Jimmy Mac 1999 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 08:50 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
saw your PM. Thank you for the info!!
It's no problem at all! I wouldn't have my set if you guys didn't mention that they were discontinued.

This entire time I thought you wanted 95-96 tails or I would have told you back when I found out they got 3 more in stock.
Old 03-25-17, 05:38 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
IMO black and blue just never go well together.

You can also send out the taillights to Organized Garage (O.G.) Status in CA. They specialize in custom lighting and light restoration. The owner is here on the forums, and owns a nice clean VIP manual SC300
everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I've heard different opinions about the tail lights, the color, chrome emblems, wasting money on new trim and headlights, the wheels, why it's not turbo yet... the list goes on. But I like my car a lot and everyone that has seen it in person loves it. So I'm good with it. It makes me happy to see it everyday. And it's not done yet so I have that going for me
The following users liked this post:
myLEXsc400 (03-25-17)
Old 03-25-17, 06:40 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Obviously the yellow discolored reverse light sections inside the housing cannot be corrected, unless there's some way to take the lights apart and bleach those white sections in some solution (no knowledge how that would be done).
Actually, this is a common mod in the 300ZX world. In order to make the tail lamp assemblies look more "domestic", the guys who have done this will gradually heat up the tail light assemblies in an oven or by using a heat gun (not my preferred method) and separate the lens from the housing. Then you remove the yellowed lens and insert a piece of material cut from a fluorescent ceiling fixture lens and glue the whole thing back together. They use low heat, so as not to warp the lens or housing. I'll have to see if I can find the thread that discussed this over on 3ZC.

EDIT: There are a few videos of the process on YT, if anyone is interested..
Old 03-25-17, 08:48 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I've heard different opinions about the tail lights, the color, chrome emblems, wasting money on new trim and headlights, the wheels, why it's not turbo yet... the list goes on. But I like my car a lot and everyone that has seen it in person loves it. So I'm good with it. It makes me happy to see it everyday. And it's not done yet so I have that going for me

Oh man, didn't mean it offensively. I'm sorry if i came off as a douche, was just trying to give a bit of constructive criticism, but it's not my car, and you're right, you should do what makes you happy. People will always complain about anything you do to your car, same happened with my build over the years with my turbo SC. People questioning why I was dumping stupid money into a car that's worth just a couple grand. I really do like your car, so I check this thread often for updates. Looking forward to seeing the new wheels you're going with.
Old 03-25-17, 08:56 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Actually, this is a common mod in the 300ZX world. In order to make the tail lamp assemblies look more "domestic", the guys who have done this will gradually heat up the tail light assemblies in an oven or by using a heat gun (not my preferred method) and separate the lens from the housing. Then you remove the yellowed lens and insert a piece of material cut from a fluorescent ceiling fixture lens and glue the whole thing back together. They use low heat, so as not to warp the lens or housing. I'll have to see if I can find the thread that discussed this over on 3ZC.

EDIT: There are a few videos of the process on YT, if anyone is interested..
Yup, people do that all the time with SC and other Lexus lights as well. I baked my front headlights when I took them apart to do a TSX projector retrofit. Not difficult to do at all.

I assume it's a similar procedure for the rear lights for the people who took them apart to black out the chrome trim inside or to modify anything else.

I wonder if there is a chemical to make the reverse sections clear again (if those can even be removed individually from the housing without hacking everything up) as I am not a fan of using non-oem materials (like some people use to make their own clear side reflectors on the front bumper or to clear out the 95-96 lights that seemed to be very common back several years ago, not so much today. It just looks cheap in my opinion.
Old 03-25-17, 09:40 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Yup, people do that all the time with SC and other Lexus lights as well. I baked my front headlights when I took them apart to do a TSX projector retrofit. Not difficult to do at all.

I assume it's a similar procedure for the rear lights for the people who took them apart to black out the chrome trim inside or to modify anything else.

I wonder if there is a chemical to make the reverse sections clear again (if those can even be removed individually from the housing without hacking everything up) as I am not a fan of using non-oem materials (like some people use to make their own clear side reflectors on the front bumper or to clear out the 95-96 lights that seemed to be very common back several years ago, not so much today. It just looks cheap in my opinion.
The reverse lens and amber portions clip in to place if I remember correctly.
Old 03-25-17, 09:49 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Yup, people do that all the time with SC and other Lexus lights as well. I baked my front headlights when I took them apart to do a TSX projector retrofit. Not difficult to do at all..
Interesting and good to know. I wasn't sure if the Nissan guys were holding a trade secret or not
Old 03-25-17, 05:56 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
Oh man, didn't mean it offensively. I'm sorry if i came off as a douche, was just trying to give a bit of constructive criticism, but it's not my car, and you're right, you should do what makes you happy. People will always complain about anything you do to your car, same happened with my build over the years with my turbo SC. People questioning why I was dumping stupid money into a car that's worth just a couple grand. I really do like your car, so I check this thread often for updates. Looking forward to seeing the new wheels you're going with.
no offense taken. Seriously. I was at a bar earlier and a guy outside was snapping photos of my car. It was cool. I didn't mean for it to happen. He just thought (I'm assuming) that it was an awesome car and took some pics of it. My buddy nudged me and I saw it happening. I smiled. I hope the photos surface here somewhere.
Old 03-25-17, 06:10 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Jim, I like it. She's come along way!
Old 03-25-17, 07:25 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Why do you want to put on brand new lights?

Don't get me wrong, I like new stuff too, but that's a waste of money. The only argument I can make for brand new taillights is if the reverse sections were not yellowed and pure white. But every new set of lights I've seen pictures of also looked yellow to me.

I may be wrong because I have not seen new lights in person, but on pics they all look yellow, used or new. I can correct any set of lights to look absolutely brand new to have not a single scratch, swirl mark, hologram, nothing. Good enough for me. A little yellow aint never hurt nobody.
Yeah, they always have been yellow, check these manufacturer photos below:

The following users liked this post:
97-SC300 (03-25-17)
Old 03-25-17, 11:10 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

no offense taken. Seriously. I was at a bar earlier and a guy outside was snapping photos of my car. It was cool. I didn't mean for it to happen. He just thought (I'm assuming) that it was an awesome car and took some pics of it. My buddy nudged me and I saw it happening. I smiled. I hope the photos surface here somewhere.
I've only seen 1 photo of my car surface online after all these years and it was kind of depressing. It was a black and white photo of my car in an empty parking lot parked under a light in a dimly lit parking lot.

Usually when I meet the people that take pictures of my car they only ask for my instagram name.

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Yeah, they always have been yellow, check these manufacturer photos below:
This is what new vs used looks like.
Old 03-26-17, 06:13 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I've only seen 1 photo of my car surface online after all these years and it was kind of depressing. It was a black and white photo of my car in an empty parking lot parked under a light in a dimly lit parking lot.

Usually when I meet the people that take pictures of my car they only ask for my instagram name.

This is what new vs used looks like.
Interesting. Wonder if they changed for ~'99-00? The example photos above are of '97s and sure look yellow like the top tail light.
Old 03-26-17, 07:03 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Got me curious , just checked all my 6 SCs which all have the newer tail lights. Even the ones from 99 and 00 are yellowish / darker . Do they probably turn yellowish after some use because of the heat ?
Old 03-26-17, 07:20 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Interesting. Wonder if they changed for ~'99-00? The example photos above are of '97s and sure look yellow like the top tail light.
The angle of the photos make it really hard to photograph the difference. Then once you consider the type of photo editing lexus used in the 90's it completely throws off the the color.

Originally Posted by gerrb
Got me curious , just checked all my 6 SCs which all have the newer tail lights. Even the ones from 99 and 00 are yellowish / darker . Do they probably turn yellowish after some use because of the heat ?
Correct. They turn yellow with time from UV exposure. Similar to how the headlights will yellow with time. Unfortunately, the reverse light is textured, so the usual method of wet sanding, polishing, and coating the lights won't work to restore them.
Old 03-26-17, 07:23 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by gerrb
I just order a brand new set so I'll let you know how they look. As for discoloration over time, could be heat, could be the bulb inside, could be ****ty plastic used... I dunno. hopefully these stay clear for a long time.

Quick Reply: Jimmy Mac 1999 SC300