Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Jimmy Mac 1999 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 12:29 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That last pic.... these new Lexus models have changed so much since the old days, your car does not even look like a Lexus sitting next to them.
Old 04-08-18, 08:28 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ I feel this is a good thing. It's such a contrast of classic Lexus and new Lexus and to me it's Jim's car in that picture that looks the most "Lexus" of the bunch. I know what you mean though and one can't deny how the general look of the brand has changed over the years.

The main difference between the 90's models and today's models to me is that each coupe, sedan or SUV was given its own individual personality, especially in the front end... except that you STILL knew it was a Lexus. This could be said for nearly all brands today. The SC could not be mistaken for any other model whereas at certain angles and long distances I can't tell a 2018+ ES apart from a 2018+ IS... or, from a long distance, the LS from the GS. They all have the same general front ends.

I think I am seeing a burgandy RC350 as the third car to the left of Jim's SC but I can't be sure it isn't an IS200t/350.

Don't get me wrong-- I've yet to see a Lexus that I wasn't impressed by in terms of quality and beautiful presentation but when you sit a modern one next to a nice 90's SC, 98-05 GS, early IS or 90's LS400 there is a much more pronounced sense of individuality in each model which are still unmistakably the models of a certain brand. The LFA and LC500 are two unique exceptions as well as maybe RC based on its overall shape.

Also, Jim I love how the ashtray gauge panel turned out! You've inspired me to get one of my own from him, although it will be slightly different.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-08-18 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-09-18, 05:36 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ I feel this is a good thing. It's such a contrast of classic Lexus and new Lexus and to me it's Jim's car in that picture that looks the most "Lexus" of the bunch. I know what you mean though and one can't deny how the general look of the brand has changed over the years.

The main difference between the 90's models and today's models to me is that each coupe, sedan or SUV was given its own individual personality, especially in the front end... except that you STILL knew it was a Lexus. This could be said for nearly all brands today. The SC could not be mistaken for any other model whereas at certain angles and long distances I can't tell a 2018+ ES apart from a 2018+ IS... or, from a long distance, the LS from the GS. They all have the same general front ends.

I think I am seeing a burgandy RC350 as the third car to the left of Jim's SC but I can't be sure it isn't an IS200t/350.

Don't get me wrong-- I've yet to see a Lexus that I wasn't impressed by in terms of quality and beautiful presentation but when you sit a modern one next to a nice 90's SC, 98-05 GS, early IS or 90's LS400 there is a much more pronounced sense of individuality in each model which are still unmistakably the models of a certain brand. The LFA and LC500 are two unique exceptions as well as maybe RC based on its overall shape.

Also, Jim I love how the ashtray gauge panel turned out! You've inspired me to get one of my own from him, although it will be slightly different.
thanks Craig! Yeah, AutoExtrude and I are working on a few different projects for gauge mounting. Hopefully he will have some new creations based on feedback from owners like myself.

The burgundy car is an ES350, which proves your point exactly. Lol they have all started to look VERY similar. The older cars definitely had a uniqueness to them. Their own identity if you will.

I can say this with certainty, I love my car. But there is a lot to be said for modern day technology in the new cars. The Mark Levinson sound systems are amazing. Led triple beam headlights. If I could get an affordable lease, I would have an RCF right now. Nothing like the sound of that V8 and a 50,000 mile warranty lol
Old 04-09-18, 11:17 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by jimmymac30

thanks Craig! Yeah, AutoExtrude and I are working on a few different projects for gauge mounting. Hopefully he will have some new creations based on feedback from owners like myself.

That's great news! I can't wait to see what you both have come up with! I asked him if he had any plans to repurpose the cup holder assembly just behind the shifter and threw out some ideas and variations hoping it would inspire him for the future. There are several areas of untapped potential for a custom panel or insert.

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
The burgundy car is an ES350, which proves your point exactly. Lol they have all started to look VERY similar. The older cars definitely had a uniqueness to them. Their own identity if you will.

I can say this with certainty, I love my car. But there is a lot to be said for modern day technology in the new cars. The Mark Levinson sound systems are amazing. Led triple beam headlights. If I could get an affordable lease, I would have an RCF right now. Nothing like the sound of that V8 and a 50,000 mile warranty lol

Wow! That I was able to confuse two totally different models that easily... I feel like brands giving their models more individual identity may become a thing again though. Eventually.

I agree with you that there is a lot of modern technology to like in new cars (and some modern tech not so much but it varies, depending). The Mark Levinson systems are brilliant, yes. Modern headlight systems too. The RCF is a beautiful and impressive car. Love its V8 and that it has an optional (or is it standard?) Torsen LSD. Of course I still wish they'd offer it with a 6-speed M/T All the RC's are heavy but even the RC200t (with the optional Torsen package) is a really nice RWD coupe based on looks alone.
Old 04-19-18, 05:24 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm looking forward to this weather breaking so that we can start the SC's and coffee again. This car has changed so much since the fall. Congrats on a phenomenal build, Jimmy!
Old 04-21-18, 04:45 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
I'm looking forward to this weather breaking so that we can start the SC's and coffee again. This car has changed so much since the fall. Congrats on a phenomenal build, Jimmy!
I can’t agree with you more. The weather looks like it is FINALLY coming around! I’ll be around this summer. Not sure how many SC’s and coffee I can make with my son’s baseball and hockey schedule but I’ll try.

Also, my car was featured on an IG web series. If you guys get a chance, check it out and follow him. He writes about some really cool cars!
Old 04-23-18, 04:12 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

I’ll never get tired of taking pictures of this car.
Old 04-23-18, 09:41 PM
KahnBB6

^^ That's good, because I never tire of seeing it!

More than pictures, though, how about coming up with plenty of excuses to drive it? ;D
Old 04-24-18, 03:18 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ That's good, because I never tire of seeing it!

More than pictures, though, how about coming up with plenty of excuses to drive it? ;D
ive put 400 miles on it so far this year! That’s a lot for me considering I live 1.3 miles from work!! Lol
Old 04-24-18, 08:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Looking good Jim!
Old 04-26-18, 06:57 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow. Looking good man.
Old 04-28-18, 04:07 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Jim - glad you are enjoying your boosted car ! It doesn't stop there , it is addictive . I wonder how long it will stay at that power .

I might have missed the following info on your engine. I am trying to decipher the quench / squish & final compression on that engine you currently have since I would like to experiment on the GE stuff and performance parts I have laying around !

I know you have a pre 95 stock short block and a vvti head ....

a) did you ever get the vvti head or block decked / milled ?
If yes , how much was taken out for each ?
If not , I assume both have never been touched or worked on before you got them ...meaning the vvti head still have the .025" recess and block the .005" piston to deck clearance ?

b) you did use the TT head gasket right ?

Last edited by gerrb; 04-28-18 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-28-18, 06:19 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by gerrb
Jim - glad you are enjoying your boosted car ! It doesn't stop there , it is addictive . I wonder how long it will stay at that power .

I might have missed the following info on your engine. I am trying to decipher the quench / squish & final compression on that engine you currently have since I would like to experiment on the GE stuff and performance parts I have laying around !

I know you have a pre 95 stock short block and a vvti head ....

a) did you ever get the vvti head or block decked / milled ?
If yes , how much was taken out for each ?
If not , I assume both have never been touched or worked on before you got them ...meaning the vvti head still have the .025" recess and block the .005" piston to deck clearance ?

b) you did use the TT head gasket right ?
Gerry!!! YEs, I’m enjoying the car. Went for quite a cruise today and enjoyed every minute of it! As for my engine... it is a stock 1992 short block. That was untouched except cleaning the tops of the pistons. The head was sent out and cleaned and was decked. .010” was taken off. I used an OEM TT head gasket and arp studs. I don’t know exactly what that gives me for overall compression ratio. I’m sure there’s a calculation to figure it out. With better E85 making its way to Chicago (winter blend has much less ethanol) the car is making nearly 22lbs of boost and it is SO much fun. Lol
I don’t beat on the car but I certainly put it through its paces and (knock on wood) the W58 isn’t giving me any issues and it’s near 600whp and 520wtq. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-01-18, 05:08 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Thanks Jim . Your compression is around 9.2:1 because of the .075" squish .

A healthy stock pre vvti short block with the vvti head is a great setup . One can even use the stock vvti intake with a treadstone exhaust manifold. Can easily get into the 750rwhp without breaking the bank. I would suggest milling the head .035" to get a squish / quench of .055" with a TT head gasket to get more power then replace all bolts and studs with ARP hardware . Compression will be somewhere around 9.35:1 . It will be a very cost effective boosted engine.

Enjoy buddy ... just don't hammer that W58 !
Old 05-04-18, 04:35 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by gerrb
Thanks Jim . Your compression is around 9.2:1 because of the .075" squish .

A healthy stock pre vvti short block with the vvti head is a great setup . One can even use the stock vvti intake with a treadstone exhaust manifold. Can easily get into the 750rwhp without breaking the bank. I would suggest milling the head .035" to get a squish / quench of .055" with a TT head gasket to get more power then replace all bolts and studs with ARP hardware . Compression will be somewhere around 9.35:1 . It will be a very cost effective boosted engine.

Enjoy buddy ... just don't hammer that W58 !
I will 100% trust your math and homework on my “squish” numbers lol. I understand the idea, but I have no clue how .055” squish = 9.2:1 haha. But I believe you!

as for the W58, it is holding up strong so far. I don’t slam gears or neutral drop the car. I drive it hard though. It has almost 700 miles on it now since completion.

I finally got my a/c working last night. My AUX terminal was not set correctly in my ecu so it wouldn’t send the signal to the magnet clutch relay. All fixed and now i have ice cold air! Will be perfect for that trip you and I are taking to Florida!!!

If I do actually make that trip I am going to really miss my cruise control though.

Quick Reply: Jimmy Mac 1999 SC300