Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Jimmy Mac 1999 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-18, 08:38 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymac30

Jim, where did you get or where did you have this great custom two gauge panel below the stereo made? I've been interested in something like that for some time and this one looks like it's made to be direct bolt-in to replace the entire factory ashtray, DC port and retractable lid. Very clean!! And are the two spots for 52mm (2 & 1/16") gauges or are they a slightly larger diameter?

Old 03-24-18, 06:16 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Jimmy - Thanks for the info . That ECUMaster looks like a good ecu with that E85 flex fuel capabilities . What model is it again ? I will look into it since I want to learn how to tune every ECUs used on JZ.

yeah, just don't slam on the gears of that W58 on high boosts and it will get you through a while. As we have always mentioned before with a good healthy stock GE engine .. it can do you wonders boosted without even touching and building it. +500rwhp on the street is a lot of power . Not a lot of cars will have that anyway .

Enjoy your boosted car !
Old 03-24-18, 06:59 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Jimmy - Thanks for the info . That ECUMaster looks like a good ecu with that E85 flex fuel capabilities . What model is it again ? I will look into it since I want to learn how to tune every ECUs used on JZ.

yeah, just don't slam on the gears of that W58 on high boosts and it will get you through a while. As we have always mentioned before with a good healthy stock GE engine .. it can do you wonders boosted without even touching and building it. +500rwhp on the street is a lot of power . Not a lot of cars will have that anyway .

Enjoy your boosted car !
thanks Gerry! The ecu I have is the ecumaster black. I went with this over the “emu classic” because it has more aux ports and built in can network. I use the BTI gauge (soon to be multiple) and in order to get the classic to use can network an additional module was necessary. I wanted simplicity. I also wanted the best bang for the buck. I think my ecu was $1099 if I remember correctly. Originally I was looking at aem and proefi but after talks big to a couple guys who had ecumaster, I was confident this would work for me.

In regards to the w58... it’ll be ok for now. I don’t drive crazy and slam gears like my younger years. I’ll save some cash over the summer and this winter probably do a T56 based on several recommendations. Joel Grannas makes a great kit.
Old 03-24-18, 07:10 PM
sc3757
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build man. I just finished gathering all of my T56 stuff. I'll work up the courage to document it up here soon.
Old 03-25-18, 08:02 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by sc3757
Awesome build man. I just finished gathering all of my T56 stuff. I'll work up the courage to document it up here soon.
awesome. I’m excited to see what you do!
Old 03-28-18, 08:31 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Met up with Art “misofst” and had some dinner. Was a lot of fun. His 1jzgte r154 swap is legit!! Love that car! We also tried some work meisters on his car but they rubbed a little bit.
Old 03-28-18, 11:04 PM
KahnBB6

Love seeing these two side by side! One wingless and one with the flat tail. One with the big block and the other with the small block. Both testaments to how versatile the platform is in all respects

Also, I've always liked that style of five spoke wheel on Misofst's car. I've forgotten the model name at this point but very nice to see them on an SC! Thanks for sharing, Jim!
Old 03-29-18, 10:29 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Meisters look perfect on any sc. Thanks for sharing the pics. It is always nice to see clean examples of SCs.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Also, I've always liked that style of five spoke wheel on Misofst's car. I've forgotten the model name at this point but very nice to see them on an SC! Thanks for sharing, Jim!
I think those are enkei rp01.
Old 03-29-18, 05:01 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Love seeing these two side by side! One wingless and one with the flat tail. One with the big block and the other with the small block. Both testaments to how versatile the platform is in all respects

Enkei RP-01 19”
Old 03-29-18, 05:07 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Looking good Jimmy!

I loved my Meisters but they were not hooking for ****** on a 275/35 tire on a bpu GTE setup. I still miss them but they would be useless.

I wish Work would offer them with a higher offset....that would be VERY nice.
Old 03-29-18, 06:14 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Craig,
here’s the other gauge pod AutoExtrude offers.

The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (04-01-18)
Old 04-01-18, 01:33 AM
KahnBB6

^^ Thanks for posting about this, Jim! That's a very clean gauge mount. Did you keep air conditioning on your car? If so, how well does the air blow from that gauge/vent?

I've contacted AutoExtrude about their ashtray two gauge bezel options with a couple of special requests that they're willing to do for me: move the two 52mm gauge mounts to the left side of the panel and put the DC +12V port on the right just as it is on the factory bezel. I mentioned doing a mostly flat gauge mounting surface since I want to use flush mount bezel VDO Vision Black 52mm gauges but that doesn't seem to be necessary, he says. I'm impressed by their catalog of products for many popular Toyotas and their willingness to work with special requests! Thank you for bringing them to our attention!

Also, I asked whether or not there were plans for some way to repurpose the center cupholder which isn't very useful with manual transmission SC's. No plans yet but the lead fellow sounded interested if only a good idea of what to do with it could be hit upon.
Old 04-01-18, 04:06 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive been contemplating on which ECU to upgrade to.I've been on same aem v1 since 2008 and car runs suburb thanks mainly to alpha at induction tuning skills but feel its time for a upgrade to faster ECU with failsafes and flexfuel..

Hows drivability and hot and cold starts etc. Can you shoot quick video of cold start and idle and post..

Alpha actually likes this ECU in fact over aem infinity 6
Old 04-01-18, 07:26 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexforlife
Ive been contemplating on which ECU to upgrade to.I've been on same aem v1 since 2008 and car runs suburb thanks mainly to alpha at induction tuning skills but feel its time for a upgrade to faster ECU with failsafes and flexfuel..

Hows drivability and hot and cold starts etc. Can you shoot quick video of cold start and idle and post..

Alpha actually likes this ECU in fact over aem infinity 6
sure, I’d be happy to post a video. I’ll try and get that done today or tomorrow for you. Initially cold starts were a problem but I have been dialing them in. Some factors are: E85 gasoline, 1200cc injectors, sub 40 degree weather. I have been slowly changing the cold start enrichment to be suitable for me. On 93 octane it is much better. e85 does not emit gas vapors below 40 degrees which is necessary to start the car. So on e85 below 40 degrees it takes a little longer to start. Otherwise, idle is smooth as silk hot or cold. I am happy with the ecu. There are A LOT more setting and fine tuning than a V1 for sure.
Old 04-08-18, 12:17 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Had a chance to get the car out on the road today. It was a little cold but the car drove great. Decided to try the car out on pump gas and see how it drives since the car runs flex fuel. We shall see.

Quick Reply: Jimmy Mac 1999 SC300