Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

1991 Toyota Aristo in the United States (Legally!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 02:22 AM
DetAristo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Build is stalled for the moment. Trying to find a house before winter and it's proving difficult.

Once I have a house, the priority is getting heat into the garage so I can pull the engine/trans and start the engine build.
Old 10-06-16, 07:00 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We're literally in the same situation but my Aristo hasn't even been shipped yet. Personally I'm kind of considering a wood burning stove for the garage. I don't know if thats even legal anymore though.
Old 10-06-16, 01:13 PM
DetAristo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mandrake
We're literally in the same situation but my Aristo hasn't even been shipped yet. Personally I'm kind of considering a wood burning stove for the garage. I don't know if thats even legal anymore though.
I am fairly certain it is. My house up in Northern Michigan was heated nearly exclusively with a wood-burner.

I am sort of frustrated. On one hand, I have nearly everything to break 1,000hp and be reliable.

On the other hand, I am kind of drawn towards the VIP/Low life. The money that I have in parts for this engine would go a long ways to building a pretty admirable cruiser.
Old 10-06-16, 06:14 PM
boosted6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I'm kind of considering a wood burning stove for the garage.
You can make or buy a nice little pot belly fire place, just run a flu/pipe from the heater up to the roof and your garage will be warm in no time.
We use them here in australia at farms in big open sheds.

Originally Posted by DetAristo
I am sort of frustrated. On one hand, I have nearly everything to break 1,000hp and be reliable.
On the other hand, I am kind of drawn towards the VIP/Low life. The money that I have in parts for this engine would go a long ways to building a pretty admirable cruiser.
Would be a good idea to have a 3bar map sensor on your ecu so you can run different fuel maps.
One map would be for cruising, good for fuel etc, but with the flick of a switch you can run the other map which would have everything turned up for a weekend drag strip run or a track event, etc.

1000hp sounds nice but would it be nice to drive? Have it tuned for the best torque and that it's able to actually put the power to the ground...lots of cars have big HP, but they can't transfer that power to the ground very well.
I would go for around 550hp-600hp for a street tune..i'm sure your ecu would have an overboost feature..so if your normal boost pressure would be say 22psi...you could hit a button for a 10second boost increase from 22psi up to say 28psi.

Looking forward to seeing how your build goes..will you be fitting a body kit or anything like that?

Last edited by boosted6; 10-06-16 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-06-16, 06:22 PM
DetAristo
Rookie

Originally Posted by boosted6
Would be a good idea to have a 3bar map sensor on your ecu so you can run different fuel maps.
One map would be for cruising, good for fuel etc, but with the flick of a switch you can run the other map which would have everything turned up for a weekend drag strip run or a track event, etc.

1000hp sounds nice but would it be nice to drive? Have it tuned for the best torque and that it's able to actually put the power to the ground...lots of cars have big HP, but they can't transfer that power to the ground very well.
I would go for around 550hp-600hp for a street tune..i'm sure your ecu would have an overboost feature..so if your normal boost pressure would be say 22psi...you could hit a button for a 10second boost increase from 22psi up to say 28psi.
I have a ProEFI full standalone with a 5-position switch for maps, flex-fuel sensor for adaptive fueling, rolling anti-lag, and a ton of other crap. I will only run E85. It isn't a daily driver, it's not even a once a week driver. Low boost will be 20 or so, with high-boost on E85 coming in around 40pis or so. I should have the fuel to handle it. I guess we shall see! haha.
Old 10-07-16, 07:08 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

I am fairly certain it is. My house up in Northern Michigan was heated nearly exclusively with a wood-burner.

Why not do both? I think I'm going to play with the Aristo for a few years until it becomes legal to import a Toyota Crown Majesta.

That is if I don't find a Eunos Cosmo and waste all my money on that. Lord knows that'll be a money pit.
Old 10-07-16, 06:00 PM
boosted6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah the Cosmo's, been in one once years ago, the 20B sounded awesome with twin snails, trippy interior also.

I have a ProEFI full standalone with a 5-position switch for maps, flex-fuel sensor for adaptive fueling, rolling anti-lag, and a ton of other crap. I will only run E85. It isn't a daily driver, it's not even a once a week driver. Low boost will be 20 or so, with high-boost on E85 coming in around 40pis or so. I should have the fuel to handle it. I guess we shall see! haha.
Sounds awesome can't wait to see it when its done. : )

Can you imagine what 40psi will sound like?
Old 10-10-16, 07:09 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Originally Posted by boosted6
Sounds awesome can't wait to see it when its done. : )

Can you imagine what 40psi will sound like?
40 PSI is a equivalent to an 8.28 liter engine. O_O
Old 10-10-16, 07:39 AM
LSR83
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks to be an awesome project!
**subscribed**
Old 10-10-16, 08:31 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Subscribing as well. I've always loved this gen Aristo. Something about these classic shapes I love.
Old 10-10-16, 08:55 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice work, looks like a quality build.
Old 10-10-16, 05:20 PM
DetAristo
Rookie

Thank you all. It's certainly a unique challenge. Finding quality aftermarket parts is proving a bit difficult.

Let's not mention finding OEM replacements. I am putting in the hours of detective work replacing worn out items. It's 25 years old, so there's bound to be things that need replacing.

Old 10-11-16, 07:30 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Thank you all. It's certainly a unique challenge. Finding quality aftermarket parts is proving a bit difficult.

Let's not mention finding OEM replacements. I am putting in the hours of detective work replacing worn out items. It's 25 years old, so there's bound to be things that need replacing.
There's a guy over on The Car Lounge (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-how-this-goes) who imported a twin turbo Nissan Cedric. He found a website where he can purchase aftermarket parts from popular online Japanese retailers for a small mark-up. Is that what you're doing? I had actually intended to just get Lexus GS300 parts for everything but the motor and then Supra parts for the motor. I figured that'd be fairly easy since there's tons of Supra aftermarket stuff available.

What are you having troubles finding?

He said he recommends http://www.jauce.com/ for an agent to import from Yahoo Auctions Japan. If you haven't browsed it, give it a try. You can auto-translate in Google Chrome. I can read Japanese so its fairly easy for me to find parts on there and I have a Japanese bank account so its not that hard to pay. The hard part is convincing the sellers to ship internationally because they have to actually go to the post office and sign a customs declaration. They can't just print off the shipping label and drop it off. That's where the agents come in handy.

He also recommends Zenmarket.jp and 'Yokohama Motors'. Zenmarket.jp has a 300 yen markup per item instead of the $20 flat fee that Jauce has. He recommends 'Jesse Streeter' for wheels because its a $20 flat fee for each set.
Old 10-11-16, 07:42 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

love the plate!!!
Old 10-11-16, 07:47 AM
DetAristo
Rookie

There's a guy over on The Car Lounge (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-how-this-goes) who imported a twin turbo Nissan Cedric. He found a website where he can purchase aftermarket parts from popular online Japanese retailers for a small mark-up. Is that what you're doing? I had actually intended to just get Lexus GS300 parts for everything but the motor and then Supra parts for the motor. I figured that'd be fairly easy since there's tons of Supra aftermarket stuff available.
LOTS of the GS300 parts (as far as OEM replacement) do not fit. For example, the windshield. If anything happens to this windshield, I am screwed.

What are you having troubles finding?
I need the heater selector valve on the firewall with the bracket. I need the rear parcel shelf. I am looking for an OEM shifter. Just random bits and pieces.
He said he recommends http://www.jauce.com/ for an agent to import from Yahoo Auctions Japan. If you haven't browsed it, give it a try. You can auto-translate in Google Chrome. I can read Japanese so its fairly easy for me to find parts on there and I have a Japanese bank account so its not that hard to pay. The hard part is convincing the sellers to ship internationally because they have to actually go to the post office and sign a customs declaration. They can't just print off the shipping label and drop it off. That's where the agents come in handy.

He also recommends Zenmarket.jp and 'Yokohama Motors'. Zenmarket.jp has a 300 yen markup per item instead of the $20 flat fee that Jauce has. He recommends 'Jesse Streeter' for wheels because its a $20 flat fee for each set.
I will absolutely check them out. I am not afraid of a little markup for rarity. I know how rare these first-gen Aristos are becoming and that most manufacturers have stopped making parts. The 98-07 is far, far more popular.

Thanks man. For the info. It is greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: 1991 Toyota Aristo in the United States (Legally!)