Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 07:34 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
When I looked at the parts diagram (after you posted), there was a seal for the entire tray if you drop the headliner to remove the sunroof.
My memory may be off (it's been 2 years since I played with that), but I think that's more of an adhesive gasket than a seal.
Old 03-20-19, 04:38 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
When I picked up my SC4, the rear drivers side window assembly wasn't sealed correctly (I guess it had been replaced before and they used the wrong type of sealant, according to the bodyshop guys that repainted my car) and I could hear cars driving next to me along with excessive wind noise. Though that's probably something pretty rare to happen.
I'm pretty sure my rear windows are original, but that's an interesting fact to know.

Originally Posted by t2d2
My memory may be off (it's been 2 years since I played with that), but I think that's more of an adhesive gasket than a seal.
I'm not really sure what it looks like since I've never dropped the sunroof before. I was basing my reply off of looking at parts diagrams.
Old 03-31-19, 09:31 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Gave the car a nice wash to get it ready for cars and coffee with the SC family

I didn't take a lot of pictures, but these were 2 of my favorites

Decided to take the slow way home like some of the other attendees

Old 04-23-19, 11:24 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Nick got me these Lexus wipers with the little L logo since he knows I like attention to details. The only issue with these wipers is that I have to use 20" blades on both sides. The factory Lexus ones are 21" and 20"

Part number for the 20" blades are 85212-YZZ2E-LX

I haven't had a lot of time to work on my own car. I still have those JDM side markers and OG status retrofit waiting to go in. I try to wash the car once a month and take it out to some meet/event. I don't want the car to end up like my friend's SCs that just sit in storage.

My friend Vinh sent me a picture of his SC because he drove it for the first time in years (other than moving it out of the way).

Went to go help my friend Minh diagnose some problems on his W58 swapped sc400 (another storage queen).

I got a lot of the missing accessories for my wheels, but the wheels still aren't done.
Old 04-23-19, 11:39 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I forgot I never posted this. I ordered these Advan TC4 in BMG (Black Metallic Gunmetal) around Christmas of last year. They came in around mid to end of February.

18x9 +35 20.2 lbs
18x10 +35 21.4lbs

Plenty or brake clearance (supra tt)

I had some leftover Cquarts UK 3.0, so I applied them to the wheels

I still need to get tires mounted on them, but wheels with tires mounted will take up more space in my garage. My friend told me he will buy them from me when I'm bored of them, but seems like he's changing his mind lately.
Old 04-24-19, 08:07 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow, those are light for 18" wheels. I'm looking forward to see them mounted up with tires. I love me: a) some 5-stars, and b) dark wheels on a light colored car. I'm actually getting some new tires today and switching up the summer and winter wheels, putting the re-painted black Supra TT wheels on the white '98 with meatier tread.

That makes me sad that such nice SCs are becoming garage queens.
Old 04-24-19, 01:38 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Love the wheels - I'll be curious to see everything mounted up and sitting on the ground.

Sidenote- that red manual SC4 makes me feel all kinds of tingly things
Old 04-24-19, 08:04 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
Wow, those are light for 18" wheels. I'm looking forward to see them mounted up with tires. I love me: a) some 5-stars, and b) dark wheels on a light colored car. I'm actually getting some new tires today and switching up the summer and winter wheels, putting the re-painted black Supra TT wheels on the white '98 with meatier tread.

That makes me sad that such nice SCs are becoming garage queens.
I'm really happy with the quality of the wheels. My only complaint is the options of sizes they offer. I wanted to run a 10 and 11 setup, but all the sizes are too aggressive. My old TE37SL had the same sizing problem.

It's hard to find light weight and strong wheels in "supra specs" to run super wide tires.

There is nothing wrong with them being garage queens. I'm more surprised that all of us still own them. We were all around 20 years old when we got them and most of us have had our cars for over a decade now. Everyone in the group has gone through multiple cars, but only the SC owners still have the same cars from when we first met. Everyone else sold and replaced. We just kept adding. lol

My friend Brian still has and races his SC.

Ben still has his SC stored away somewhere.

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Love the wheels - I'll be curious to see everything mounted up and sitting on the ground.

Sidenote- that red manual SC4 makes me feel all kinds of tingly things
I'll definitely post pics once it's all installed.
The following users liked this post:
t2d2 (04-25-19)
Old 04-26-19, 03:54 AM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

excited for the new wheel finish
Old 05-11-19, 10:55 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

My old TE's have finally been installed, they match the black onyx so much better than my dwp. I told my friend to wash the car and send me better pics, but he has been out of the country.

I ordered these for the TE's a couple months ago. Parts from Japan take forever.

The monolith lugs are really cool. They're internally keyed, which means I can't use them since my car has ARP studs.

They have an optional plastic cap that can be bought seperately

Picked up "mid" caps for the advans too

Originally Posted by Anion
excited for the new wheel finish
I'm picking them up next week. The new brushed clear looks good in photos, but the brushed nickel looked good in photos too, and you saw how those turned out. Hopefully all is good this time.

I'm not excited to get them back anymore. The shop has had them for a little over 5 months. I've spent a fortune on these wheels, and I'm already thinking about putting them up for sale at a loss as soon as they come back instead of buying tires for them.
Old 05-16-19, 11:15 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

After 5 and a half months, my wheels are back from the shop.

I was originally quoted 10 weeks to refinish my wheels in Brushed Nickel. It seemed like a long time, but they basically told me no other shop could reproduce this finish, so I didn't have much of a choice.

This was the picture that they sent me at 10 weeks to show me the plating was done.

Some time around week 14, I was sent this picture telling me there was some corrosion on the faces and that's why this pitting exist. At this point I'm annoyed, but I want my wheels back.

I have my friend pick up the wheels for me, and he drops them off for me at a local meet. I see the quality of their work and I'm pissed. Besides the pitting I was told about days earlier, there are runs in the clear, the plating has some chips, and there is dust in the clear. Not what I was expecting at all for having to wait 14 weeks. I was shocked they would even return this back to me.

I had to wait a week to calm down before I talked to the shop about how we were going to resolve this. In the mean time, I reached out to every major wheel refinisher in the area + every wheel manufacture I have connections with for recommendations. Everyone was helpful in trying to get this resolved for me and gave me recommendations all over the world. In the end, the consensus was, they couldn't reproduce the finish or didn't want to because it was time consuming and costly. They all told me that my best bet (given my time constraint) was to have the wheels done in brushed clear. It's the closest in appearance and can usually be knocked out in 2 weeks.

I go back to the shop and we agree to a partial refund and he will redo my wheels in brushed clear. It ends up costing me another $300 to redo the wheels again after the partial refund, but it's still better than the $700 other shops were going to charge me to fix this.

Here is the final product:

This whole experience was a huge headache and left a bad taste in my mouth for these wheels.
Old 05-18-19, 04:35 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Very nice wheel ! I bet they are more expensive than most running stock SC300 / SC400 are sold .
Old 05-18-19, 07:46 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
Very nice wheel ! I bet they are more expensive than most running stock SC300 / SC400 are sold .
They are, but they hold their value better than the SC does. I also took it a step further and sized them for a MKIV supra, so I know there will be a market for it when its time to move on. If my research was right, then I should be able to fit a 295/30/19 r888r in the rear on the mkiv with shaved quarter panels.
Old 05-21-19, 10:40 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Tires for the advans came in Saturday afternoon.

18x10 +35 with a 295/30/18. Fits pretty close in the rear, but seems like it is good to go.

I like this look a lot more than the te37sl I got last year
Old 05-22-19, 08:20 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Car looks great! That's a lot of meat in the rear... Mine already struggles to turn the 265's without a little convincing..

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build