Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 07:47 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My rear parcel shelf basically did the same thing when we cut the hole for the port. I ended up fiber glassing it back together. It's hard as a rock now.

Shane
Old 09-15-17, 12:21 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmith
My rear parcel shelf basically did the same thing when we cut the hole for the port. I ended up fiber glassing it back together. It's hard as a rock now.

Shane
Thanks for the pictures. I'll most likely end up doing the same later on down the line.

Which RCA cables are you using in your car? I was playing with the wiring some more last night after I posted and it seems like one of my RCA terminals is creating the noise. I'm using Knukonceptz Krystal RCA cables. The one that is making noise was installed in my accord before, so it's over 10 years old. I might try a ground loop isolator to see if it fixes the problem before I buy new RCA to run.

I also broke my metra kit for the dash yesterday, so I have to find a new mounting solution. I was never a fan of the plastic mounts, but it did the job for 6 years now. So many old car problems... oh well
Old 09-15-17, 01:03 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Regarding that plastic Metra dash kit, there was a write-up somewhere in this forum on modifying the factory metal frame to use with the Metra kit to eliminate the flimsiness. I did it on my previous SC300 and it worked really well (just involved a little bit of cutting with a dremmel wheel). Unfortunately, I don't have the link handy.

EDIT:
Found it. It's under "C"...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ead-units.html
Old 09-15-17, 03:56 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Regarding that plastic Metra dash kit, there was a write-up somewhere in this forum on modifying the factory metal frame to use with the Metra kit to eliminate the flimsiness. I did it on my previous SC300 and it worked really well (just involved a little bit of cutting with a dremmel wheel). Unfortunately, I don't have the link handy.

EDIT:
Found it. It's under "C"...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ead-units.html
Thanks, that was the exact thread I was going to look for. Only problem is that I'm not sure if I still have those metal brackets. I gave away my stock stereo a while ago to a local SC owner, so he could fix his car. I'm not sure if I included the brackets.
Old 09-15-17, 05:32 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I've got a spare set of stereo cage sides if you need them. I also took approach of modifying the Metra brackets to bolt up to the stock ones for support. It takes a bit of fine tuning to then get the stereo sitting exactly where you want it, but it seems worth the extra effort with how flimsy the Metra kit feels.

I'm impressed that you haven't unleashed a massive string of profanity after how many aggravations the speaker project produced.

@SSmith, that parcel shelf looks slick with the modified cutout for the port.
Old 09-16-17, 10:10 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

My car with JamesN's S14. I meant to take this picture when there was a white supra parked on the other side of my car, but he left before I remembered to.

Originally Posted by t2d2
I've got a spare set of stereo cage sides if you need them. I also took approach of modifying the Metra brackets to bolt up to the stock ones for support. It takes a bit of fine tuning to then get the stereo sitting exactly where you want it, but it seems worth the extra effort with how flimsy the Metra kit feels.

I'm impressed that you haven't unleashed a massive string of profanity after how many aggravations the speaker project produced.

@SSmith, that parcel shelf looks slick with the modified cutout for the port.
Thanks for the offer. I'm going to look for my brackets first. I have a pretty good idea of where it would be if I saved them.

I've broken so many parts on this car, that I just accept it and move on. Getting pissed off just makes me break more parts.
Old 09-18-17, 10:17 AM
SSmith
Instructor

I've used Stinger RCA's for years and never had any issues. I typically use all there product from Power and Ground wire, speaker wire, RCA's, etc. I've never had any issues. I'm running three JL Audio amps with an Alpine processor and have zero noise with them.

Shane
Old 09-18-17, 10:22 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Using the factory brackets with the Metra kit I think is a must. It's beyond stable with them and it doesn't take hardly anything to modify them to make them work.

Shane
Old 09-19-17, 11:27 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I've used Stinger RCA's for years and never had any issues. I typically use all there product from Power and Ground wire, speaker wire, RCA's, etc. I've never had any issues. I'm running three JL Audio amps with an Alpine processor and have zero noise with them.

Shane
Thanks, I'll look into Stinger RCA. I believe the relays, fuses, and wiring for my air suspension were from stinger.

I've been using knukonceptz wiring since I installed my first system 12 years ago. This is the first time I've ever had issues with it, but the RCA in question is old. I think the terminal end is damaged somehow because if I move that rca cable, then the noise is following that particular RCA terminal.

Using the factory brackets with the Metra kit I think is a must. It's beyond stable with them and it doesn't take hardly anything to modify them to make them work.

Shane
Yeah, I was unaware that people were doing this at the time I installed my double din. I've been meaning to install the metal bracket for years since the metra kit eliminates the rear mounting tabs which make the center console tend to rattle in my stiff car. It's always been one of those out of sight, out of mind situations. If I can find the brackets some time this week, then I'll fix it this weekend.
Old 09-22-17, 10:05 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Shane
I found my brackets, and I did this the other night. My bolts were too short, so I drilled out the indentations on the metal brackets, and installed the metal over the black plastic of the metra kit instead of underneath like in your photo. This setup is much more secure compared to the metra kit by itself. Oddly enough, all my buzzing noises went away after securing the head unit properly, and I have no idea how to explain that.
Old 09-22-17, 12:51 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

SC is looking flawless as always. I definitely need to get a double din HU. One thing I haven't had a chance to get around to on mine is the stereo, perhaps next year. lol.
Old 09-22-17, 05:04 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Oddly enough, all my buzzing noises went away after securing the head unit properly, and I have no idea how to explain that.
Could it be a grounding issue exacerbating something? With just the Metra kit, there'd be no metal-to-metal contact between the head unit's cage and the lower left mounting point with the ground strap.
Old 09-23-17, 09:07 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aswang
SC is looking flawless as always. I definitely need to get a double din HU. One thing I haven't had a chance to get around to on mine is the stereo, perhaps next year. lol.
My only complaints about my double din is that it doesn't have a physical volume **** and I can't read the screen during sunrise/sunset because of glare.

Originally Posted by t2d2
Could it be a grounding issue exacerbating something? With just the Metra kit, there'd be no metal-to-metal contact between the head unit's cage and the lower left mounting point with the ground strap.
It's possible, but I don't think so. If it was a grounding issue it should have made a lot more noise before I installed the rear speakers. When I had my single din with the metra kit and oem speakers I had the grounding issue like you mentioned (from not connecting to the lower strap). The noise was intolerable and I put it back to stock.

When I broke the metra kit last week, there were no mounting points at all, so the stereo was sitting in my dash with no mounts. The static would get louder when I moved the RCA terminals in the trunk at the amp side. My only theory for why the mounts would matter is because the RCA wires on the head unit side were sitting on top of all the wires behind the dash. Since the head unit is mounted properly now, the RCAs are elevated and not binding/sitting on top of other wires.

I'm going to leave it alone unless the sound starts getting worse. Every time I try to isolate a problem on this car I end up getting obsessed and replace everything.
Old 09-24-17, 03:50 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Always have admired your car and did not realize until reading this thread how much "sweat equity" and time you put in; fantastic.

My only complaints about my double din is that it doesn't have a physical volume **** and I can't read the screen during sunrise/sunset because of glare.
The only reason I went with an end of year Pioneer model instead of the newer one that came out was they did away with the volume ****..... So, **** there is.
Attached Thumbnails My indecisive 98 SC300 build-sc300-212.jpg  

Last edited by Duck05; 09-24-17 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 04:42 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Like Duck05, I wasn't willing to buy a 2-Din if it didn't have a physical volume ****. I lightly considered ones with up/down buttons, but that's a PITA way to do adjustments and even those are an afterthought with many manufacturers, not even being placed vertically for intuitive control.

The difficulty in viewing the display when washed out by the sun was my biggest concern in going touchscreen, and it was definitely confirmed. The slope of the SC dash really compounds it, to the point where it's tough to see pretty much any time the sun is out. I may have to get the windows tinted just to deal with that. I added window visors this year to address the cabin heat buildup, but tint is back on the menu.

Then there's the godawful boot up time... It's amazing what consumers gladly put up with as "progress" to get the new features that aren't offered in other packaging. I spent a year looking for alternatives to no avail.

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build