megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what was the results on that hid swap?
Old 01-21-19, 09:21 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Headed out to the Eibach Throwback II meet on Sunday with Nick. We were originally going to park towards the back, but the staging team told us to move to the very front.

Went to go grab lunch with some of my friends afterwards. My friend's white S14 and my other friend's ridiculous widebody and supercharged ES.

A picture of Nick's SC on our drive home

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Nice work sir, she's looking sharp! I had my radiator explode on me only a few weeks after buying the car lol.
I'm thankful it cracked at my house instead of while I was driving the car.

Originally Posted by BLK13X
I'm liking that retro I need to do a new set for mine.
I'd recommend the kit from OG status. It's thought out and designed better than the setup I got from Luxurymods back in 08.

Originally Posted by megamax
what was the results on that hid swap?
I haven't had time to install them on the car. Hopefully some time in the next couple of weeks.
Old 01-22-19, 05:12 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe

When I grow up , I want my SC to look like yours .
The following users liked this post:
Blkexcoupe (01-24-19)
Old 03-01-19, 10:22 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

It's been raining a lot here in socal, so my car has been stuck in the garage. I took it out to a cars and coffee last week because it was sunny for a couple days.

My buddy James made me park next to him to get pics.

My wheels faces are still at the refinishers. Hopefully they'll be back some time in March. I've collected everything to put them back together once they're done.

Went with 24k gold bolts for this build

New (fake) caps. I'll be ordering the authentic ones, but I need the serial number off of the wheels.

New barrels and lips (these took a while to locate since the wide barrels aren't commonly used)

Old 03-12-19, 05:54 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Ordered some parts back in December and they've slowly been showing up from Japan:

JDM Sidemarkers - My friend saw them on Nick's car and wanted a set, so he asked if I could help him locate them since he heard they were discontinued. I figured if we were paying for shipping from Japan, we might as well make it worth it, so I bought all the ones that were available.

Headlight seals

Door seals (I got this idea from Shane)

Old 03-13-19, 05:54 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,196 Likes on 830 Posts

Oooh good call on the door seals. For my car being a '92, it's still so air tight that when I close the doors the sunroof pops up a little lol.
Old 03-13-19, 12:42 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The door seals will make a huge difference. One of the best things I have done on my car.

Shane
Old 03-13-19, 05:02 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Oooh good call on the door seals. For my car being a '92, it's still so air tight that when I close the doors the sunroof pops up a little lol.
Mine still do that, but my car has a lot of wind noise that I never noticed until I let my friend test drive my car.

Originally Posted by SSmith
The door seals will make a huge difference. One of the best things I have done on my car.

Shane
That's great to hear. Did you ever change the moonroof seal?
Old 03-16-19, 07:08 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

That's great to hear. Did you ever change the moonroof seal?
Are they replaceable?? My current one is pretty quiet, but it would be nice to know if there's an option for the future.
Old 03-17-19, 09:43 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Friday was officially 10 weeks for my wheels. They're still not done, but the shop was cruel enough to send me a teaser.

The finish is Brushed Nickel Clear (like bathroom faucets). The entire face is stripped, prepped, nickel plated, the top of the face is brushed (leaving the windows nickel), and then clear coated.

The only thing missing in that video is the clear. They said it should be done next week, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them 2 weeks at this point.

I installed the door seals, and they're so much thicker than the old ones which made it hard to close the door at first.

Unfortunately, it didn't fix my wind noise issue. Next step would be looking into replacing the door hinge. My door is starting to sag, so it might not be sealing properly.

Originally Posted by t2d2
Are they replaceable?? My current one is pretty quiet, but it would be nice to know if there's an option for the future.
I believe it's complete with the glass. There is a weather seal for the entire sunroof assembly that is replaceable.
Old 03-17-19, 01:39 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

My doors are always difficult to close because of the sealed pressure; I thought that was inherent to this car. Regarding wind noise, it's not coming from the top of the windshield? I notice mine has a decent amount from that area, which I think is normal since my earlier 98 SC300 also had that issue.
Old 03-19-19, 09:47 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

I believe it's complete with the glass. There is a weather seal for the entire sunroof assembly that is replaceable.
Ok, that's what I thought, but you got my hopes up with it sounding like there's a way to replace the weather strip on the glass.

I can't picture what the seal you're referring to on the overall assembly is...
Old 03-19-19, 12:24 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,196 Likes on 830 Posts

Loving the supra seats!

Also - can we get some more pics of the ES300 - does he have a build thread on CL?
Old 03-19-19, 06:07 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
My doors are always difficult to close because of the sealed pressure; I thought that was inherent to this car. Regarding wind noise, it's not coming from the top of the windshield? I notice mine has a decent amount from that area, which I think is normal since my earlier 98 SC300 also had that issue.
It's coming from the B pillar. It's only noticeable when I put my head on the head rest, but it annoys me every time after my friend pointed it out. I've driven a bunch of other SC's and it's louder on my car than others.

Originally Posted by t2d2
Ok, that's what I thought, but you got my hopes up with it sounding like there's a way to replace the weather strip on the glass.

I can't picture what the seal you're referring to on the overall assembly is...
I never checked (before asking), but I remember Shane saying he was considering replacing it in his own build thread.

When I looked at the parts diagram (after you posted), there was a seal for the entire tray if you drop the headliner to remove the sunroof.

Loving the supra seats!

Also - can we get some more pics of the ES300 - does he have a build thread on CL?
Thanks, I would like the seats a lot more if they worked properly. I want to replace them with recaros, but the 12-16 week wait for them to be custom made turned me off.

I'm not sure if he has a build thread for the car on here. You could always check out his IG for pics: https://www.instagram.com/dixonpai/

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 03-19-19 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 11:42 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

When I picked up my SC4, the rear drivers side window assembly wasn't sealed correctly (I guess it had been replaced before and they used the wrong type of sealant, according to the bodyshop guys that repainted my car) and I could hear cars driving next to me along with excessive wind noise. Though that's probably something pretty rare to happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build