Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 08:31 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

My friend offered me a deal I couldn't say no to on some supra TT seats. He bought these to swap the motor assembly with the seats in his supra. Now I'm left with his worn out motor to fix.

I ordered the gears from gamiviti.com in hopes that it works. I read mixed reviews on supra forums.

I tried cleaning the seats, but they're a lost cause, so I went ahead and ordered leather samples from ridies

I was originally thinking of wrapping the seats in brown to match the window trims or light oak to match the original interior color. Only the front seats will be done for now, so I didn't want to stray too far from the original color theme.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 09-30-18 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-30-18, 08:35 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Broke down the supra TT seats to clean them and install the gear.

The old gear was completely worn through

O.D. of the new gear

Lowest point on the stock gear

On supra forums, I found a lot of people have issues with cracking the Gamiviti gear. Gamiviti recommends heating the metal gear and pressing on the plastic gear or putting their plastic gear into boiling water to soften it. I opted to put the metal gear in my vice and heat the plastic gear with a heat gun, then used a 14mm socket to press it down to fit.

Seats fully assembled and cleaned

While I had the heat gun out, I decided to split some lights that nnnickkk donated to me. I wanted to use his old headlights for parts and ship out the bezels to be rechromed for my TSX retrofitted housings. After splitting the lights, I noticed his chrome bezel was in better condition than mine.

His are on the left and mine are on the right.

Mine have lost a lot of their original shine

The turn signal area on mine was starting to turn clear because the reflective coating is worn out

Nick's bezels will be going into my TSX retrofit for the time being. I'll send the old bezels out to be chromed when I'm ready to start my supermade headlight project.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 09-30-18 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-30-18, 10:33 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

pics arent working
Old 09-30-18, 01:04 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
pics arent working
All pics or only the most recent ones? They seem to load on my computer and phone. I guess it's time to change host again.

*Edit* I think I fixed them.

*Edit 2* The photos stopped working again after an hour or two. I changed the host for the photos in the last 2 post.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 09-30-18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-01-18, 08:51 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Working now.
Old 10-02-18, 10:33 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Last night was not a good night.

I installed the supra seats only to find out the power harness is completely different. Everyone tells me it goes in like stock. I figured out how to wire everything up, and the power seat isn't moving forward or back, but the reclining function works. I think maybe I tightened the rail adjuster too much, so I decide to back it off and maybe the seats will start moving. This was a huge mistake, because it ended up stripping the gear (I didn't figure this out yet).

With replacement gear 1 broken, I decide to install my spare. I was rushing it, and threw it in my vise to hammer off gear 1. I didn't align it properly in the vise and messed up the metal gear. It's internally damaged, but it won't effect anything. Kind of annoyed that I did that, but it's too late now.

Here is how I install the gear for anyone that is curious. I heat the gear up with a heat gun first before using the socket to push down.

Going back to how I messed up the metal gear, I also mushroomed the head too. Nothing some work with a file and sandpaper couldn't fix

Everything goes back in, I check for alignment and the motor works perfectly. I moved the seats back and forth maybe 4 times before everything shuts down. Now the power seats aren't working at all. It won't move forward or recline. I have to use the manual adjusters to move the seat again (breaking new gear #2) in order to pull the supra seats out and install my oem seats. Now the oem seats won't work. I checked all the fuses they're still good, passenger power seats still function, and I checked the harness with a multimeter and it has power. Memory seat still has an output when I press the buttons and seat belt sensor still works, but the seat motor won't move forward or recline on either seats. I hooked my car up to the charger hoping the battery was just low, but it didn't change anything. I also pulled the battery to reset all the ecu on the car and still nothing. As of right now, I can't drive the car because I can't bolt a seat in.

I'm supposed to take the car out to an event this weekend, so I need to figure out how to fix this. Anyone have any ideas or the wiring diagram for power seats?
Old 10-02-18, 11:05 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My previous experience with this old electric motors is it’s pretty gunked up inside the motors and the terminals. Try cleaning up the motors?
Old 10-02-18, 11:26 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OG Dada
My previous experience with this old electric motors is it’s pretty gunked up inside the motors and the terminals. Try cleaning up the motors?
I'll look into it. I'm thinking I'll install the supra seats and manually adjust them to a fixed position since the gear is already broken, then move the car out of the garage and work on the SC seats on my work bench. Right now, it's just a cramped mess.

On a side note, I picked up a morimoto retrofit kit, so I can see what the output is like.
Old 10-05-18, 10:13 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OG Dada
I took the supra TT seat motor a part and it looked new inside. No gunk at all.

For any of you that would need to move the seats manually, disconnect this tube that connect both rails together. It's flexible, so you can yank it out. If you try to move the seats without disconnecting the bar, the gears will strip.

I put the supra seats in for the time being and manually adjusted the seats back in order to bolt them into place.

After the seats were installed, I realized by brake lights didn't work and I couldn't shift the car out of park. I ordered a new brake light switch and installed it. The switch wasn't the problem. It ends up, when I was testing the fuses I plugged the stop light fuse into the empty slot (for heated seats). Swapped the fuses back and I was good to go (or so I thought). I took the car for a drive and it felt under powered. The car wouldn't move under idle power and I couldn't make it up my own driveway. It ended up being the brake switch. I threaded the switch too far in, so it always engaged the brakes. Once the switch was readjusted, everything was good.

The supra seat is only a temporary solution. There are a few problems with them as is:
1. The seats are too far back and I can't move them forward.
2. The seat is reclined too far back and I can't move it forward.
3. The gear is stripped, so the seat shifts during braking.

The battery got drained a lot on the first day, so it's been on a tender ever since. The battery could never reach 100% charge. The car cranks, but it's super slow. I ordered a new battery from Lexus to avoid being stranded in the future.

The part number was 00544-MF24F-630, it's a size 24 battery used on the newer SC. Originally, they brought me a size 27 battery which is larger and used on 95 and older SC. After I told them it was wrong, they double checked and got me the right size.

I finished swapping the light bezel from Nick's lights. My driverside bezel was a lot more damaged compared to the passenger.

Both lights assembled

Two rears are the new lights, and the front one is my TSX retrofit

I'm very happy to have my retrofit back on the car.
Old 10-22-18, 11:06 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Seats are still broken, I haven't had much time to try and diagnose the problem with my stock seats during the week.

I ordered some pedal pads for the clutch pedal and manual brake pedal. Part number is 31321-14020, Quantity required: 2 (1 per pedal)

Went on a nice cruise with my friends a couple of weeks ago. The black supra with the hood popped is one of my friends and the other supra was a stranger that parked next to me.

Group shot of the Lexus coupes (RC-f and LC) at a local meet

My spare parts will be split among the other 3 SC's since this build is getting closer to being "complete"

*Edit* Also, join in on this projector group buy, so I can get my parts... lol https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...l#post10340034
Old 11-02-18, 01:24 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Seems like it's always a trio

Ordered some michelin AS 3+. The tires were a lot wider than I was expecting. Hopefully it fits... lol

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 12-06-19 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-02-18, 05:05 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Beautiful ride bro!!! Love the pics!!
What size tire did you go with?
Old 11-02-18, 06:18 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Beautiful ride bro!!! Love the pics!!
What size tire did you go with?
Same sizes I've been running. 245/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rear. This particular tire is wider than the sumitomo htr z3 I have in the rear right now. Im not sure if its wider than the Michelin pilot sports I had before the sumitomos.
Old 11-02-18, 08:18 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

That’s a great size for the rear, and that’s the same size I’m running on my new rear 11” wide wheels with a slight stretch.
Old 11-04-18, 11:24 AM
atoledo
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
My friend offered me a deal I couldn't say no to on some supra TT seats. He bought these to swap the motor assembly with the seats in his supra. Now I'm left with his worn out motor to fix.

I ordered the gears from gamiviti.com in hopes that it works. I read mixed reviews on supra forums.

I tried cleaning the seats, but they're a lost cause, so I went ahead and ordered leather samples from ridies

I was originally thinking of wrapping the seats in brown to match the window trims or light oak to match the original interior color. Only the front seats will be done for now, so I didn't want to stray too far from the original color theme.
Sweet! Can't wait to see how your finished seats turn out. As always AMAZING thread

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build