Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 01:37 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You can replace the grill with the bumper cover on. I did it on both my SC's. Getting to the phillips head screw in the middle is a little hard but doable.

Shane
Old 05-05-17, 07:30 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmith
You can replace the grill with the bumper cover on. I did it on both my SC's. Getting to the phillips head screw in the middle is a little hard but doable.

Shane
I tried this the day I got the grill. It was a tight fit for my hands and the screw drivers I have aren't short enough. I could always buy another set of short screw drivers and give it another try.
Old 05-06-17, 02:15 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SSmith

Shane
Attempted this again today with a 1/4" ratchet + Phillips head socket and got the grill off.

I'll take better photos in the morning.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 05-02-20 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 06:10 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Full front end photo with the grill

Installed my brand new 97+ tails with clear reverse lens

Got my titan sways and subframe mounts

Titan vs battle version

I'm still not sure why the previous owner drilled these holes out. The original holes line up perfectly with the titan mounts.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 05-02-20 at 11:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (07-07-20)
Old 05-23-17, 02:52 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I finally got around to attempting to install the subframe mounts. I kind of understand why the previous owner drilled out the BV mounts.

I'll start with a few issues that come with the install. On the passenger rear one of the brackets have to be removed for the subframe mount to sit flush to the chassis. these mounts have a much larger footprint than necessary. The bracket that is removed creates the clean spot on the right side.

On the driver side part of the frame has to be hammered out to add additional clearance for the mount to seat properly. The part that has to be hammered is on the bottom right

In both of the above pictures, you can see that there is 1 bolt that is off. I realized after that the way I placed the mounts, they had to be flipped. I originally installed them with the width of the sway bar bolt holes the farthest width a part. You want them to be the smaller width, so the sway bar bracket is positioned towards the center of the car.

After flipping them the position of the mounts got better, but there is still 1 bolt that doesn't fit (now a different position).
The passenger side is close enough, that I think if I drop the entire sub frame I would be able to reposition it to fit.

The driverside however is still very off.

I had to stop to go buy new hardware. The Titan mounts foot/base is about 10mm thicker than the oem mounts, so they require longer bolts. I think the thickness of the mounts is a larger factor in the bolt alignment issue.

For those of you who are attempting this the subframe bolts are M10x1.25x 35mm with a 5mm thick washer from the factory. I got a M10x1.25x 40mm bolt with standard fender washers. There are 4 bolts per mount, so 8 in total.

The bolts for the sway bar is M8x1.25x 15mm, and you'll need 2 per side. I bought 4 flanged bolts.

*Edit* gave it another try with the longer hardware, and I was able to get all 4 bolts in on the passenger side

Driver side is still off

I'm going to attempt to lower all 4 corners of the sub frame tomorrow to see if I can align the last bolt, but if not I have to decide between drilling out my nice new mounts or running it with 1 bolt less. Anyone have some tips or suggestions?

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 11-07-20 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 01:16 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I lowered the sub frame, and it was apparent that the last bolt wasn't going to line up. Instead of drilling out these brand new titan mounts I decided to install the battle versions since they were already drilled out.

The battle versions have a smaller footprint, so I was able to maintain the brackets I removed for the titan mounts, but it looks like the BV mounts were a lot more off than the titan mounts.

Passenger side

Driver side

Sway bar installed

I was able to take the car for a quick test drive. The solid mounts are LOUD, and I hate them already. I knew it was going to be loud and firmer, but I wasn't expecting this much of a change. I'm going to try and find the OEM supra mounts or have my stock mounts modified to fit the sway bar mounts like another member did.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 11-07-20 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 06:57 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very odd that the mounts are off that much...the OEM Supra mounts install perfectly from my personal experience on 2x cars. Good luck in locating some! I heard they are discontinued but they are still floating sround out there....I found some about 4 months ago
Old 05-24-17, 07:28 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mteele
Very odd that the mounts are off that much...the OEM Supra mounts install perfectly from my personal experience on 2x cars. Good luck in locating some! I heard they are discontinued but they are still floating sround out there....I found some about 4 months ago
Thanks, I've heard at least 1 of the OEM mounts are discontinued as well. That's why I didn't bother searching for them and went with the solid mounts. Were you able to find yours new or used?

If I can't locate the oem mounts, then I'm going to have the sway bar plates cut and welded on to my original mounts. Similar to what Boergy did in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post9759947
Old 05-25-17, 08:58 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found them new from Toyota actually!
Old 05-25-17, 09:21 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mteele
I found them new from Toyota actually!
Would you happen to still know the part numbers? From what I've found the passenger mount for 93-96 Supra TT models is discontinued, but both are still available for the 97-98 Supra TT.

93-96 Supra
Passenger 52205-14020 (Discontinued)
Driver 52206-14010

97-98 Supra
Passenger 52205-14040
Driver 52206-14030

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 05-25-17 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-30-17, 04:43 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

My friend that is going to be making the plates for me to mount the sway bar asked me for a CAD file. I used the titan mount as my template for the plate, but while doing measurements I noticed that the mounts are drilled differently from side to side. On one side the portion between the two holes measures 14.68mm and the other it measured 19.90mm. After looking at the OEM mounts both sides were roughly 14.75mm. That explains why so much material has to be removed in order for the last bolt to fit in.

*Edit* I just saw these pictures of my car from a recent meet.

The rest of the photos from the meet are here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...ml#post9881513

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 05-30-17 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (07-07-20)
Old 05-30-17, 06:30 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you feel Day and night differences after the mounts?
Old 05-30-17, 07:12 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ross3857
Do you feel Day and night differences after the mounts?
On smooth roads I don't even notice them. On bad roads, it's incredibly annoying to me, but I think I'm starting to get used to it. I recently drove on the 57 freeway (if you're familiar with socal), and the ride was nauseating. I used to drive this route every day when I was in college with the HKS hipermax coils. I used to think that was uncomfortable until I experienced my current setup. lol

Overall, the combination of sways + mounts handles great. The car feels a lot more stable at higher speeds and the rear end is much more stable.
Old 05-31-17, 06:07 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

You didn't get the back-in parking memo.
Old 05-31-17, 06:52 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
You didn't get the back-in parking memo.
HAHA I noticed that after you mentioned it!

Car is looking great man. Any reason you decided to get solid rear subframe mounts? Not sure if I missed the reasoning.

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build