the built motor and v160 to put in his 98 Quicksilver Supra. The shell sat for 8 years until I came to save it with a 1jz vvti soarer r154 swap.

Last edited by oemplusmor; 07-16-17 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Jimmy Mac 1999 SC300